[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Album Art and the Listening Experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 3602836742_6f8c876e28.jpg (36KB, 331x356px) Image search: [Google]
3602836742_6f8c876e28.jpg
36KB, 331x356px
Does anyone else consider album art a strangely important component in the music listening experience?
I enjoy music on its own just fine, but having the album art in some form or another heightens my listening experience considerably. No idea why. I just really like having the vinyl cover on display while listening, or seeing the album art on my phone screen while playing.
Is there a scientific explanation for this?
>>
Same actually
Good album art can really change the way you experience an album along with the imagery you see in your head.
>>
File: departure songs.jpg (223KB, 1189x1200px) Image search: [Google]
departure songs.jpg
223KB, 1189x1200px
>>73901805
the album art helps to add context to the music. the best recent example of this imo is pic related. i know sorta what this album will sound just from the cover and a brief description. having the visuals either match of purposely clash with the music adds a lot to the experience because it adds more context to the feeling the album is trying to convey.
>Is there a scientific explanation for this?
lmao
>>
You do that too? I don't sit around daydreaming as a music-listening ritual, but songs very often cause some visual part of my mind to flare up and come up with some weird dream-like shit. Some stuff makes sense, like how I imagine Kanye running down a street in All of the Lights, and then some stuff makes no sense and is much more dreamlike, like how Unsustainable causes me to have a dreamlike montage of doomsday events and post-apocalyptic landscapes that I can never quite picture clearly.
By the by, can you believe that some people don't get chills when listening to music? It's mental.
>>
>>73901805
If it's a really special album, I like to print out the artwork, tear it into little pieces, and eat it bit by bit as I listen. I find it really helps me take in what the artists are trying to express.
>>
>>73901910
meant for >>73901823
>>
>>73901872
shit reddit-tier post rock
>>
>>73901945
>post rock
no such thing
>>
File: 51qKGW3cuzL.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51qKGW3cuzL.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
>>73901805
yes

I unironically choose albums from the sharethreads generally based on album art
it expresses the artistic sensibilities of the artist, as well as the genre
It give me a colour palette, a texture, a world to visualize along with the music

Not saying I actively try to think/visualize it while listening.
I think it's a subconscious thing.
If I didn't take in any of the art, is like talking to a person without ever seeing her face.
Maybe this is what happens to you too, it's nice seeing who you are interacting with. We are visual creatures.

I usually just play music doing other stuff, but when going around the house (eg. cleaning, cooking)
I prefer putting on youtube vids, on fullscreen with the screen turned to the room. Even if the video is just a still image of the album art or artist's face.
That's why i love it when bands do music videos even if it's a very silly loop in the style of the album art. Like a short animated album cover, and nothing more. It's enough for me.

I never keep anything more than the album cover on my computer, but I always go through the rest before deleting it. Taking it all in.

How can you experience GY!BE without interiorizing into their schizo-like paranoic aesthetic? (pic related)

And in this video tell me if the album art doesn't match the idea of the "music collage" perfectly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRZJtSbhVEw

tldr:
yes
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.