[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this rockist jazz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: R-3420018-1329698741.jpeg.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
R-3420018-1329698741.jpeg.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
Is this rockist jazz?
>>
Being anti-"rockism" is just valuing authenticity over the music itself
>>
any album that has a set track listing is rockist
>>
http://thequietus.com/articles/22389-rockism-poptimism
>>
>>73915644
"Rockist" is a stupid term. It's a very average jazz album and Fukui sounds like a student. It's not hard to imagine that anybody hyping it up to be more than that is probably pretty ignorant of jazz though.
>>
>>73915684
The opposite of that is true you dummy
>>
Is rockism just white supremacy in musical form?
>>
>>73915748
How so? A rockist consumes music however they like, someone who opposes rockism thinks they have to listen to music in a certain way depending on what type of music it is
>>
I still find it funny that every single person using the term "rockist" also happens to be an avid rock music consumer
It's almost as if they were insecure about their taste and wanted to use a certain image to fit in!
>>
>>73915851
its just a word
>>
>>73915870
It's a pejorative sorta, so I think he means to refer to anti-"rockists"

And he's right
>>
>>73915644

It's obvious from the first track, "It Could Happen to You," that Fukui draws a lot of influence from Bill Evans. His style of left hand comping and bouncy swing feel seem directly influenced by Evans, however Fukui often lacks the chromatic, lyrical melodic drive and adroit phrasing that makes Evans' playing such a joy to listen to. Instead, Fukui tends toward short, diatonic phrases, that seldom move outside the natural phrasing of the tune. Denpo and Yoshinori Fukui swing along fairly well, though they also do little to encourage any interesting obfuscation of the form, giving the tune the feeling of a jam session.

Overall the album is very average, with Fukui demonstrating competency in jazz piano, but little in the way of personality or a developed style of his own. In many ways, Fukui sounds like a student, content to imitate Bill Evans or Red Garland, but without adding any new color to give the music character or fully understanding the more subtle aspects of these players' styles . The exception is "Early Summer" where Fukui proves he is at least capable of playing interesting music. It's a shame that the bulk of the album is dedicated to the less interesting and much more derivative approach.
>>
>>73916449
Fuck off jtg
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.