[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ian Curtis and Joy Division

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_3596.jpg (91KB, 955x535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3596.jpg
91KB, 955x535px
Was Ian Curtis one of the greatest song writers of all time or just a depressed anglo who vented through his music, or both, and was the rest of Joy Division necessary for Ian's song writing to continue
>>
I think Ian would have had a long and prodigal career with and without JD a la Morrissey and David Byrne. On the other hand he could have been more of a one track genius like Robert Smith, but who's to say. Also, usually good music is created through depressed people venting, so i would say both.
>>
Didnt Ian Curtis orginally intend for Joy Divsion to just be a punk band? From what I understand, Martin Hannett brought most of the innovation/ vision
>>
>>73977110
Where did you get that from? If that's true, then it sucks even more that he died. The punk songs they did were the best
>>
File: download2007_2.jpg (27KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
download2007_2.jpg
27KB, 425x283px
>>73976726
>a one track genius like Robert Smith
Spotted the pleb
>>
File: joy division live.jpg (140KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
joy division live.jpg
140KB, 600x888px
>>73978485
How can one man look so awful, I don't understand.
Doesn't he find himself repulsive?
His music is good, but gosh darn.
>>
>>73978530
He look's fine shut up
>>
>>73978474
listen to their warsaw recordings (the band before joy division). they're shit. they even have a recording of a song that would later be used in unknown pleasures, and that song was shit too.

joy division were an average punk band with a genius producer, tbqh.
>>
File: aifl7big.jpg (220KB, 1414x1441px) Image search: [Google]
aifl7big.jpg
220KB, 1414x1441px
>>73978674
Listen to substance and all of those singles they had as warsaw. I fucking love all those songs, the quality might not be top notch but the songs themselves are fucking stellar
>>
File: Larry Clark, Untitled.jpg (138KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
Larry Clark, Untitled.jpg
138KB, 800x530px
>>73976658
Anyone read the Mark Fisher essay on Joy Division? Good shit, I'd recommend if you haven't.

>http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/004725.html
>>
>>73978530
Can't be that repulsive if he got a massive following of girl's at the time and ended up emotionally cheating on his wife. Anyway, who gives a shit?
>>
>>73976658
I don't think Ian actually wrote that much music anyway. From my understanding he acted more like a supervision of other three guys and wrote lyrics of course.
>>
>>73978485
Peter Hook and bernard Sumner were the masterminds behind both Joy Division and New Order, Morris was very good as well
>>
>>73978726
Thank you!
>>
>>73976658
I think he would have made 3-4 more good albums and then go on to become a reclusive writer a la Thomas Pynchon
>>
>>73980336
Not saying this as a bad thing for the record. I think it's tragic that he checked out so soon because he was a brilliant writer. He had a way with words and knew just what to say to tug on your heart strings. He definitely would have been a fantastic novelist.
>>
File: natcurtis.jpg (62KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
natcurtis.jpg
62KB, 736x490px
This probably sounds really heartless, but I'm honestly kinda glad that things happened the way they did. Since Ian killed himself, he gets to be a martyr of rock music. He left behind a bunch of amazing songs with Joy Division, and then New Order got to make Blue Monday type mega club hits. and Ian looked so internally tortured, continuing to live would've been more suffering for him than his suicide was. The worst thing about his suicide was that his daughter grew uo without her father. But musically, Ian Curtis' suicide adds a certain untouchable mystery to Joy Division.

Also, does anyone else think Ian's daughter has his eyes?
>>
File: 1490794707551.jpg (310KB, 1440x1622px) Image search: [Google]
1490794707551.jpg
310KB, 1440x1622px
>>73976726
>a one track genius like Robert Smith
HHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA
>>
>>73980887
Tony Wilson said it himself: "Killing himself was the best thing he could have done for his career."
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.