[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the concept of that album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: Not_Available.jpg (50KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Not_Available.jpg
50KB, 300x300px
>pic related
>>
"Prog is probably a joke, guys"
>>
File: 5b6b476a764543c98772690fccab1090.jpg (141KB, 770x1027px) Image search: [Google]
5b6b476a764543c98772690fccab1090.jpg
141KB, 770x1027px
Perhaps the quintessential independent musicians of the 1970s, the Residents (formed by composer Hardy Fox and vocalist Homer Flynn) performed in android costumes and never revealed their faces or identities. Relocated from Louisiana to San Francisco in 1966, they debuted in 1972, during the dark age that followed the demise of the hippie movement and the collapse of acid-rock. They composed their most innovative works between 1974 and 1976, when the new wave wasn't even born yet, but their isolation from the music scene remained absolute until the new wave allowed them to emerge as new prophets of a way to make, perform and conceive music. "Obscure" and cryptic, their pieces were part of a multimedia show whose antics transposed the music-hall into the new wave and whose sound emphasized a collage-style approach to composition.

Not Available (1978), conceived too in 1974 but released several years later, one of the milestone recordings of the era, was their most sophisticated work of art. Its suites virtually coined a new form of avantgarde music out of symphonic primitivism and cacophonous world-music. Despite the gargantuan display of sounds, they offered a bleak and terrifying vision of humankind.
>>
>>74088538
Each of them was going through a hard time and made that album as a form of therapy. Each one of them wrote one of the songs, and an epilogue was added at the end. They said they would only release it if they all forgot about it, after it was finished, but 4 years later they just said fuck it and released it anyway.
>>
>>74090094
>They said they would only release it if they all forgot about it
I keep hearing that but it just doesn't make any sense to me
how would they release it if they don't even remember it exists
>>
>>74088538
"So what about we just play randomly and instead of singing we just babble nonsense and make weird noises lmao"
"dude avant-garde lmao"
>>
>>74090132
did you only listen to the first minute of the album
>>
File: 1497925689703.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497925689703.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
>>74090132
>play randomly
haha, im not trying to really defend it here but have you even listened to it? it;s got an obvious amount of order to it
>>
>>74090125
I'm guessing that they would have to find the recordings after forgetting about it, but a lot of people think that the story behind the album is bull shit.

If you compare Not Available to the albums that it was supposedly recorded in the same time as (Meet the Residents and Third Reich'n'Roll) compared to the much more sophisticated sounding Eskimo, which came out they year after Not Available's release. Not Available and Eskimo have much more similarities.

But who knows, if they were genius enough to create Not Available, maybe they really could have done it three years or so earlier.
>>
>>74090194
>>74090202
Yes I've listened to it. I hate The Residents. They're the epitome of "dude avant-garde lmao", avant-garde entirely as a fashion statement but with pretty much no interest in the music.
it's not really random notes I was just memeing, but it was thrown together with no thought. Just a jumble of disparate and incoherent ideas that'll never hold a candle to serious avant-garde music.
>>
>>74090132
Dumb cunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtZSaoF3WWY
>>
>>74090293
t. listens to kendrick lamar
>>
>>74090293
Not Available is barely avant-garde
you can hate their other stuff but Not Available is very straightforward and pretty coherent
>>
File: 1492500438993.jpg (99KB, 456x402px) Image search: [Google]
1492500438993.jpg
99KB, 456x402px
>>74090293
>>
File: Capture.png (320KB, 725x475px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
320KB, 725x475px
>>74090337
great post anon, real good faith argument there.
>>74090322
rude also see image
>>74090342
honestly I probably prefer Not Available to some of their other stuff but I've never liked any of it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.