[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most effective way to discover new music? all of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: powerslave.jpg (530KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
powerslave.jpg
530KB, 1500x1500px
What is the most effective way to discover new music? all of Spotify's suggestions are shitty
>>
I use Spotify, Sonemic, Discogs, YouTube and my record store to find recs.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (175KB, 1298x983px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
175KB, 1298x983px
> go to discogs
> look up a genre tag, or go to your fave album and click a genre to see it's tag
> go to the releaes tab
> have fun with thousands of albums and look them up on slsk or jewtube or wherever

> alternatively go to discogs
> pick a favorite band or album
> click on the record label
> check out other shit on the record label
>>
and whatever you do don't listen to /mu/ or r/indieheads or anywhere about what they think of something or " essentials". Most people on here are underage kiddies who just follow whatever p4k, fantano, of the indie scene tells them too. remember, new albums come out EVERY SINGLE DAY, so theres alot of great shit beside the 10 albums that are talked about here.
>>
>>74075148
That's nice minimalist album art
>>
before i started browsing /mu/ all id do is go on wikipedia pages for genres i was getting into to and find bands there that i had never listened to, and then id just find all that stuff on youtube to listen to. you can use spotify or apple music if you've got that. i've got apple music now and it actually has a pretty good recommendation system but i barely use it. spotify recs suck, i agree.

>>74075261
i second this
>>
>>74075261
The /mu/ essential charts are incredibly useful for picking up new genres, and I speak from experience. Pretty pointless to shut out music discussion boards when looking for new music, regardless of the circlejerks.
>>
>>74075224
literally just do this
>>
>>74075148

everynoiseatonce

it creates 200+ tracklists for all 1500+ genres that spotify currently acknowledges along with their echonest database
>>
>>74075224
> click on the record label
> check out other shit on the record label

This

Certain record labels are pretty genre specific.

If you listen to shit from Subpop you're gonna get indie college hipster shit

If you listen to shit from Nuclear Blast you're gonna get hot topic hair metal shit

etc etc
>>
File: 614ds5RurYL.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
614ds5RurYL.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
>>
I've found youtube recommendations have gotten really good over the past year as I guess algorithms improved. Shame it has me marked down as a serious weeb just because I listen to some Japanese jazz classics like Ryo Fukui.

Krautchan also has a good mix of music tastes if you don't mind international music. Ne Tvoe Delo is seriously good and I would never have found out about them if I stayed in this American echo-chamber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyhcjpsF6E
>>
> using spotify
>>
>>74075992
I don't know men youtube recommends me only bands that i already know
>>
>>74075261
Everyone should at least be familiar with the essentials though, really anything that's highly acclaimed and influential.
>>
File: General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg (2MB, 1500x3102px) Image search: [Google]
General_essentials_with_kanye.jpg
2MB, 1500x3102px
>>74075148
Finish the chart or check out music from Sharethreads and the previous ones.
>>
>>74076151
that's fine, just learn about other shit and stop talking about it over and over again.
>>
Do you Crowbar?
>>
>>74076239
>Essential Classic Albums

>Fleetwood Mac: Rumours

Confirmed this list is legit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.