[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Erik Satie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: satie.jpg (36KB, 250x350px)
satie.jpg
36KB, 250x350px
>>
post gnossiennes
https://dontrustheruin.bandcamp.com/track/satie-first-gnossienne
>>
>>74105955
is this you playing?
>>
>>74106117
no, just a patrician folk band
>>
>>74106145
Never heard any interpretation like it, but I'm triggered by the lack of accents and grace notes

The song feels so lifeless without it, like a mechanical playback
>>
File: Maurice_Ravel_1925.jpg (157KB, 457x607px) Image search: [Google]
Maurice_Ravel_1925.jpg
157KB, 457x607px
And now for an actually talented composer of the early 20th century:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnKFIp7CahY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjiSSWubIuU
>>
>>74106234
Ravel was influenced largely by Satie in his early years and later in life was one of the people bringing Satie to the attention of other people

Alongside being close friends and collaborating in many things over the years

They wrote hundreds of letters to eachother and I've read a lot of them, it is clear Ravel held Satie in high regard
>>
Gymnopedies aged like milk, sounds like royalties free music retards use for their amateur YouTube channels
>>
an actually good first gnosiennes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNt-YWuzmx4
>>
File: folder.jpg (36KB, 340x334px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
36KB, 340x334px
Always listened to this version and now anything faster sounds off to me.
>>
>>74106234
Here's another

Debussy = Ravel >>>>>>>>> Satie
>>
>>74106353
Gymnopedies is not his best, not even close.

Just his most well known for the reason you stated
>>
>>74106523
Also a close friend of Saties and largely influenced by his work, probably the only other person to have higher regard for Satie than Ravel

Both Ravel and Debussy met Satie at a young age and he guided them in their composing
>>
>>74106557
And they both completely out-did him in
>>
>>74106800
>outdid him
I wasn't aware it was a competition

These two people both held his music in high regard, does that not show that there's something to be appreciated there if you consider those two to be the the best of the best?
>>
>>74106800
Life isn't a dick-waving competition, that's for insecure little boys. Like you.
>>
>>74107122
this guy gets it

and for the record Ravel and Debussy are some of my favourites
>>
>>74106441
one of the best

worth checking out Aldo Ciccolini also
>>
>>74106919
>if you consider those two to be the the best of the best
I don't, they are good for the period, although not who I would consider the best of the early 20th century (Strauss, Mahler and Schoeberg take that position)
Satie is just backwards for the time. Simple melodies with simple accompaniment only goes so far and its not far enough to keep me interested. His "Parade" is ok, but still not a 'great' piece of music.
>>
>>74107273
I almost didn't use the term best of the best cause I knew you'd immediately grasp it and argue the use of the term

it's not the point I was making

And if what you said just now is your view why did you wait until now to say it, this is a thread about satie not about who "out-did" him

go fuck yourself
>>
>>74106275
Satie was only a intellectual inspiration, like the actor Barrault was for Boulez.
His music has nothing to share with Satie's music, not theoretically, not aesthetically, not philosophically. They were completely different artists (Ravel was clearly better).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbX6NFTyjZw

>>74107122
>>74106919
>French music has never been about competition

Oh boys. Let's diss Lully, Rameau, Debussy and Boulez for having been opportunist bullies. Certainly the fact that they treated music as a competition means that their music is shit, right?
Can you imagine saying as stupid as "art is no competition" while reading Aeschylus,mor while looking at a Raphael's painting? You're full of shit.

Stop applying morals to art, you dummies.

>>74106557
Not true, Satie taught Ravel and Debussy nothing about composition, and none of their stylistic trademarks can be traced back to him. They just liked his music as young composers, and promoted it. This is the extent of his influence.

>>74107273
Just say you like German music (or music that follows those aesthetical canons), rather than saying that French composers were worse. That's like me saying that Mahler is actually shit because Palestrina and Joaquin used counterpoint in a more trascendent manner... or, I could admit that I can't really blame a musician for not having followed a tradition. You should do the same, and try to analyze composers on their own terms. You'll quickly realize that in fact judgement is still possible, even when you abandon the traditional framework.
>>
>>74107422
t. insecure little boy. Go get your mom to fix some tendies while you hide in your basement away from the world.
>>
>>74107434
Kill yourself.
>>
>>74107434
Damn, you showed him
>>
>>74107461
No need, i'm proud and happy with manly myself, unlike you who has to make a competition out of everything to prove how 'manly' you are. Maybe you should kill yourself, so the rest of us actual men can enjoy the world instead of being a whiny little bitch like you. Honestly, come up with something a little better before you ridicule yourself even more.
>>
>>74107471
I wasn't the person you were calling names like a 5 year old.

Again, kill yourself.
>>
>>74107483
No, but you're just as bad, might as well be the same person. Sad, frightened little panicking children, desperately trying to prove yourselves on an anonymous forum where no-one cares. We're here to enjoy music, go back to /b/ if you want to shitpost.
>>
>>74107483
>waaah he called me a name, mom!
>>
>>74107422
So do you actually believe music and classical music of all genres is a competition?
>>
>>74107693
a lot of composers definitely focused on that aspect
>>
>>74107710
Name one and provide a source.
>>
>>74107724
you can research it yourself if you like, I'm not going to try and convince you
>>
>>74107724
Mozart would see music as a pantheon: once you get in there you're outside of competition (so when comparing Handel and Bach, there is no such thing as worse or better, but when comparing Haydn to Gluck there surely is).

Also his conception of music was very arbitrary (any sound that is not beautiful is not music). He would actually talk about taste as if it was a real, measurable thing, and he would wuickly identify composers as bad. There are countless letters in which he aknowledges that he was the "best"m which directly implies a competition. I'm sure that exposing such a position in aesthetics on /mu/ would result in peoplemcalling me a retard, yet holding these beliefs made Mozart compose Don Giovanni.

>>74107471
All greek tragedists and comediats were fags, weren't they?
>>
>>74107802
You still carrying on? They were still insecure little boys, no matter how wise they supposedly were. Life isn't a dick-waving competition, when you grow up, you'll realise that.
>>
Satie is art music for people who can't into art music. Seeing a chart here with him on it alongside something like say...Robert Ashley's Private Parts (which is an extremely boring work compared to his operas) makes me cringe because they are the equivalent of the jazz fan that only listens to the Cowboy Bebop OST and The Epic in terms of their ignorance of the music.
>>
>>74107858
what's wrong with the Cowboy Bebop OST?
>>
>>74107942
It's got variety on the surface, but every track is pretty simple/boring considering the best the genre has to offer. Very limited takes on improvisation with straigtforward beats that don't go anywhere. Great for getting people into jazz because it's easy to digest, and does a good job of being the background music it's supposed to be, but that's it.
>>
>>74107858
X music is for X people

you'll overcome this view eventually I hope
>>
>>74107831
You're forgetting the part in which with your shotty beliefs you've achieved nothing, while Mozart with his backward, "insecure" beliefs touched the peaks of Western Civilization.

Could it be, maybe, that you're being an absolutist close-minded idiot? Could it be that MAYBE you're not holding the secret for artistic and musical perfection?

Again, you're just applying your shitty morals on art. You don't know how a composer is supposed to live, yet you still think that your IDEA od the composer's lifestyle and ethics is enough for you to say shit like "art can't be a competition", which would disqualify a good chunk of our most valued masterpieces in one single swipe.

Stop being so full of shit.
>>
>>74108003
Well said
>>
>>74107995
Nope. Some artists transcend the view for sure like Miles Davis whose great work Kind Of Blue often tends to a new fan's first record as well. But there's actual depth in that record.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.