[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: fdda.jpg (433KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fdda.jpg
433KB, 1200x1200px
What on earth are these guys so popular for? Just wondering before diving into their music
>>
making noise rock without pussy footing or feeling inadquate
>>
File: 1499573477332.jpg (127KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499573477332.jpg
127KB, 375x500px
>>74047563
Early swans pretty much pioneered no wave/noise rock
Middle swans made some pretty good gothic rock
And the swans now made cathardic hypnotic long ass pieces of music (which is their best imo)
Make sure you listen to their stuff in chronological order
>>
>>74047563
Pretty much what >>74048170 said. If you're into folk/noise/post rock/industrial music there's probably an album in their catalog for you
>>
>>74048170
swans was after no wave and almost everyone at the time thought of swans as a discount sonic youth
>>
they invented this kind of music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM
>>
>>74048170
Chronologically is the worst way to get into swans. Its best to go backwards
>>
>>74050251
Nah, the best is to start in the middle. The Great Annihilator, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Love of Life, The Burning World, and Children of God are the easiest to get into. From there, listen to Holy Money and Greed, then Filth and if you really like that then Cop. Then Soundtracks for the Blind and everything after in whatever order.
>>
>>74048513
>discount Sonic Youth
Come on. SY has never ever been anywhere near as punishing as early Swans even on their no wave records. Yeah it's true that Swans initially didn't get a lot of love from the scene, but that's more because of how heavy and brutal their sound is, not because of muh discount Sonic Youth.
>>
>>74048170
>Early swans pretty much pioneered no wave/noise rock
Swans fans are delusional
>>
>>74050684
i didn't say that. people around that experimental rock new york scene did. my point is they absolutely did not pioneer no wave and had they had little effect on what the future of noise rock would become. this guy >>74048170 is talking out of his ass and thinks there's any salvageable new swans
>>
>>74051031
Citations for the exact phrase "discount Sonic Youth"? Again, I know they were not loved in their initial years in the scene, but I never heard anyone call them that before considering how different the two bands are.
>they absolutely did not pioneer no wave
100% true. That goes to either Mars, DNA (or more specifically Arto Lindsay) or Teenage Jesus & The Jerks.
>had they had little effect on what the future of noise rock would become
True as well. Swans had a larger influence on industrial, sludge metal, and grindcore.
>thinks there's any salvageable new swans
Newer Swans stuff is totally salvagable. Music doesn't have to be all muh darkness to be good.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.