[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kate or Bjork.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: bjork-kate-bush-2011.jpg (67KB, 606x304px) Image search: [Google]
bjork-kate-bush-2011.jpg
67KB, 606x304px
Chose only one.
>>
Kate by far
>>
Kate.
>>
File: grimeydoge.jpg (314KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
grimeydoge.jpg
314KB, 1200x800px
A challenger appears
>>
pj harvey
>>
>>74010610
Not only was she not a choice, she isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of quality to either of the artists being discussed.

Kate, but they're hard to compare.
>>
File: lana_del_rey.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
lana_del_rey.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>
>>74010610
>>74010656
Laughable.
>>
>>74010610
>>74010656
No.

>>74010611
She's great, but not as great as Biork or Kate.
>>
Kate. Easy choice tee bee aich.
>>
>>74010610
go away and kill yourself
>>
>>74010595
obviously bjork lmfao
>>
Kate definitely. Bjork is talented but she's too much of a bluepilled leftist faggot with a little girl interpretation of how the world works and it shows in her songwriting. Ideology aside, she relies way too much on her image to the point where it shifts focus away from her music and makes the visual aspect seem more interesting than the aural. Also none of her albums are as good as Hounds of Love.
>>
>>74010610
Talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight lmao
>>
Bjork, I agree with >>74012231 but Bjork is a little more varied and has more good material. Bush I think burned a little brighter for a shorter period of time, although I haven't heard everything she's done.
>>
File: madonna-look-3.jpg (18KB, 190x252px) Image search: [Google]
madonna-look-3.jpg
18KB, 190x252px
>>74010595
stevie nicks
>>
>>74012231
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>74012231
For me:
1. The Dreaming
2. Hounds of Love (tie)
2. Homogenic (tie)
4. Post
5. The Kick Inside
6, Vespertine
7. Never For Ever
8. Aerial
9, Vulnicura

The rest isn't good.
>>
>>74012438
Forgot Debut, it will be above Aerial
>>
>>74010595
Kate by miles
She's a true original. There's no musician before her that you could point to and say she's trying to emulate.
Innovative with her incorporation of dance and theater into her live performances and videos. Took her music in whatever direction she wanted and handled the production herself. She's also qt with the voice of an angel

There would be no Bjork without Kate Bush
>>
>>74012438
>no The Sensual World
Your opinion isn't good
>>
File: 1479698784793.jpg (260KB, 736x916px) Image search: [Google]
1479698784793.jpg
260KB, 736x916px
>>74012298
Fair enough. I suppose my main contention is that Bjork relies too much on novelty and gimmicks (kooky fashion and self-mythologizing) whereas Bush just comes across as a true-blue talent that doesn't need any of that shit.

>>74012405
See pic

>>74012438
>what is the sensual world
>what is medulla
Nice list bozo.
>>
>>74012517
I like some songs from it (the title track is excellent for example) but overall i find it too 80's for my taste.
>>
>>74012477
The correct opinion
>>
>>74012438
>No Sensual World
MHHHHHHHMMMM NO
>>
>>74012539
>too 80's for my taste
I'm convinced that pop music largely peaked in the 80s. If "too 80s" is your only excuse for not liking The Sensual World (or any other music from the 80s) then you're either a teenager with some growing up to do or a big dumb faggot or both.
>>
>>74012477
This desu. Even though i would put homogenic over the dreaming and the hounds of love, there is no denying that kate bush was a better songwriter and has had a much larger influence.
>>
>>74012639
I'm im my 20's lol. I find the production dated, that's why i said it's too 80's. The same with the Red Shoes.
>>
>>74012694
And anyways, I fucking love Kate, she's in my top 5 artist, she's a genius, I love 4 of her 5 first albums and Aerial, i don't want to upset other Kate fans.
>>
>>74012535
Yeah, no question about the talent. Bjork is something of an anomaly where you can't quite say she's just a singer being propped up by producers, but there doesn't seem to be true genius behind the smoke and mirrors, either. I find her maddening that her music is always worth listening to but never blows you away with its inspiration.
>>
>>74012694
I get why people think a lot of 80s production sounds dated (and some of it certainly does) but I don't think that's the case at all with The Sensual World. I really like 80s production in general so I may be biased, but I definitely feel that TSW is in a different league. Give it another listen if you haven't recently.
>>
>thread didn't turn into a grimesthread
good going boys, I'm proud

>>74010610
/mu/ rule 1. Discuss music, artists, and instruments here. All images should relate to the topic at hand.
>>
>>74012761
She co-productes on all her albums. She gets pretty upset that people don't recognize that, Here is an article about this:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/01/21/bjork_pitchfork_interview_she_s_tired_of_not_getting_credit_for_her_music.html?wpsrc=fol_tw
>>
>>74012807
Ok I will give it a try, the last time I listen to it was along time ago, so maybe i change my opinion anon.
>>
>>74012761
>>74012841
iirc Bjork also writes the string arrangements on her albums. I didn't know she did the beats tho, I just always assumed that the IDM producers she worked with, like Matmos or Arca, were behind that.
>>
>>74012761
>I find her maddening that her music is always worth listening to but never blows you away with its inspiration.
Pretty much sums up my opinion of her. For all the hype I thought that at least one of her albums would really connect from start to finish but none really have. Post/Homogenic/Medulla came close but it always seems like there's always something missing. I think it's that her voice is ultimately overbearing and you focus more on the timbre and inflection of her singing more than any other aspect of the music/production/songwriting.
>>
>>74012841
I think the problem is that "production" is such a blanket term and means such different things across different genres. Like in older pop music it tended to mean whoever was conducting the orchestra and/or writing the arrangements. In rock it's usually someone involved in the mixing, maybe the engineering and possibly some of the orchestral flair if there is any. In electronic music (and rap/hip hop) it tends to mean all these things and more like Bjork does, so everyone and their dad ends up getting listed as a producer and the term gets cheapened.

Bjork hasn't helped her own cause in other interviews I've read; she's talked about methods of composing that make it sound like hackwork, and honestly I think it comes out sometimes in her crappier music. She has moments where she comes up with really cool shit, but isn't terribly consistent.

glad to be in a thread where people are actually discussing her music and not just posting the same 10 shit pictures of her, just by the way guys
>>
>>74012932
For me there are some songs in Homogenic that blow my mind everytime,p: Joga, Unravel and Bachelorette. I think that is a mixture of the orchestra and string arregment and her vocal delivery.
>>
>>74010595
Too difficult to decide; I connect much more with Björk, but it's pretty obvious that Kate had a wider influence and was probably more consistent

>>74012231
Have you seen the interview where she basically says women should ignore feminism? It's around 1:30 I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ1FPAhD2Fg

>>74012953
Out of curiosity, what methods of composition did she talk about? I haven't read many interviews in which she talks about writing her songs directly
>>
>>74013155
>Out of curiosity, what methods of composition did she talk about?

This memory could be partially confabulated, but for either Biophilia or Vulnicura she was talking about composing via tablet. The way she described this program she uses made it sound like one of those basic apps you can download for free where you can drag notes around a scale and do other rudimentary things.

I never dug around for it so I'm sure this is in one of her Wikipedia entries, but I can't seem to find the exact thing by just scanning them, although it does mention it in passing that she did some of those albums on iPad apps.
>>
Björk
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.