[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes jazz bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: fuck slashmuslash.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fuck slashmuslash.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
I'm still relatively new to listening to jazz and have absolutely no concept of "bad" for this genre. What ruins a jazz record to you guys?
>>
>>73929298

Learn by example. Go to youtube and look up "student jazz band"
>>
The best example is a player having limited vocabulary or emotional in terms of what they do with their playing. Jazz to me is about portrayal of emotion through a variety of musical techniques, having one's own figurative voice using their own style of whatever instrument one plays.

A bad jazz record for me personally would be Kamasi Washington's The Epic. Kamari has a very limited tonal and technical "vocabulary" when it comes to jazz, and you can hear it with the amount of times he repeats the exact same cliche phrases on it. Repetition itself isn't super awful, but when it's the exact same thing being done over and over again on a three hour long album, it just screams amateur. Doesn't help that The Epic also has a more hip hop style mixing of sounds which makes a couple instruments have more clarity than others, completely missing the point of the kind of dynamics play possible in jazz.
>>
>>73929608
I also disliked The Epic but I feel like you're just parroting shit that you read in JTG's review of it
>>
>>73929892
Nah, JTG isn't the only with this viewpoint though. It's been mentioned on various reviews and even /mu/ posts before his review because it's the most obvious criticisms of the album. I also particularly don't like anything even closely resembling brickwalling in production, it's one of things I criticize Kanye for in every other Kanye topic as well even though Kanye's arguably contemporary /mu/'a most loved artist.
>>
>>73929298
Read reviews! But if you're new to jazz then you're probably sticking pretty close to the essentials- so it might be difficult to find negative reviews of these albums since most of them are generally agreed to be very good. Nevertheless, understanding why something is good will get you most of the way toward understanding how it can be bad. Plus you can always find some contrarian reviews on RYM, especially of the really popular jazz albums.

Some people will no doubt tell you that it's a bad idea to read reviews and that you should form your own opinion, but these people miss the point entirely. If it's a good review it should put forth some kind of a solid idea about the music. So when you read it, you have to decide whether you agree or disagree. If you disagree, take a minute and try to get to the bottom of WHY you disagree. That's the important part.

Here are some good sources for reviews:
https://pastebin.com/RXP80z0f
>>
>>73929608
>>73930195
i'll succ u off for tree fiddy, thx u so much
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.