[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I get into music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3608.png (27KB, 549x413px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3608.png
27KB, 549x413px
Hey /mu/, I've recently stumbled upon the internet sort of music sphere, and I've found that I really like some stuff posted here. However, it seems like the variety of artists and topics discussed in detail far surpasses my own musical knowledge. I know few of the albums past the basic, most essential /mu/core albums like ITAOTS and IDAGARIOM. So my question is this: how did you amass such a diverse knowledge of so many artists, albums, and songs? How might I work to do the same? Any help is appreciated. Smartass answers aren't requested, but are tolerated. Cheers.
>>
Why would we tell an autistic normie like yourself?
>>
>>74102889
I just leech off of chart thread and rym users tastes, and I advise you to do the same. It's pretty fun and easy having others do all the work for you.
>>
I would like to know this too. I understand that it involves constantly listening to a lot of music and different artists at all times, but how do I go about doing it systematically? Do I just stick to a genre and listen to all the important stuff from that?
>>
>>74102948
Thanks man.

I have one post agreeing with me, a second helping me, and a third callin me an autistic faggot.
The golden ratio?
>>
File: aOqmpcf.jpg (2MB, 1500x3075px) Image search: [Google]
aOqmpcf.jpg
2MB, 1500x3075px
Most people here have been listening to music for the majority of their lives, don't think this is a quick thing to acquire
Keep listening to new stuff (new to you) and find your taste
You said essential mu core, so this bigger chart might help

>>74102948
Also you can do this

>>74102964
If you find a specific genre you like, don't stick yourself in it and beget listen to other genres
Definitely explore what you like though
If you like an album, listen to the discography
Read shit online for info about bands/artists and their influences and shit like that
>>
File: mucore.jpg (3MB, 1781x4325px) Image search: [Google]
mucore.jpg
3MB, 1781x4325px
>>74103131
Meant to upload this pic. Not sure the differences and either will probably be fine
>>
>>74102889
Just listen to whatever you want to. You can click through shit on youtube. Read rolling stone lists, look at similar artists on lastfm or rateyourmusic, listen to the radio, watch tv, do whatever you want. I don't know how you can't constantly find new music.
>>
>>74103161
Quick question. The people who post all these charts with hundreds of albums, have you all listened to each and every one of those, analyzed them, and formed your own opinions?
>>
>>74103194
I have not, but i have listened to a good chunk of it
If I'm ever looking for new music ill pick one i havent listened to and if i like it ill use that album as a starting point for other music
In a aay i use these albums as a base when I'm looking into new music
>>
>>74103234
That helps. I just feel intimidated when I consciously try to look for new shit to listen to. Plus all these fuck huge lists really seem like a lot. I go to a few new albums, listen to them, then go back to my usual shit that I've been listening to for a while. I wanna get out of that and expand my knowledge and taste.
>>
>>74103194
>have you all listened to each and every one of those, analyzed them, and formed your own opinions?
Not >>74103161 but yes, every single album on that chart is essential and I've heard 98% of them. You don't HAVE to listen to every one of them, it's just that they are talked about here a lot and they are good way to 'branch' out. You would be better off listening to all those albums to know what people are talking about. Also if you happen to post on a chart thread, don't make your entire chart /mu/ core. Branch out and go on RYM and have some taste first.
>>
>>74103279
Honestly most of the time i look into shit i see posted with cool album art then move to related artists from there
It just takes time to build up the knowledge and develop your taste
>>
>>74103316
What is a good enough timeframe to do it? If I fully dedicate myself to it, is it possible to improve and build up on my taste by the start of next year?
>>
>>74103342
I think you can get to about the same amount of knowledge as a lot of anons here in that time but it's really a never ending thing
I'm listening to new stuff every week and learning new stuff all the time
I've been really into music pretty much my whole life and have been on mu for about 4 years and i still only feel kind of knowledgeable on music as a whole
Some specific artists i enjoy a lot i feel like i know a lot about
I guess it depends how broad you're talking about
>>
>>74103489
This is one of the good discussion threads I've seen on here in quite a while. Thanks for all the help anons.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.