[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the defining music of Gen X, other than grunge?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: genx.png (278KB, 476x751px) Image search: [Google]
genx.png
278KB, 476x751px
What is the defining music of Gen X, other than grunge?
>>
>>74057757

There really wasn't one. Gen X didn't have a definitive "music"style, but it was music itself that defined gen X.

More albums were sold during this gen (1970s & 80's) than any other time in the history of music.
>>
>>74057944
More albums were sold during this gen (1970s & 80's) than any other time in the history of music.
Damn really? Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why was that?
>>
>>74058350
booming population and good economy
>>
>>74058350

Speaking as a gen Xer, it's literally like all we had. No internet, smart phones, and video games were so-so at best. Music was everything to us.
>>
>>74058367

millennials and boomers far outnumber gen X and the 70's economy was subpar.
>>
>>74058456
I guess, but wasn't that the same for the previous generation?
>>
>>74057757
Electronic music really got off the ground while they were growing up.
>>
>>74058543

Well, that's true. Although rock was still pretty fledgling then - devils music and all.
>>
>>74058548
Yeah, EDM was the unsung underdog of the time. I mean 1996-1997 had Fatboy Slim's first album, Homework by Daft Punk, and Fat of the Land by The Prodigy.
>>
>>74058456
>SNES
>Genesis
>PS1
>so-so
>>
>>74058543
They had books, and that new television thing.
>>
>>74058783

More like:

>Pong
>Atari
>Coleco Vision
>NES
>maybe Genesis

By the time the mid 90's rolled around most of us grew out of video games.
>>
>>74058548
Also Hip Hop.

The 90s are weird in that there's something for everyone, from electronic music to hip hop to alternative rock and metal. They also had many different inputs growing up, and towards the end the Internet was a viable thing for sharing music.

It's definitely a generation defined by music. Add in that it's the latchkey generation - most people grew with both parents working full-time jobs, and it had extraordinarily high divorce rates just in general. If the parents of Millenials are helicopter parents, the parents of Gen X just really weren't there, or didn't care.
>>
>>74057757
Alt rock/no wave/New wave or Synth rock
>>
>>74057757
They literally invented hip hop you 15 year old faggot
>>
>>74057757
disco
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.