[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where do you start with Country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: unnamed.png (146KB, 300x300px)
unnamed.png
146KB, 300x300px
where do you start with Country?
>>
yer sisters cooter
>>
Whitehouse
>>
File: 1310587752528s.jpg (5KB, 166x231px)
1310587752528s.jpg
5KB, 166x231px
>>73991963
>>
File: johnny-cash-finger-2.jpg (59KB, 541x480px) Image search: [Google]
johnny-cash-finger-2.jpg
59KB, 541x480px
>>
File: 4L_tAJkb41a.jpg (7KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
4L_tAJkb41a.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
I posted this in the last thread, but this man unironically got me into country music. I wanted to try the genre out but this board is fucking trash with country recs.

http://www.scaruffi.com/history/country.html

it's not bad
>>
These are the country artists I've rated 4.0 or higher on rym. inb4 >Rolling Stone country or something similar.

Eddy Arnold
Gene Autry
Bobby Bare
Ed Bruce
Hayes Carll
The Carter Family
Johnny Cash
Guy Clark
Miley Cyrus (she has a killer Dylan cover)
Jimmie Davis
Bob Dylan (Nashville Skyline is pure country imo)
Blaze Foley
Lefty Frizzell
Merle Haggard
Butch Hancock
Emmylou Harris
Waylon Jennings
The Highwaymen
George Jones
Kris Kristofferson
Arthur Miles
Willie Nelson
Eddie Noack
Gram Parsons
Johnny Paycheck
Webb Pierce
John Prine
Jerry Reed
Marty Robbins
Jimmie Rodgers
Billy Joe Shaver
Sturgill Simpson
Hank Snow
Hank Thompson
Merle Travis
Ernest Tubb
Townes Van Zandt
Dale Watson
Doc Watson
Hank Williams (the great one)
>>
>>73991942
Jimmie Rodgers, then Hank Williams and from there you can branch out but remember that most of it's bad, there's always trash from any decade like Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys or any pioneer of the Bakersfield Sound
>>
>>73992186
>Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys
>Merle Haggard
>Buck Owens
>trash
Get the fuck out of this thread.
>>
>>73992172
>Miley Cyrus (she has a killer Dylan cover)
If you're referring to that one off Blood on the Tracks (I forget which song it was), kill yourself, if she covered another song and did it well, please share
>>
>>73992201
I'm sorry, I thought all Bible-thumpers would be in bed by now...pop country was always trash and always will be trash
>>
>>73991942
You start with Townes Van Zandt, and then you stop.
>>
>>73992228
The Bakersfield Sound was a reaction against pop country anon. You're thinking of the Nashville Sound.
>>
File: Capture.png (39KB, 1267x102px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
39KB, 1267x102px
And even then, there are plenty of Nashville Sound songs that are good. Every hipsters favorite old-school country album, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs is Nashville Sound, as is Ring of Fire.
>>
File: 4L_jPpzNuDC.jpg (34KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
4L_jPpzNuDC.jpg
34KB, 355x355px
start with the /mu/core country
>>
>>73992249
I'm sorry, I grew up with a lot of that music around me and I never really learned the genres until afterward so I can't always remember which ones I hate and which I love but for me country is very polarizing and may as well be two completely different genres

Country from the folk roots is interesting to me and I love, the despairing of Hank Williams or Jimmie Rodgers that would in turn influence artists like Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan, that's my shit...stuff with stories like Marty Robbins or Johnny Horton or Bobby Bare, that stuff's great

Country about badonkadonk or sexy tractors or about how women shouldn't leave their men even when they're cheated on, that stuff is all garbage and can go to hell, I'm biologically related to the core fanbase of that sort of shit and it's disgusting and breeds a horrific "culture"
>>
>>73991942
you dont
>>
File: MI0003740404.jpg (148KB, 1080x962px) Image search: [Google]
MI0003740404.jpg
148KB, 1080x962px
>>73992381
Frankly, a lot of the artists you mentioned also made a lot of releases considered Nashville Sound. It's not until the 80s that country started morphing into what we consider country these days. Country's been around for almost a hundred years, it has a much wider variety of sounds than people give it credit for. I get what you're saying but don't be so quick to dismiss huge portions of the genre. I was lucky enough to be raised on Outlaw Country, so I'm not as averse to the overall genre as a lot of people my age are.

Also, if you're interested in the Bakersfield Sound, which is basically Honky Tonk but electrified, check out this compilation and it's sequel, which is volume 2.
>>
>>73992583
I'll look into that rec, I will say that I have listened to A LOT of country music and have put in the effort to explore stuff from like every decade from the 20's-00's but the biggest problem with country for me, or exploring it, is it's viewed as a single genre so you get recs for artists that are nothing alike and almost total opposites and it keeps me from ever getting my hopes up for an artist because what someone calls outlaw may just be pop

That said, I'm a big fan of folk and blues and such so often I enjoy country from that angle...but I do like pop country from different eras too, it's just a difference in tone and culture and origins of the various artists

Like Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette in the late 60's were both pop country stars but one's singing about how she's her own woman and the other about how it's a woman's duty to never question her husband and both of them are considered a big deal...that sort of divide makes no sense to me, why would anyone like both of them?

Oh, and I fucking HATE when a classic country tune from the days of raw emotion like T for Texas gets covered by someone like The Everly Brothers and just turned into generic shit and that gets praised...it happens all the time and is bullshit, like Reba's cover of Fancy is just stupid and misses any sort of human story
>>
Trash can
>>
>>73992834
i get just not personally liking reba's cover but it's acclaimed and successful for a reason. i've never seen anyone refer to it in the way you have
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11tjR5ZflSw
if you don't like this album you have shit taste sorry!
>>
>>73992949
Well, I have issues with covers in general, so that's my issue there, for example, I'm a huge Dylan fan so the fact that most of his biggest hits are actually other artists covering his songs has always rubbed me the wrong way and I probably feel an unnatural disdain for some of the covers I feel are less sincere because I was attached to the original, that sort of thing

Anyway, I didn't mean to annoy you and I'll leave but I do get a lot of pent-up frustration with country music because it's a genre that is pretty much impossible to complain about while also having listened to 100+ artists because usually people who listen to country, only listen to country and love it and everyone else avoids it like the plague but says they hate it without exploring it
>>
>>73991942
gram parsons
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.