[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Radiohead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: dc-wtc-radiohead.jpg (44KB, 733x490px) Image search: [Google]
dc-wtc-radiohead.jpg
44KB, 733x490px
Why do these guys pretend to know something about sadness when they're all rich, 1st world musicians?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZzX9FQOUns

Transport, motorways and tramlines
Starting and then stopping
Taking off and landing
The emptiest of feelings
Disappointed people, clinging on to bottles
When it comes it's so, so, disappointing

Let down and hanging around
Crushed like a bug in the ground

Shell smashed, juices flowing
Wings twitch, legs are going
Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
One day, I am gonna grow wings
A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless
Hysterical and

Let down
Let down
Let down

You know, you know where you are with
You know where you are with
Floor collapsing, falling
Bouncing back and one day, I am gonna grow wings
A chemical reaction (you know where you are)
Hysterical and useless (you know where you are)
Hysterical and (you know where you are)

>>
>>73908893
Because living in the First World creates a disassociation between other humans
>>
that's how they made their millions
>>
A better question is, can someone please explain to me the appeal of Radiohead? I have tried to listen to them so many times, and I just don't get it. His vocals are irritating. The music is ok, but I can't even focus on that because the whole thing is so bland.

Whats the catch?
>>
Successful and rich doesn't mean happy. If you assume they're equivalent, you don't really understand anything about life.
>>
>>73908893
before ok computer i don't think they were all that rich
>>
>>73909208
Well Creep already made them famous, I assume that they weren't really struggling.
>>
>>73908960
If you think their music has no merit to it, you can get bent.
Now, I'm not professional musician, but their chord progressions are instantly recognisable.
Listen to Paranoid Android, Let Down, Airbag, etc.
Whole of OK Computer (with the exception of Electioneering) is filled with something new, unique and exciting.
Maybe for today's listener it doesn't seem as special or different, but at the time it was phenomenal.
>>
>>73909324
Bends was their first actual major release where they got their own sound.
Pablo Honey was just standard alt-rock of the 90's.
>>
>>73909350
Thats not what I said. My main gripe is mostly with the vocals. They're horrible and monotonous.
>>
>>73909350
>If you think their music has no merit to it, you can get bent.
They're not really doing anything that remarkable, though. It's half decent songwriting that occasionally colors slightly outside the lines.
>>
Sometimes when you have it all you rrally have nothing...
>>
>>73909426
Thom Yhorke has actually said himself that he feels like his vocals make songs more awful than they have to be.
It's just subjective, you can't say "this is a fact of life".
>>73909439
If you can explain to me how they are not doing anything different/new or if they are just doing something that has already been done, then go ahead.
>>
not only am i hysterical but i am also useless
>>
>>73909350
>Whole of OK Computer (with the exception of Electioneering) is filled with something new, unique and exciting.
>I have never listened to prog/art rock in my life
It's mostly pop structures outside Paranoid Android which is more prog-like, with no new sounds or anything either.
>>
>>73909520
>airbag and subterranean homesick alien are pop structures
Have you even listened to the album?
What part of them is pop structures?
The fact that they use for some of their songs chromatic scales?
>>
>>73909501
That's just thom being thom. His vocals suit perfectly some of their songs. Couldn't imagine another voice singing How To Disappear Completely.
>>
>>73909586
I wasn't arguing against his singing capabilities, I was just stating what he has said about this topic.
>>
>>73909501
>If you can explain to me how they are not doing anything different/new or if they are just doing something that has already been done, then go ahead.
They're marginally more experimental than average britpop but I don't think they're innovative in particular. They just borrow occasionally from prog or electronic music or whatever. They put their influences together in a palatable way, but that's about it.
>>
>>73909626
>marginally more experimental britpop
First thing: they can't be categorised with britpop.
Current Arctic Monkeys is britpop. Compare them to Radiohead.
Second: At the time, combining electronic music with the type of alternative rock wasn't something you'd see anywhere.
What you don't seem to be realising is that Radiohead arrived to the mainstream music scene during the late 90's/early 2000's.
At the time, what they were doing was groundbreaking. And their sound is still instantly recognisable, unlike most artists these days.
>>
>>73909501
So its not shitty if hes shitty by his own admission? Come on now
>>
>>73909724
Now you're just creating a strawman.
I said that it's mostly personal opinion. You can't call his voice dull or monotone, that's just a fact.
>>
>>73909809
Its literally monotone though. Every song is the same droning falsetto. Whether or not you enjoy this is another issue entirely.
>>
>>73909834
>literally every song
Yeah, keep strawmaning and creating false facts.
>>
>>73909861
If thats too broad for you, lets do an experiment. Play OK Computer on youtube so its all loaded at once. Click anywhere. Now click somewhere else. Notice how his voice sounds exactly the same on every track. Repeat until you are satisfied that his vocals are boring and monotonous.
>>
>>73909706
>Second: At the time, combining electronic music with the type of alternative rock wasn't something you'd see anywhere.
You've never heard of Madchester?

>What you don't seem to be realising is that Radiohead arrived to the mainstream music scene during the late 90's/early 2000's.
At the time, what they were doing was groundbreaking.
Never heard of Stereolab?
>>
They pander to depressed people because they're greedy evil douchebags who make terrible music, they're a sham
>>
>>73909834
>Every song is the same droning falsetto

Except it's not and you don't know the difference between falsetto and head-voice
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.