[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mu/'s thoughts on dj screw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 220px-3ndamorni1.jpg (17KB, 220x219px) Image search: [Google]
220px-3ndamorni1.jpg
17KB, 220x219px
/mu/'s thoughts on dj screw
>>
vaporwave pioneer = the goat
>>
>>73980044
Where should i start with him?
>>
>>73980036
3'N the Mornin' Part 2 is honestly one of my favorite 20 albums of all time

his second best is Bigtyme Records, Vol 2 followed by Endonesia
>>
File: IMG_0775.jpg (104KB, 595x595px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0775.jpg
104KB, 595x595px
Hard to think when your mind goes blank
>>
>>73980044
I'm gonna eat the bait but please fucking neck yourself.
>>
>>73982551
Just let a nigga sleep
>>
>>73982675
Well relax anon, it is kind of true in a sense
>>
>>73982675
>implying vaporwave isn't just chopped and screwed with "a e s t h e t i c"
>>
>>73982551
HOW THE HELL IM SUPPOSED TO REST IN PEACE
>>
I really don't fucking get it guys. His music shouldn't be as good as it is. It's almost like a guilty pleasure, but with no guilt.

His sound is so weird and seemingly bland, but it's actually pretty intricate and he does a great job of accentuating different aspects of the track.

>>73982551
>>73982693
>>73982829
He also had good sense of hooks, and manages to completely re-design some songs.

P.S. Youtube has a ton of screw tapes if you ever want to hear something new
>>
>>73982973
>He also had good sense of hooks, and manages to completely re-design some songs.

Case in point - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTmJZ8wI9Q
>>
Legit great producer whose sound was misunderstood and spawned legions of awful copycats.
>>
The atmosphere especially on >>73980036 this album has a unsettling vibe to it. It gives me a feeling of melancholy like I'm stuck in a string of extremely dangerous impoverished Houston area section 8 apartments.and makes me want to go to a What-A-Burger to seek refuge
>>
>>73982551
backstreets might be one of the greatest pieces of music ever
>that transition from After I Die
>>
He did what he wanted to do and loved it, you can tell he had passion.
If anything, he had no one to copy and craved his own path, I don't love all his songs, but some of them are legit hidden gems.
>>
>>73983419
>>73983419
>I don't love all his songs
Yeah I don't think many people would argue all his stuff is gold. Not only did he produce so much that some was bound to be sort of lame, but his sound didn't always work super well with the track he was chopping and screwing.
>>
>>73983447
It's not that they sound lame, I keep in mind that this guy was on lean and high while making this or that it was meant to be heard while on that, so I give the benefit of doubt since I could very well like them while drugged, it happened with Viper to me.
The thing is that they sound too samey sometimes, like it can get boring fast if the mixtape has a bad selection.
>>
>>73983742
For the record Screw was doing this music before he got into lean. In fact it's more about weed than codeine.

"Although it is often presumed that Screw music's slow pace is meant to simulate the drowsing effects of drank, Davis said in a 1995 interview with Rap Pages magazine that it was marijuana, and a desire to hear lyrics more clearly, that inspired his process. "When you smoking weed listening to music, you can't bob your head to nothing fast," he explained."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/nov/11/dj-screw-drake-fever-ray
>>
>>73982675

he's right you know

>inb4 muh aesthetic makes it different
>>
>>73982748
it's true.

anyways
>>73980053
there's so many compilations but what you want are the songs when he really chopped shit up. probably best to look for some rap songs you already know so you can appreciate his take on them.

also there are some good chopped and screwed producers still going. DJ Screw was the original and best, but there's a lot of good shit besides him too. the Youtuber Drobitussin, for example
>>
>>73982551

This is probably the most psychedelic album in hip-hop history.
>>
>>73982748
>>73980044
>thinks vaporwave is just chopping and screwing hip hop samples
Jesus christ, when did /mu/ get even worse than RYM when it came to electronic music?
>>
>>73982973

He doesn't just change the tempo. He also changes the instrumental on some tracks by changing the instrumentals. His transitions are god tier.

My favorite thing is when he chops a bar and then replays it. Sometimes when I listen to hip-hop song and there's a cold line I usually like to rewind and hear it again and screw does this exceedingly well.
>>
>>73984699
it was strongly INFLUENCED by c&s. can't deny that.
>>
DJ screw/ SUC bio pic when?!?!
>>
File: wiki.jpg (209KB, 1366x416px) Image search: [Google]
wiki.jpg
209KB, 1366x416px
>>73984699

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Chopped and Screwed music isn't solely sampling hiphop. On one of his tapes, he chops solely RnB/Soul and makes a sex playlist..

He samples a wide variety of music, not just hiphop. You either willfully ignorant of that fact by your clear lack of knowledge of Screw's discog, or you're willingly being disingenuous.

Vaporware sound is in no way idiosyncratic in any shape of form. It's plunderphonics with tempo manipulation, which was pioneered by DJ Screw.

If I was going to take a c & s 80s pop/soul song and then upload it as a very vaporware track, no one would question it, because sonically i's a slight aberration of chopped and screwed music. Only think different is the songs being used in some cases or some effects used that did not exist in Screws era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfFt4rQa4Y
>>
>>73984937
ive always assumed that chopped and screwed listeners deny a connection because they don't want their genre associated with vaporwave (presumably since they think vaporwave is trash)
>>
>>73985102

Not really. If you look at this thread or any time there's a DJ Screw thread you'll notice the exact opposite happens.

Funnily enough the people who claim C&S isn't heavily influential on vaporware don't even know much about vaporware to begin with.

What people may deny doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>73985253
I guess I was unclear, I meant to say that those that deny a connection think vaporwave is trash, not that all C&S listeners think that.
>>
>>73985296

I haven't really seen it that much. Usually it's just race baiting. Someone will say vaporware was pioneered by a black DJ and then people will start grasping at straws.
>>
Late Night Fuckin Yo Bitch rules.
>>
also this has no right to be this fucking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnweKclCLRk
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.