[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DX7 drone Album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 800px-Yamaha_DX7_Table_4.jpg (90KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Yamaha_DX7_Table_4.jpg
90KB, 800x599px
I just finished repairing my first DX7 (done a lot of other synths before) and boy it have DEEP BASS! I mean the 12bits resolution is quirky enough to get a beautiful grainy sound! The MK2 and following models weren't sounding as good IMO.

Does /mu/ know of any album/artist which solely use the DX7 for other style has classic 80's music and funk? Damn this beast has a big drone or even trap music potential! I'm surprised not to found more of artists using it nowadays (other than the occasional sample or two on a song)
>>
OP here, sorry for the syntax issues, it's 01pm here and I'm kinda drunk and, hell, not even a native english speaker

-have+has
-has+than
>>
>>74076561
brian eno liked the DX7.

supposedly kavinsky used only the DX7 for his first couple releases, but he's early 80s revival.
>>
>>74076561
why is everyone obsessed with this beyond shitty synth?

the thing about FM synthesis is that it's entirely digital, meaning your computer can easily make the same sounds. Just get Dexed, it's better in every single way. Or FM8 if you want to burn money
>>
>>74078423
>your computer can easily make the same sounds
>not understanding amping or miking/room miking
>not understanding the warmth of physical fm synthesis

I never knew an anon could be so retarded
>>
You could probably check out some of the Sega Genesis MegaDrive game soundtracks (Streets of Rage 2 is the "cool kids" choice that is brought up every time VGMs are mentioned) that use a rudimentary FM chip similar to the DX7 and the Lagrange Point Famicom soundtrack too that had an FM chip.

Haven't the DX7 been going up in demand and prices these days?
>>
>>74078472
You can still amp and mic with an audio interface.

>>74078492
>forgot my bump
>>
File: PA_2e_s.jpg (439KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PA_2e_s.jpg
439KB, 1000x1000px
>>74076561
here's oberheim matrix-12 drone album
https://jaripitkanen.bandcamp.com/album/planeetta-avaruudessa
>>
Visible Cloak's new record is pretty FM-ey. Completely gorgeous, tho there's plenty of acoustic instrumentation in it too.

https://visiblecloaks.bandcamp.com/album/reassemblage
>>
File: dual sine saw.jpg (256KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
dual sine saw.jpg
256KB, 600x800px
>>74078423
pretty much, if it's not analog fm it's shit.
>>
>>74078472
lmao no one is out here micing DX7s. the warmth comes from the old AD/DA converters but even that can be replicated with plugins
>>
>>74080457
>but even that can be replicated with plugins
How so?
>>
>>74080806
Waveshaping. Lots of waveshaping.
>>
>>74080425
What? Enjoy your lack of polyphony, velocity sensitive multi-stage envelopes, feedback or ability to have more than 2 operators.
>>
>>74080457
I don't think "warmth" is the right term. The DAC only contributes fuzzy distortion.
>>
>>74080806
saturation/distortion, eqing and reverb

FM8 can sit in a mix just like a DX7 would depending on the type of music you're making

this is coming from someone who doesnt use FM8 or a DX7 but the same holds true for most VST synths
>>
DX-7: The Album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD55i5BJdk4
>>
File: styx01.jpg (23KB, 522x425px) Image search: [Google]
styx01.jpg
23KB, 522x425px
>>74076561
This was the second synth I ever bought. For the time, I loved it (because it was cheap). I think it's pointless to own and use one these days, unless you're a collector/gearslut. If you really like the sound, more power to you. It IS kind of a fun keyboard to own. It was used on a lot of records during the 80s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVilgNifLcM
>>
>>74081762
Didn't he use Moog synths too for that record?

>>74081567
Actually, I tried using FM8 briefly, but I don't have enough skills right now to harness that kind of stuff. I just stick to the regular modular synthetizers (the Arturia plugs are realy cool).

What are some good VST for saturation?
>>
>>74081896
>Didn't he use Moog synths too for that record?
Minimoog, Emax, Prophet VS, Xpander. No DX7 anywhere. Front 242 used the DX7 all over everything though.
>>
>>74081949
Where should I start with Front 242?
>>
>>74082180
uhh I dunno. I'm not really a fan of that style. EBM is kind of silly. I think Geography is okay but none of the songs really go anywhere.

This is the DX7 heavy stuff though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1cRGVaJF7Y
>>
OP here, thank you all, /mu/ doesn't disapoint. I'm checking all your links and will check the future ones!

Coming from DOS gaming I dig the FM sound and as much as I like the emulation for what it has to offer I'm an hardware guy at heart. Nevertheless this baby is big and heavy so I might trade in for a TX7 provided the sound is as much pleasing in my hears.
My eyes are also on the TX816, but finding one in EU at reasonable prices is night impossible currently
>>
>>74082541
The TX7 isn't any different aside from the shitty user interface. The TF1 cards in the TX816 are the same too. I think the TG77 is the best choice overall, though.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.