[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with Butthole Surfers? Do I just go with pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

Where do I start with Butthole Surfers? Do I just go with pic related and power through the whole discography? Something to skip? Somewhere to stop? Already on this one and I'm liking it quite a bit
>>
Chronologically then get disappointed towards the end
>>
>>74065655
Or go from electriclarryland to their older records backwards and get hyped
>>
Their debut self-titled EP is 100% essential. Everything after Electriclarryland is garbage
>>
>>74065655
>>74065675
I think I'll go with their last album after, then their second, then second to last, towards the center
>>
>>74065703
Just go backwards from electriclarryland
>>
File: aoftheh.jpg (1017KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
aoftheh.jpg
1017KB, 750x750px
Hairway to Steven or electriclarryland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzrvC-vz3Z4
>>
>>74065710
B-but I already listened to Psychic...
>>
>>74065727
Whatever
>>
File: butthole-surfers2.jpg (219KB, 660x400px) Image search: [Google]
butthole-surfers2.jpg
219KB, 660x400px
>>74065616
Go back and listen to their first EP. Then go onward through their albums and EPs and stop after Locust Abortion Technician. If you want more content, they've appeared on multiple compilations with original material like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjOomC5_08M
>>
>>74065616
Power through them all. Honestly people put down Independent Worm Saloon and Electriclarryland because their more popular - sure they are not as mind-blowing or revolutionary as Psychic Powerless but they're still very enjoyable.
>>
>>74066608
I started with Independent Worm Saloon back when I was in high school. I thought it was pretty alright, but after I delved into their earlier releases I never really went back to it.
>>
>>74066808
I know what you mean, I kinda did the same - that being said Tongue is awesome.
>>
>>74066608
pretty sure a lot of people agree that Weird Revolution sucks
>>
>>74066492
>>74066492
>>74066492
PLEASE GOD do this, Brown Reason to Live/Butthole Surfers EP is just as essential as Psychic Powerless is.
>>74065616
Never understood this. Pretty sure you already listened to Psychic Powerless from elsewhere in the thread, but imo if you want to get to really know an artist just start at the top of their discog. Either that or just listen to their best/essentials only to see if you dig it
>>
>>74067192
I think the reason he started with this one is because Psychic Powerless is on the top of their Discogs page in the album section.
>>
>>74067230
Yeah, I mean I think it's far better than anything else they've released. Nothing after it really catches my ear the same way Psychic Powerless does, it's one of my all time favorites.
>>
>>74067260
Its a great album, but I wouldn't say its far better than all the others. Locust was the one that really blew me away when I first heard it and Brown Reason to Live is a classic.
>>
...another man's sac
>>
>>74065616
I, for one, think Independet Worm Saloon is a good album an some of the bashing it gets comes solely from people not liking the new direction they took.
>>
>>74067313
Locust is probably the most realized of their experimental efforts (Not saying all surfers isnt experimental, but those first four or five releases are gold.) I first listened to Psychic shortly after Ween's The Pod, which probably set the stage for Psychic becoming my favorite surfers.
>>
>>74066608
imo IWS is a mixed bag. some all time classics for sure (Who Was In My Room Last Night, Dust Devil, Clean it Up, etc.), but also a lot of just okay tracks and the worst thing the band recorded ever, "The Annoying Song" (and I don't even care if it's intentional, it just fucking sucks) Electric on the other hand is forgettable as shit, which is probably the worst thing i could ever say about the buttholes.

Locust Abortion Technician's my personal favorite album of all time, and Psychic is a strong runner-up. everything from their s/t ep to iws is fucking legendary
>>
File: crazyaznbike.gif (327KB, 153x113px) Image search: [Google]
crazyaznbike.gif
327KB, 153x113px
>SOILED
>I'M SOILED
>SOILED
>>
>>74067230
I started with it because it's their first studio LP
>>
>>74068318
I feel silly for my comment earlier about Discogs. I would've probably done the same thing if I were in your shoes. I hope you enjoy listening to their other albums, as well.

BTW Heres a cool demo for their song Negro Observer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab70SA7ggvA
>>
>>74066492
this, their first ep is their best release imo. go listen psychic and LTA after
>>
bumpo
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.