[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I think about Metallica?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: download (1).jpg (10KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10KB, 288x175px
What do I think about Metallica?
>>
their first four albums are great but then they started to suck, although their last 2 albums (excluding that shitty Lou Reed collab) were decent
>>
>>74079054

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Master of Puppets
3. And Justice For All
4. Metallica
5. Kill Em' All
>>
how the fuck should i know
>>
>>74079054
After they kicked out Dave and lost Cliff they went to shit.
>>
>>74079054
First two records are great, went down the drain after that.
>>
>>74079054
You think And Justice For All is a masterpiece.
>>
Am I wrong for thinking that if they stopped after AJFA they would be a more reputable band or nah?
>>
File: kikehammett.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
kikehammett.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
>>74079286
forgot pic
>>
>>74079316
I went to see them once. The audience woke up at Enter Sandman and fell back asleep after it.
>>
>>74079054
Megadeth is better overall
>>
I don't know, OP.
Please tell us.
What do you think abut Metallica?
>>
>>74079054
bunch of assholes

but on a serious note I fucking headbang to their shit in the morning driving to work, no greater feeling
>>
Daily reminder that lulu is underrated.
>>
>>74079054
They manage to be the most overrated band of the most overrated genre without even being rated that high.
>>
>>74080374
Stop living now and get better taste
>>
>>74079054
I've probably listened to thousands of thrash metal albums in my 11 years as a metal fan, but there has always been something special about Metallica's first 4. Highly recommended.

>Ride the Lightning
>...And Justice for All
>Master of Puppets
>Kill 'em All
>>
>>74079244
>>74080326

Same. We aren't psychic, OP.
>>
File: giphy.gif (3MB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 500x275px
>>74081104
you mean stop living now "or" get better taste?

If I stop living I can't get better taste

and also taste in music is subjective. Your most darling music can be fucking trash to my ears as well.
>>
>>74079128
Switch RTL and MoP, then switch KEA and s/t and you're good
>>
>>74079054
Their first four records are absolutely essential metal and anyone who disagrees is a contrarian
>>
1.One
2. Master of Puppets
3. Trapped Under Ice
4. Enter Sandman
5. For Whom the Bell Tolls

Try me
>>
>>74079054
Kill 'Em All is their best even though James Hetfield's voice sounds better on the No Life Til Leather demo. Ride The Lightning is pretty good too. Master of Puppets has is moments, but is the signal for the things to come. And Justice For All has a few good songs. Black has a few good songs. After that, it doesn't really matter. I thought their version of Ecstasy of Gold was ok though.
>>
>>74079054
I genuinely think Master of Puppets is a great album and that Hetfield is one of the few memorable metal vocalists.

I enjoy Metallica even though I don't like metal like many other white boys. I like noise rock, and it's 100% different, I guarantee it.
>>
>>74082222
what a basic bitch

1. Creeping Death
2. Whiplash
3. Dyers' Eve
4. Master of Puppets
5. No Remorse
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Master of Puppets [Elektra, 1986]

I feel at a generational disadvantage with this music, not because my weary bones can't take its power and speed, but because I was born too early to have had my dendrites rewired by progressive radio. The momentum of this band can be impressive, and as with most fast metal (as well as some sludge metal) they seem to have acceptable political motivations--antiwar, anticonformity, even anticoke. Fine. Problem is, the revolutionary heroes I envision aren't male chauvinists too naive to know better--they're not Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian, all flowing hair and huge pecs. That's the image Metallica calls up, and I feel no more obligated to summon their strength of my own free will than I would the 1812 Overture's. B-

...And Justice For All [Elektra, 1988]

Problem isn't that it's more self-aware than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock-in-trade is compositions rather than songs. Problem is that it's also longer than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock-in-trade is compositions rather than songs. Just ask Yes. C+

Metallica [Elektra, 1991] *bomb*

Load [Elektra, 1996]

The good thing about being old is that I'm neither wired to like metal nor tempted to fake it. Just as I suspected, these Johnny-come-latelies-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-es can no more do grunge than they can double-ledger bookkeeping. Grunge simply isn't their meter. So regardless of what riff neatniks think, this is just a metal album with the song lengths shortened and the tempos slowed, which is good because it concentrates their chops and tightens their songwriting, and bad because it also means more singing, which they can't. C+
>>
>>74082330
>these Johnny-come-latelies-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-es

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>74082385
1. Metallica were a little late to the party as far as jumping on the alternative rock bandwagon
2. It's not really alternative rock anyway, it's just a shorter, tighter metal album without the 6-8 minute tracks.
>>
>>74082330

I hate this cunt. I know exactly why he writes every word he does, and he makes me hate Boomers that much more because he's just about the inverse of what I like outside of rap. The fact that he nails a lot of the rap I like pisses me off because he's so clueless about anything without coherent lyrics.
>>
>>74082427
>The fact that he nails a lot of the rap I like pisses me off because he's so clueless about anything without coherent lyrics

All critics are like that. The problem is that metal is mostly based on sounds/riffs rather than lyrics and it's kind of hard to describe sounds, so critics really can only write about lyrics. This is why they have a hard time with metal.
>>
>>74081104
>>74081104
found the try hard plebian
>>
>>74082330
>giving AJFA a C+
What a giant, flaming homo.
>>
St. Anger is better than a good 50% of all metal albums.
>>
>>74082456
I don't even like metal. He's just totally lost without a lyrical reference. Look up his review for Loveless and this will be clear to you. He has no idea why it's a landmark, but his peers told him it was, so he reluctantly caved. Look at his writing and this is clear.

He's pretty sharp as far as rap goes for whatever reason. He's obsessed with black music. But as soon as you make something disorienting on purpose? He's lost.
>>
>>74082536
>He's pretty sharp as far as rap goes for whatever reason. He's obsessed with black music

Admittedly not many white music critics are, he said when he first started in the late '60s that most of his peers had no interest in black musicians other than bluesmen and Chuck Berry.
>>
>>74082888
That doesn't make it justifiable to dislike metal simply because blacks don't play or listen to it.
>>
>>74082888
That's fine. But it doesn't make it him a good critic for anything else unless I want to know the best artists for sociopolitical lyrics, which I obviously don't care about like most normal people.

I'm just fucking around. He understands the rap tradition. It's sort of a balance between lyrics/rhymes and vocal performance, and he somehow can parse it when most critics cannot. I'll give him that, as far as I've seen of it.

He's just the typical muh Beatles-listening Boomer otherwise. He probably took a shit in the middle of the only time he listened to Sister Ray and never thought about it again.
>>
>>74079114
fpbp
>>
>>74083139
>He's just the typical muh Beatles-listening Boomer otherwise. He probably took a shit in the middle of the only time he listened to Sister Ray and never thought about it again.
IDK, he said that punk rock was more effective protest music than most hippieshit. I think he never has been able to figure out metal but then most critics don't unless they're specifically writing for a metal website/publication.
>>
>>74083189
>IDK, he said that punk rock was more effective protest music than most hippieshit.

I'm sure he did say that, and that isn't why Sister Ray is the best song of popular music ever. It's like he listens to the same music as me but doesn't hear the same music. I can tell the difference between music that is meant to enhance a vocal performance and music that is just excellent (outside of Jazz, maybe he has a good taste in Jazz -- can't remember).
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 223x226px
>>74082292
>>
>>74083326
>And because I'd listened to a lot of jazz, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the cult of the guitar solo. Thus I came to believe the essence of good music lay in momentum and song form.
>>
>>74083139
Christgau seems to really like the mid-60s British Invasion-era stuff, which was mostly power pop and proto-pop punk. He seems to not like so much the late 60s when the music got longer, druggier, more technical, and more oriented towards AOR over pop hits.
>>
>>74083326
>It's like he listens to the same music as me but doesn't hear the same music

See, when I listen to something like Pantera or Slipknot, I almost get a kick out of the over-the-top vocals. How seriously can you take the stuff? Evidently Christgau thinks it's some angry, overwrought, tedious bullshit not worth his precious time.

Reminds me of Noel Gallagher calling metal "fucking nihilism". It's like some people don't get the whole campiness and humor of it
>>
>>74082292
>>74082222
>no motorbreath

you're just a couple of pansies
>>
>>74082116
This guy gets it
>>
>>74083803
i feel the same way, and i find people often do the same to hiphop

like why are you mad about someone like lil pump or carti, shit is fun and not meant to be taken too seriously
>>
>>74082222
you already lost when you put enter sandman on it
>>
>>74083803
>Evidently Christgau thinks it's some angry, overwrought, tedious bullshit not worth his precious time
He's right, you know.
>>
>>74083861
LIVING AND DYING
>>
File: Capture.jpg (115KB, 677x818px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
115KB, 677x818px
>>74079054

>only about 14 songs from the first 4 albums are good
>totally 1.5 hours of runtime
>after removing the instrumentals
>slow opening ending with shredding trope songs
>overall corny hooks
>shitty mastering of the KEA
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.