[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outsider Music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2414.jpg (115KB, 750x1087px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2414.jpg
115KB, 750x1087px
Best loner/outcast albums and songs?
>>
Jandek
John Fahey (except not really)
Daniel Johnston
Hasil Adkins
Red Krayola
Mayo Thompsons solo stuff as well
Cornelius Cardew
Scratch Orchestra
Robbie Basho
Half Japanese
Ivor Cutler
Abner Jay
Meredith Monk
>>
FUCKIN DEATH GRIPS YUUUUUUUUUUUUUH AHHHHHHHH
>>
>>73946449
haha
>>
>>73946395
>Meredith Monk
what? are Philip Glass and John Cage outsider musicians as well?
>>
>>73947657
No, but only loners and outcasts listen to them.

Ivor Cutler isn't an 'outsider' either.
>>
longmont potion castle
>>
>>73947657
Yeah desu I'm not sure why I put her in the list, I was listening to her earlier and her music must have just been on my mind
>>
>>73947768
Depends on your definition of Outsider I guess
>>
>>73948943
Well, yeah.

I'd say people who don't receive mainstream accolades and airtime, as a basis. Ivor Cutler had both.
>>
>>73949273
Hmm I dunno, his songs are hardly conventional, his lyrics often border on the surreal,he didn't really have that wide of a mainstream audience (he was played on BBC 4 late at night and on The John Peel show), he played a harmonium (which places him outside of the norm). I do get what you're saying though
>>
Boyd Rice lol
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdLEzVeqkUU
>>
>>73949352
That's true. And I suppose a lot of the folk and blues performers that Harry Smith etc. recorded became "mainstream" in a sense, but I'd still consider it 'outsider' music. So my definition needs some modifying.
>>
>>73949423
He knows more than four chords, not naive enough
>>
Tiny Tim, especially his 90's albums.
>>
>>73949352
these are not hallmarks of outsider music. You want to see some real fuckin outsider shit? check this out pussy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrNX2EsoGF8
>>
>>73949522
Actually Tonetta reaches all the same Criteria as I gave. The only difference is that there's a man dancing in his pants, is that what makes it outsider? That seems like an awfully niche definition
>>
>>73949624
>old degenerate who makes bizarre, low budget videos who is only known because VICE wrote an article about him
>old scottish Reggie Watts who was a regular on BBC, worked with john peel and the beatles
>"outsider"
>>
>>73950279
Thinking that obscurity is what makes something outsider is pretty dumb
>>
in art and "outsider" is anyone who is creating work outside of the established dialogue of a certain field

so say I came to mu and posted a thread that consisted of nothing of charts detailing black on black crime statistics, I would be considered and outside poster

same thing with music. the irony of the outsider artist is that once they are recognized by those who are "in on the conversation", they effectively become part of it. like when kurt kobain reps daniel johnston and the shaggs, or when tim and eric put someone like david leibe hart on their show, those things essentially become part of a greater conversation surrounding popular culture and ultimately influence it in some way.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.