[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

David Bowie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: wd.jpg (840KB, 2560x1711px) Image search: [Google]
wd.jpg
840KB, 2560x1711px
Probably not the best singer of his time but one of the greatest performers we have ever seen
>>
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.
>>
>>73892572
where did you cut this from?
do you think his ability to adopt different personalities and media boost helped him a lot

sorry if I sound like a pleb
>>
>>73892610
It's an autist by the name of Scaruffi who is basically a nobody who self-publishes odd rants about musicians on his own website.
>>
File: MEMELORD.jpg (7KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
MEMELORD.jpg
7KB, 209x204px
>>73892572
>>
>>73892726
oh yeah I've heard about him..he dosent like the Beatles does he
>>
>>73892744
He hardly understands the Beatles and what the did or were to anyone relevant, see that one copy pasta rant of his.
>>
>>73893267
yeah I had a hearty laugh at that...idiot dosen't even like GH..

do you have any good articles or books or anything that I could get to learn more about Bowie? thx
>>
Bowie is pretty fascinating. Early Bowie has more chaotic energy to him, but his songs feel pretty loosely crafted and free-flowing. (Most likely because he was writing things as he went along, all drugged up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs

Later Bowie has a deeper tone to him that's more seductive, calmer, and sombre. His songs are much more crafted and planned out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVqOs3Aess

It's almost like two different artists honestly.
>>
>>73893462
thank you
>>
Hitler was the first rock star.
t. David Bowie
>>
>>73893500
no Hitler was the first nerd to get people to follow him into oblivion...oooohhhhh I get it now
>>
File: 1402630866854.gif (2MB, 202x175px) Image search: [Google]
1402630866854.gif
2MB, 202x175px
>>73893562
>>
File: 1488092647158.jpg (185KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1488092647158.jpg
185KB, 1200x630px
>>73893500
>>73893562
>>
>>73893628
he was high on coke when he made that statement

ehh whatever
>>
>>73893562
Epic toast
>>
File: 631381504.jpg (22KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
631381504.jpg
22KB, 612x408px
>>73892726
>who is basically a nobody
>software consultant in China
>written books about the history of rock and popular music
>unintendedly influence and introduce music to people
>while you are in your room browsing 4chin
>>
>>73893683
Not an excuse
>"I was drunk when I killed the girl"
That's how stupid you sound like
>>
>>73893854
point but I haven't done any research whatsoever on his political views...so idk man
>>
>>73893628
This triggers the numale. Bowie was alpha, hence him being redpilled
See >>73893683
>>
>>73893935
did you not read what I said after being called out by >>73893854
>>
>>73893724
>software consultant in China
Irrelevant to his status as a music critic
>written books about the history of rock and popular music
Signifies interest in music, though not necessarily quality of his opinions
>unintendedly influence and introduce music to people
Fair
>while you are in your room browsing 4chin
Not an argument
Overall 1.5/4
>>
>>73894469
again music is very very subjective..for one person bowie may be overrated or even lennon for e.g.

his articles are not to be taken as some sort of gospel but only as another view on a particular album. granted sometimes it seems as if he is writing only to impress himself but they are sometimes a good read
>>
>>73892572
This is "Great pipes" tier
>>
>>73892544
why when I try to save this image does it smuch itself together
>>
File: Bowie1 (1).jpg (3MB, 3500x2262px) Image search: [Google]
Bowie1 (1).jpg
3MB, 3500x2262px
>>73892544
And he will be for quite some time. Absolutely legend.

>>73893355
Start from Hunky Dory and go forward from there. If you can get a copy of it (Physical or PDF), David Bowie Is was a catalog of sorts for his museum exhibit that was pretty good, too.

A documentary I'd suggest is Cracked Actor. It was a BBC piece back in the mid-70's, and while it isn't comprehensive, it shows a very interesting moment in his career and it's a good-ish introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR-GGWpcr00
(Not the best copy but first I found, maybe look around, if you're a Brit I bet it's on the BBC site)

I'd also recommend Sound + Vision, it's pretty comprehensive if a little kitschy. I'd listen for the music and get a feel for it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlmuuQBM4Gs

One last documentary is Five Years more recently, honestly haven't watched it yet but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

He was in a couple movies, maybe watch some of those. Of particular note is The Man Who Fell to Earth, which is a really slow sci-fi piece but beautifully done.

Again, though, let the music stand for itself. It brought in tons of people, and when I started listening to him I was shocked how many of his songs I already knew and loved. Enjoy it, man.
>>
>>73892544
While maybe not my personal favorites.

Diamond Dogs is his best album and if you don't count the Station to Station meme "We are the Dead" is his best song "Living on the breath of a hope to be shhhhhheeaared." Invigorating and orgasmic.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.