[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leonard Cohen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: LeonardCohen.jpg (9KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
LeonardCohen.jpg
9KB, 256x256px
He was a bad singer, he didn't know how to play a guitar (except his signature triplets), his poems and novels weren't special, but why is he so great? His music and songwriting really are special, and no one else comes close to him other than Townes Van Zandt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DsHKw2dGqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqzIArdRYE
>>
I want to fucking choke you to death, anon. Everything you said is so unbelievably incorrect.
>>
>>73846275
I don't know if you're doing a meme, but if you're not, go back to school you fucking imbecile
>>
You shut your whore mouth. This has to be bait but I'll take it. Leonard Cohen is an amazing lyricist and writer in general. His sotrytelling is great in itself but what he truly excels at is creating atmosphere, both in prose and music
>>
>>73846275
He was mostly self-taught when it came to music, and apparently never added any formal learning for it during his life, so it retained that kind of awkward, nascent feel.
>>
>>73846462
not awkward at all
>>
>>73846473
OK, good talk.
>>
File: B44O1iJCIAEC-wU.jpg (38KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
B44O1iJCIAEC-wU.jpg
38KB, 600x583px
>>73846496
Y-you too
>>
OP here. Thank you. Finally a thread about Leonard Cohen. I tried to do this many times, but those threads just died.
Anyway, what is his best song? My favourites are The Partisan, Dance me, The Future, and Teachers.
Also, are there any other unknown songs like those two I posted?
>>
LEONARD COHEN BTFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ
>>
>>73846563
>tfw I cri everitime to Famous Blue Raincot
>>
filthy kike
>>
>>73846574
I like all three of the main Hallelujah versions (Cohen, Cale, Buckley), but it frustrates me a little bit that the humor was lost on Cale and Buckley.
>>
>>73846563
Famous blue Raincoat is pretty unstoppable. I never got into Cohen post Songs of Love and Hate. What should I try?
>>
>>73846617
I'm your man is a pretty amazing album imo, in my top three along with songs of love and hate and songs of leonard cohen, his last album was surprisingly good as well
>>
>>73846413
>>73846375
>>73846354
Re-read what he said.

The idea that Cohen was an incredibly gifted songwriter despite his relative lack of musical prowess and mostly mediocre unaccompanied verse is valid enough.

The only thing I might disagree with is that he was a "bad singer". Sure he was a technically limited singer, but I tend to base how "good" a singer is on how fitting their vocal delivery is for the music they're producing, so in that sense Cohen is an incredible singer.
>>
>>73846563
Listen to/read "The Captain."

>>73846617
You can't really go wrong with anything other than Ten New Songs, which he did half-and-half with Sharon Robinson and I think is really flat. Beware that after Recent Songs his voice deepened, which I like, but it made him start writing different sorts of songs.
>>
>>73846606
What humor?

Legitimate question btw, I've just never picked up on that/.
>>
>>73846354

This. Just delete the thread, its embarrassing, even for /mu/ standards.
>>
>>73846739
First verse is the only overt joke, but I find that the others have a tone of insouciance or humorous resignation. It's subtle, but you can hear it in the tossed-off way the chorus is sung, I think. A lot of the songs on Various Positions are like this, so my perception might be a bit tampered with.

Now, with that said, I'm not against there being different kinds of Hallelujahs, but the fact that everyone after Buckley has done it the exact same way (as far as I've heard) is lame to me.
>>
>>73846832
>First verse is the only overt joke,
I have no clue how I'm just now realizing that.

"This song pleased fucking God, but that doesn't impress you, huh?"

Also now just realizing how great "your faith was strong but you needed proof" is. I love Cohen but I guess I never really paid attention to these lyrics due to how overdone they are. Like I'm just now realizing this is of course just another Leonard Cohen song with his same wit and perspective.
>>
>>73846563
Fugg. This just shows how /mu/ works today.
>>
>>73847021
Among major artists to perform it, I think only Bob Dylan picked up on this. When he performed it, it had more of that loose feel—it fits Bob quite well aside from the meter.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/17/leonard-cohen-makes-it-darker

There's a part here where Dylan talks about it and other aspects of Cohen's music, probably some of the most insightful things anyone's said about the guy's music.
>>
File: dylan and cohen fanfic.png (46KB, 1013x321px) Image search: [Google]
dylan and cohen fanfic.png
46KB, 1013x321px
What's you guys' interpretation of this?
>>
>>73847287
That Dylan is a douchebag.
>>
>>73847287
I mean, it's kind of right. So much of why Dylan is praised is not necessarily because he was the "best" songwriter, ht just be because he was the first to show that songwriting could be this way.
>>
>>73846275
Lol. Could you do better than him?
>>
>>73846606
Still, Buckley's is the best one by far
>>
>>73847834
>Implying that's even an argument.
>>
>>73847834
back to r3dd1t
>>
Why do you listen to Jewish music?
>>
>>73848362
cause it's good
>>
>>73848362
cause it's good
>>
>>73846563
I've always been fond of Suzanne. I know it's pretty cliche, but it's a fantastic opening for Songs of Leonard Cohen, so tender and gentle. It's like being wrapped up in a warm blanket with your loved ones
>>
>>73847854
Please no. It's okay but he just turned it into a pop song. I actually heard someone on NPR describe the Cohen version as too cold or austere or something. Made me want to vomit
>>
>>73847287
I know they spoke on numerous occasions. It shows the difference between Dylan, an artist who's work seemingly came naturally to him, and Cohen, an artist who seemed to constantly struggle with whether or not his music was as good as he wanted it to be. Something like Dylan had written a very well known song over the course of a day or two while Cohen had worked on Hallelujah for almost 5 years
>>
>>73846617
New Skin for the Old Ceremony is a great album, desu. My personal fav, and I think A Singer Must Die is one of his best songs
>>
I played Leonard Cohen at work on aux after he died. Can't say I remember the specific one, but it was one of the main four music fans fawn over. I work at a gas station so people come in and out every other few minutes, it was the afternoon. Nobody recognized him and one dude told me "it sounds likes he's dying".
>>
>>73846275
>Be a literal rabbi
>Get undue amount of credit and recognition.
>>
>>73849599
Kinda off topic but it makes me wonder about Townes Van Zandt's writing style. I imagine his better known songs (Pancho and Lefty, Lungs, etc) were written more of the Cohen way, even though I doubt it took quite as long for most. There's that well-known story about him waking up with If I Needed You written in his sleep but the two biographies I read say that's bullshit.
>>
>>73850079
KY-JELLY!
>>
>>73850079
>A Singer Must Die is one of his best songs

>dat line about how 'the ladies go moist & the judge has no choice'
>>
>>73846275
Nothing he did was above mediocrity
>>
>>73851341
E N L I G H T E N E D
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.