[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do people pretend to like this shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg (136KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg
136KB, 300x300px
why do people pretend to like this shit?
>>
>>74100972
It's great. Come back when you've matured.
>>
Halleluwah is better than your favourite song
>>
>>74100972
I don't.
I really like it. "Faust" is an album that I think is pretentious garbage, but Tago Mago is great.

YOU CAN MAKE EVERYTHING
WHAT YOU WANT WITH YOUR HEAD
>>
They don't like, they only say they do to look patrician when anyone who knows shit about music knows that the first side is a weak ass attempt at psych jams due to lack of variety in the playing while the second side is a piss poor attempt at the kind of drumming one would hear on a Manfred Schoof record.

Not how when Jaki (arguably the standout on this record) died, we barely had a couple threads. But when Chester died, a guy everyone looks down upon, the same posters were far more active. That's because even the posters know deep inside that this album they pretend to like actually sucks ass.
>>
>>74100972
This is a very good album

>>74101105
It's called relevance you fucking dimwit. CAN has not been in the limelight for years and years.
>>
>>74101105
> when Jaki (arguably the standout on this record) died
WHAT
WHAT

I stopped coming to /mu/ regularly some time in 2016 so I completely missed this news. What a tragic loss.
>>
>>74101179
Neither has Linkin Park.
>>
>>74101219
Linkin Park was much more popular than Can ever was, it's not even comparable.
I'm pretty sure there were a lot of cross-board posters shortly after he died.
>>
>>74101248
>I'm pretty sure there were a lot of cross-board posters shortly after he died.
this
>>
>>74101248
Yes, but surely Can's good enough to have gotten more in-depth threads than what was literally just three 300 post threads. But nope, nobody actually likes that shit so they don't even care. It's very telling, too that when somebody shits on the second half, the so called "fans" won't even try to describe what makes it work and just call others plebs or something like the first response to OP itt.
>>
>>74100972
Plebs should not try to understand. Just stay in your pleb world.
>>
>>74101390
you just proved his >>74101323 point, fag
>>
Tago Mago is about a bad trip on Mushrooms.

I don't expect normal people with normal life to enjoy it.
>>
i forgot how bad this board is
>>
>>74101059
Faust IV is great tho
>>
one of the best albums ever
>>
>>74100972
It's fairly pretentious, but I think it sounds enough like more mainstream psychedelic rock that it's enjoyable. In terms of song structures I feel kind of like they're a precursor to latter-period Swans, like it can get repetitive but after you listen a few times you notice some interesting variations.

I'm not sure it's a masterpiece, but I like it.
>>
>duude I'm SOOO green XD ahahahah
>>
>>74101105
this is actually true
look at all those butthurt hipsters who call OP pleb, yet they can't throw a single convincing argument
>>
>>74101105
>first side is a weak attempt at psychedelic jams
'Paperhouse' is pretty strong (if not too varied, but it's undeniably an enjoyable song). I agree that 'Mushroom' and 'Oh Yeah' aren't varied enough though.
The 'jammiest' song of the album, 'Hallelujah' is pretty varied with the more traditional rock parts spattered with some discordant violin and synthesizer portions towards the latter half.
>the second side is a piss poor attempt at the kind of drumming one would hear on a Manfred Schoof record
The second disk is not THAT drumming focused, the majority of the 17 minute 'Aumgn' features little to no drumming and is mostly a violin, double bass, and synthesizer piece with some vocal chanting, until it becomes a percussion focused build up in the coda.
The next track is mixed between a more traditional part and a part with freely played synthesizer, singing, and drum machine. This is admittedly more percussion focused, but the drum machine plays in an unusual manner that's out of sync with the other instruments. This might be the part you were talking about, but I think a drum machine, simply due to the fact that it is a sequenced machine that has to attempt to play in time, will always work differently from any real attempt at free improvisation on an instrument.
The closer 'Bring Me Coffee or Tea' is another fairly innocent and good overall psyche rock song.
In a more non musical perspective the album flows very well and I've heard it compared conceptually to the overall experience of a psychedelic trip.
>>
>>74101970
If you think Halle is pretty varied, you have never listened to even Grateful dead that explore so many more ideas in a shorter amount of time, forget something that takes jamming to the next level like Amon Duul's Yeti which explores even more ideas than that.
>Augmn
Oh yeah, I forget about the sparse/boring part of that track before things get whacky, but that's what it is.
>This is admittedly more percussion focused, but the drum machine plays in an unusual manner that's out of sync with the other instruments.
Have you never listened to free jazz in your life?
>I've heard it compared conceptually to the overall experience of a psychedelic trip
You mean in this topic, a few posts up? The comparison doesn't make any sense because the album doesn't fully accommodate for a comedown.
>>
>>74100972
Future Days, Monster Movie, and Ege Bamyasi are all better than Tago Mago
>>
Things are not pretentious for not just being traditional or straightforward. This is why you can tell most of you have never even picked an instrument up or written any kind of music.

If you had, you'd know that most musicians who try to experiment with their work don't necessarily take themselves too seriously and are simply trying to have some fun outside the box. The only ones who get caught up with the "pleb", "patrician" or pretentious bullshit arguments are the ignorant fags here.

Go outside a bit more, get a tan.
>>
>>74101595
I'm with you on Faust IV, but Faust itself is nigh unlistenable
>>
>>74102192
the seasoned vet has schooled us
>>
>>74101059
>>74102227
>"Faust" is an album that I think is pretentious garbage
>Faust itself is nigh unlistenable
Fucking plebs. That album or TVU&N are the best rock albums ever.
>>
>>74102246
Am I wrong? How is this album pretentious? It's got melody, insane rhythm, and worthwhile experimentation
>>
>>74102192
this
>>
>>74101446
do you have a source for this?
>>
>>74102393
Pretentious =/= bad or unworthy, in this case it's just sort of the expectation (i.e. the pretense) that fans of psychedelic rock want to listen to a double album of longer cuts, which by and large wasn't true before or after Can's prime.

(you can sort of justify it if you lump them in with King Crimson, etc. but I've never felt that Can was prog per se, that's a different animal)
>>
>>74102471
I just think critiquing music for being pretentious is as vapid as calling it "overrated".

Can wasn't the same type of band as Crimson, they just had some genuinely interesting ideas for writing music and took them to every album's front, without the need for monumental composition or "showing off". I actually think their music is kinda minimalistic.
>>
>>74101749
>muh arguments
The only argument you need to hear is that I genuinely like it and I don't get any prestige out of saying that here, since mu posts are anonymous.
Being incapable of imagining other people enjoying stuff that you don't get and justifying it by calling them pretenders is pretty plebby.
>>
>>74102522
Not sure why the first guy who said "pretentious" said it, but in my post I mainly said it to bridge the gap from the overly negative OP to my own defense of it, not because it was a true criticism. The pretenses are just something that throw me a little bit when I listen to Tago Mago, they don't ruin the album for me but they are there in the back of my head.
>>
>>74102607
I understand that. I don't think it's perfect in any way, but I enjoy it a lot, just as much as Future Days or Bamyasi
>>
>>74101059
Faust is like a sound collage more than it is rock music
>>
>>74101186
It was just a couple months ago I'm pretty sure, maybe back in April?
>>
>>74102559
yep, no arguments
>>
>>74102465
not him but that's pretty apparent from the album structure/estrangement I feel, like how future days is obviously structured for a come up->trip
>>
are we talking about can itself or are we being hypercritical of a particular can album while agreeing can is obviously legit
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.