[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, was grunge influential or was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 18

File: kurt.jpg (23KB, 462x327px) Image search: [Google]
kurt.jpg
23KB, 462x327px
Now that the dust has settled, was grunge influential or was it just a stupid fad?
>>
>>73839028
It was an influential fad.
>>
It was influential if you're IQ is below 110 (So you, and most of America by now)
>>
>>73839028
Dumb as bum
>>
rock music is dying :>

however, its more than just a dumb fad i guess
>>
>>73839028
>was this thing that created a whole genre that is still being played to this day, influential?
>>
unfortunately all music is influential
>>
>>73839103
Unfortunately my fat cock is out
>>
it was an interesting blend of american rock styles, somewhat too solemn but also down to earth, compared to the 70s and 80s
>>
>>73839051
Let me guess the Internet says you have an iq of 140?
>>
>>73839051
>you are IQ
>>
>>73839028
Anything that becomes sucessful is influential.
That's how capitalism works.
>>
File: kurt-cobain-biggie-smalls.jpg (48KB, 675x418px) Image search: [Google]
kurt-cobain-biggie-smalls.jpg
48KB, 675x418px
>cause a movement
>literally btfo hair/fag rock that was dominating radio
>brought rock back down to earth
>tons of bands were influenced by grunge rock bands
You tell me, op.
>>
>>73839028
it sucked, only good grunge band was Pearl Jam and that's only because they were only "grunge" in spirit.

Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Creed, the lot of em, all fucking suck.

Also while I'm at it, best major 90's alt rock band is pic related
>>
>>73839078
Who the fuck plays grunge anymore?
>>
>>73839234
/thread
>>
>>73839237
t. 14 year old that just watched his first Kurt Cobain documentary
>>
>>73839137
Can I see it? ;)
>>
>>73839247
Smashing Pumpkins fucking blow,
Entry level pseudo alternative trite shite. Only became popular due to middle American teenagers. Clear symptoms of the death of rock when this band is praised. Saying is better than fucking Pearl Jam isn't saying much. Many better bands from the 90s
>>
>>73839028
i'm influenced by nirvana
>>
>>73839028
grunge isnt real
>>
File: funny_glam_rock_bands_11.jpg (68KB, 550x544px) Image search: [Google]
funny_glam_rock_bands_11.jpg
68KB, 550x544px
>>73839253
The affects of Grunge is still seen today. First, no more shitty power ballads or rock songs about getting laid and doing drugs, instead music is more done in an emotional level, like it always was until the 80s. Also, no one dressing up as faggots. These by itself prove that Grunge made a huge impact on rock.
>>
File: 50719011.jpg (42KB, 392x594px) Image search: [Google]
50719011.jpg
42KB, 392x594px
>>73839348
this.
>>
>>73839336
of course there were better 90's bands. I'm talking about major bands that got and still get radio play. Name a major 90's band that you think is better so I can tell whether you're a complete retard or just a partial one.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (11KB, 310x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
11KB, 310x200px
>>73839272
t. 12 year old who unironically listens to kanye and can't give a counter to what anon said on a mongolian throat singing forum
>>
>>73839392
sure
>>
>>73839348
>>73839392
>>73839458
https://soundcloud.com/hotelguthrie
>>
>>73839404
>Name a major 90's band that you think is better so I can tell whether you're a complete retard or just a partial one.
>If I don't like your song that means you're a retard
Holy shit go Cobain you're self, my man.
>>
>>73839028
It was a fad that was influential in rock music.

>>73839352
Not the person you responded to but >>73839253 has a point. Unless you can list a band that formed in this decade that actually plays grunge music, that shit is pretty much a fad.
>>
>>73839028
it drove out dancy pop tunes for a short while, but it couldnt sustain itself and nothing really was influenced by it significantly. you dont really hear much grunge in anything today. id say it was a fad.
>>
>>73839487
Holy shit he literally can't name one lmao
>>
>>73839404
Pavement is better than Smashing Pumpkins
Unwound are better than Smashing Pumpkins
My Bloody Valentine are better than Smashing Pumpkins
Slint are better than Smashing Pumpkins
Nine Inch Nails are better than Smashing Pumpkins
>>
>>73839488
That would be difficult since the genre is dead, just like most, if not all rock genres today. Is there any one today that still plays glam rock? Dad rock? Rock and Roll anymore?
>>
i'm waiting for that faggot to name a better mainstream 90s alt rock band that still gets radio play today than smashing pumpkins
>>
>>73839352
You're that same retard from yesterday obsessed with "faggot" hair bands

>First, no more shitty power ballads
That is completely inaccurate. Adele's entire career is based on power ballads
Remember Lips of an Angel? I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing? Iris? Always (Bon Jovi)? November Rain?
There are all power ballads that were more successful than any grunge song, AFTER grunge had already hit the mainstream
>songs about getting laid and doing drugs
Hip Hop's got that covered
>music is more done in an emotional level
If you actually think this applies to mainstream music in the pat 25 year then you are retarded
Not to mention you completely ignore underground music of the 80's, like music doesn't mater unless it's on the radio.
>no one dressing up as faggots
Nirvana dressed as faggots as I told you in the thread yesterday "b-b-but they were just pretending to be f-faggots"

Hair Metal was already dying before grunge hit, as shown by your incessant posting of Motley Crue pictures from the mid 80's.
Hair Metal was dying ever since Guns N Roses got big, The amount of hair bands on MTV were on decline in the late 80's.
The only ones that stuck around were Poison, Crue, and Bon Jovi, Bon Jovi continued having hit songs well into the 2000's.
What Hair metal came out in 1990? Warrant had a hit, but they were always going to be a one hit wonder, Skid Row did ok, but really that shit was already in it's dying breath.
Hip Hop was growing, RnB, Boybands, Pop as usual was huge, Alternative rock was growing in popularity with REM, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More all having hits before grunge.
All fads die out, Hair metal died a natural death, just like grunge, people get bored and move onto other things.
You would know this if you weren't a Kurt Cobain worshiping 14 year old
>>
>>73839573
NIN is the only one of those bands that got radio play

also

>My Bloody Valentine

come on are you even trying or are you just naming /mu/core
>>
It was influential but in the bad way in that it was completely co-opted by the mainstream and created watered down post-grunge. The original scene dried up and died due to exploitation. It did end the era of cock rock and glam metal, which you don't see around too much. It brought the alternative scene to the forefront, which is still scene to this day in the popularity of indie artists. Ultimately it was the last great hurrah for mainstream aggressive rock.
>>
Mudhoney, Melvins and some Soundgarden and Nirvana were ok
>>
>>73839452
They were all very vague and typical talking points that keep being repeated in Cobain documentaries. It's mostly a marketing ploy.
>>
All these SoundCloud rappers claim to have been inspired by NIrvana so there's that I guess
>>
>>73839028
fad
>>
>>73839573
none of those bands besides NIN got play that's the whole point of why the guy didn't just say SP are the best 90s alt band ever. the best mainstream one e.g. nirvana pearl jam stone temple pilots etc. all those bands you listed were indie as shit tykefag guess you weren't around.
>>
>>73839613
No, these are all bands genuinely better than the Farting Blumpkins
>>
>>73839598
Radiohead.
>>
>>73839598
see
>>73839573
>>73839712
>>
>>73839712
This.
>>
>>73839605
Don't know who you're refering to, but you're wrong. Hip hop and adel might be doing that shit, but not in rock. For example, name one relevant rock band after Grunge who did power ballads and songs about getting laid? Go on, I'll wait.
>Not to mention you completely ignore underground music of the 80's, like music doesn't mater unless it's on the radio.
We're talking about influence; underground doesn't influence shit if it's not on radio. That's a fact.
>Nirvana dressed as faggots as I told you in the thread yesterday "b-b-but they were just pretending to be f-faggots"
Again, I don't know who the fuck said that, but if you're talking about the concert where they cross dressed than that their way of being anti-establishment punk and shit. Kurt was a huge libtard, everyone knows that.
>>
>>73839712
correct.
>>
>>73839712
My Bloody Valentine released one album even worth listening to with one actually good song. Again though, none of those bands got radio play aside from NIN, and NIN is not better than the Pumpkins, sorry
>>
File: II.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
II.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
Meat Puppets II was a really good album
>>
>>73839712
lifeless music for lifeless people
>>
Influencial. Only retards think genres don't influence shit, especially if it went as big as Grunge.
>>73839636
Well, seeing as you can't dispute that than I guess that anon is true.
>>
>>73839762
NIN is better than the Farting Blumpkins, and every song off Loveless is better than every Blumpkins song
>>
>>73839726

none of those bands besides radiohead + NIN got airplay at all. they were indie the way animal collective is indie and does not get played on mainstream radio today. pre-internet so only a handful of alt rock bands were known by many.

radiohead i guess is technically valid but they are not a straight up 90s alt rock band in the way these other bands were. should have restricted to early 90s. clearly radiohead crush smashing pumpkins no argument there.

i think early pumpkins is better than NIN personally. and also prefer it to bends-era and earlier radiohead but nothing after.
>>
>>73839051
> Doesn't understand the bell curve for IQ
>>
>>73839731
>name one relevant rock band after Grunge who did power ballads and songs about getting laid? Go on, I'll wait.
Creed
Nickelback
Limp Bizcut
Aerosmith
the list literally goes on
>We're talking about influence; underground doesn't influence shit if it's not on radio. That's a fact.
*Cough* The Velvet Underground *Cough"
>I don't know who the fuck said that
Dude stop fucking lying you speak in the exact same way, say the exaxct same thing and post the exact same shit
>cross dressed than that their way of being anti-establishment punk and shit
TOP FUCKING KEK
So if Nirvana dresses as women they're "anti establishment" but if Motley Crue do it they're "faggots"
Good job m8.
And how is it anti establishment? Rockers have been dressing like women since the 50's
>>
>>73839801
How can I dispute something as vague and hollow as "brought music down to earth"?
>>
>>73839809
Have you ever actually listened to a Smashing Pumpkins album?

And Loveless is essentially Filler: the Album. They wrote Only Shallow, then realized they actually had no clue how to write anything else, so the rest of it is a fucking bore and all sounds the same.
>>
>>73839842
>Creed
>Nickelback
>Limp Bizcut
>Aerosmith
Their whole platform wasn't built on power ballads you fucking idiot. Also,
>relevant at that time

>Dude stop fucking lying
Now why would I lie?
>So if Nirvana dresses as women they're "anti establishment" but if Motley Crue do it they're "faggots"
Because back than Motley Crue intentionally grew their hair big and dressed by fudge packers because they thought it looked cool and sexy. While Nirvana did it a few times because they wanted to shock parents and get attention. AKA punk
You literally can't argue about this.
>>
File: madcap.jpg (109KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
madcap.jpg
109KB, 500x500px
>>73839929
I will shill for MPII and Madcap Laughs until the day I die.
>>
File: 3.jpg (242KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
242KB, 800x800px
>>73839237
I don't remember anyone classifying Pixies as 'grunge'.
>>
>>73839731
I'm a part of what some people call the "alt-right" and it feels punk as fuck. It feels like an actual counter culture, or rebellion against the PC culture that dominates American colleges.
>>
>>73840037
You do know that this is a stale copypaste.
>>
>>73839731
>For example, name one relevant rock band after Grunge who did power ballads and songs about getting laid?
Blink 182?
>>
>>73839028
Grunge was just the music industry trying to squeeze everything they could from Kurt Cobains legacy.
Nirvana was influential the rest of the bands were just shitty and nobody outside of the period where the music was made will unironically listen or make music like it
(Other than Nirvana) but they're more punk
>>
>>73839613
there would be no siamese dream without loveless. Also you fucks need to stop shitting on smashing pumpkins. Yes most of their discography is cringe. Siamese dream is still a great album.
>>
>>73839924
>Their whole platform wasn't built on power ballads you fucking idiot.
Neither were hair metal bands you goal post shifting retard. You asked for rock bands that made power ballads and/or sang about sex and you got it. You lose
>>relevant at that time
HURR I DON'T LIKE THEM SO THEY'RE NOT RELEVANT
They literally all had higher charting singles than Nirvana ever did. Face it, you're wrong.
>Now why would I lie?
because you're a psycho lmao
>Because back than Motley Crue intentionally grew their hair big and dressed by fudge packers because they thought it looked cool and sexy. While Nirvana did it a few times because they wanted to shock parents and get attention.
Motley Crue literally did it to shock parents and to get attention. They were branded satanists and were a big reason for the PMRC.
You give a lot of hate to bands you don't know anything about.
>shock parents
>punk
lmao, that's shock rock though. I don't see giving a shit about parents as being very punk but ok.
There isn't anything shocking about a rock star wearing a flowery dress in 1992 considering the nutty shit rockstars had been doing 20 years prior.
Kurt also said he wished he was gay. That doesn't seem to sit well with your haterd of "faggots" now does it? Or was he just being "punk rock"? While Crue were banging ever big tittied bimbo in hte world, but they were the "faggots", of course.
>>
>>73839762
>>73839913
cringe artists
my bloody valentine's discography is essential and godly. Isn't anything is amazing. You made me realise is the greatest ep of all time. They managed to influence trash artist bands that generated buzz
>>
>>73840077
very based opinion here

Nirvana stands far above the rest

Soundgarden and AIC can be bretty good

PJ sucks dick though
>>
Nirvana didn't kill off party rock as bands like Sugar Ray proved. What they did kill off permanently was that stupid 70s-80s wigs-and-leather stadium metal sound. You'd struggle to find any band that came out after the 80s who looked and played like that. Bands after 1990, regardless of the songwriting, almost all wore their street clothes and played basic chords instead of le ebic shredder solos.
>>
>>73840091
Just because it;s influential doesn't mean it's good. Loveless is at best a very uneven album with a unique sound.
>>
THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE
>>
File: o-SONIC-YOUTH-facebook.jpg (310KB, 1536x885px) Image search: [Google]
o-SONIC-YOUTH-facebook.jpg
310KB, 1536x885px
>>73840133
>What they did kill off permanently was that stupid 70s-80s wigs-and-leather stadium metal sound.

TBCH that was already out of date in the 80s, but MTV kept it alive artificially. If you looked at the alternative scene, they didn't dress like that. It was just costumery for MTV.

See here. I don't see any spandex or wigs, do you?
>>
>>73840151
you need to either get your ears checked or listen to loveless on a good stereo system full blast.
Then you will realize how godly it is.
>>
>>73839833
what does he not understand about it? It would seem that you are the one who doesn't understand using normal distributions to describe a population.
>>
>>73839924
>Their whole platform wasn't built on power ballads.
Since when did Crue only do power ballads? Looks That Kill, Shout at the Devil, and Kickstart My Heart are all pretty heavy by hair metal standards.
>>
>>73840133
I really don't fucking understand this obsession with shredding and solos and shit.

Like, if you're talking about some Guns n Roses shit, I get it. But not all songs with solos are like GnR. Would you want to listen to Tornado of Souls or The Four Horsemen without the solos? If done correctly solos are great improvement to the songs.
>>
>>73840256
The early MC albums were mostly heavy rock but starting with Theater of Pain they became increasingly ballad-heavy.
>>
>>73840256
He's just a Cobain worshiping kid, with no understanding of anything outside of what Nirvana documentaries have told him
>>
>>73840268
Not really, they had like 1-2 ballads on each album at most.
>>
>>73840259
The Big Four thrash bands were still 80s groups of course. During the 90s, nu metal took over which dispensed with solos completely.
>>
>>73840240
I've listened to the album multiple times in multiple different ways. It's got a cool sound but it gets stale ridiculously quick (due to it all sounding the same) and just doesn't warrant the acclaim. It's good for background noise I guess but the opening track is the only one worth listening to
>>
>>73839028
Well you must remember that there are not just black and white in music :^) It can be somewhere between being influential and a stupid fad
>>
>>73840133
That's why Gene Simmons is butthurt about Nirvana, they made his kind of music obsolete.
>>
>>73840289
Fucking nu metal. Even punk had solos. That whole genre has nothing to salvage from.
>>
>>73840358
>Even punk had solos
Some punk, for example the Replacements, had solos but a whole lot of them just played chords.
>>
>>73840018
They've always been classified as proto-grunge.
But you're right, Pixies ought to be credited, not Nirvana.
Pixies are to Crass
as Nirvana are to the pistols
(Not in a political way whatsoever)
>>
>>73840133
The industry jumped on alternative rock and hip-hop because everyone was tired of dadrock/AOR metal by 1989, it was almost 20 years old at that point and played out.
>>
Party rock got temporarily shelved in the early 90s because there was an economic recession and nobody wanted to see some faggot with a guitar bragging about how rich he is and how many strippers he has sex with.

By the late 90s when the Dot Com Bubble was going on, then good time fun bands like Blink 182 took over.
>>
The Seattle grunge scene was overblown, but Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Mudhoney were all great bands, as were Hazel, Paw, Babes in Toyland, Seaweed, and Love Battery. It had an impact on everything from stoner rock and sludge metal to post-hardcore and noise pop.
>>
>>73840133
I could argue that Metallica started it actually since they just wore jeans and T-shirts onstage.
>>
>>73840358
>solos are important
Why?
Solos are generally boring.
Most nu metal is cringey due to it's adolescent attitude, but I appreciated their use of the guitar as an instrument rather than just a wank tool that needed to be used faster and more technical than everyone else
They made sounds (particularly Korn) that you wouldn't necessarily associate with the guitar before that.
Much better than continuing the tired speed trend of 80's thrash
>>
>>73840515
Yes well, the Big Four were considered alternative and semi-underground in the 80s, by the end of the decade as the alternative push was building steam, they started breaking out to the mainstream.
>>
>>73840415
>proto-grunge
But they didn't start before grunge did.
They may have been Proto-Nevermind Nirvana, but not Proto Grunge, Grunge had been around since '84 at least.
>>
>>73840564
Yeah, Korn made some pretty interesting and unique sounds with their guitars. Not the later crappy bands from 2000+ who had no actual skill with their instruments. It was definitely a welcome change from that tired dadrock/blues rock metal sound.
>>
>>73839913
>Loveless is essentially Filler: the Album
You spelled Mellon Collie wrong

Shit taste friend, pathetically shit taste
>>
>>73840127
Soundgarden and aic suck and have like two good songs each
Both trying to rip off Eddy Vedder
Fucking cringy as fuck
>>
>>73840614
How the fuck did they rip off Pearl Jam when both bands had albums out before them?
>>
>>73840415
Weak comparison. Pixies influenced Smells Like Teen Spirit, but that's about it for grunge. They were classed as noise pop.

Crass came after the Pistols, they hated the Pistols, and they offered a vision for how punk could be more authentic.

Pixies were no more authentic than Nirvana, and they were trying desperately to break through with albums like Trompe Le Monde. They also liked Nirvana a lot, as a band and as people.
>>
>>73839028
mostly a stupid fad

the attitude really was influential tho

musically its' too basic

culturally it's just dumb enough
>>
AIC and Pearl Jam still played like the 70s though, they had long blues rock wankery solos.
>>
>>73840672
IDK about Alice in Chains but Pearl Jam were just noveau dadrock, Eddie Vedder was always citing The Who and Neil Young as his heroes, they even toured with the latter and covered his songs.
>>
>>73840672
They all did. Grunge was just a product of growing up in the 70's. It was an amalgamation of 70's rock music.
Some leaned more towards punk than metal, and other leaned more towards metal than punk, but it's the same 70's rock worship essentially.
>>
>>73840721
Nirvana covered Neil Young in his suicide note lmao.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Turn On the Bright Lights [Matador, 2002]

They bitch because everybody compares them to Joy Division, and they're right. It's way too kind, and I say that as someone who thanks Ian Curtis for making New Order possible. Joy Division struggled against depression rather than flaunting it, much less wearing it like a designer suit. What's truly depressing is that, just as the hairy behemoths of the grunge generation looked back to the AOR metal they immersed in as teens, these fops tweak the nostalgia of young adults who cherish indistinct memories of much worse bands than Joy Division, every one of them English--Bauhaus, Ultravox, Visage, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears. At a critical moment in consciousness they exemplify and counsel disengagement, self-seeking, a luxurious cynicism. Says certified British subject Peter Banks: "Emotions are standard and boring. I'd like to find another way to live." That's thinking either big or very small. C+
>>
>>73840726
I disagree. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Screaming Trees were certainly about 70s worship, but Nirvana is pretty clearly a product of the 80s hardcore/alternative/indie underground. Their sound is all about bands like the Wipers, Beat Happening, Flipper, Melvins, Pixies, Black Flag, The Replacements, and so on. IMO there are even traces of Rites of Spring in their sound. The punk end of grunge seems like a natural development of the 80s underground.
>>
>>73840763
I agree with Christgau that Interpol is mediocre, but Bauhaus, Tears for Fears, and early Ultravox are great
>>
It was objectively influential, but post-grunge is the lowpoint of rock music and arguably the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>73840791
I just posted the review because he makes the observation that grunge bands were primarily influenced by AOR.
>>
>>73840726
Those guys as well as RHCP and Pantera all were born in the 60s, they were mainly influenced by AOR like AC/DC, Kiss, and Van Halen. Guys like Manson and Korn were younger, they were born in the 70s and their approach was a little more modern and not as dadrock.
>>
>>73840803
Right, because rock just stopped after post-grunge. Never mind about Britpop, the Garage Rock Revival, Screamo, Beatdown Hardcore, Black Metal, Neocrust, Twee Pop, etc. Nope, none of that ever happened, because post-grunge killed rock. Right.
>>
>>73840822
Manson only ever sites dadrock as an influence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ftMwxCGLA
0:34
>>
>>73840859
Even so, his music doesn't sound anything like the 70s unlike Pearl Jam who could have been time travelers from 1973.
>>
>>73839253
post-grunge is still absolutely massive even if you don't like it
>>
>>73840771
All those band were into the same underground scenes Nirvana was more or less, they were all a part of one and influenced each other. Nirvana has dad rock influences as well.
>>
>>73840877
Is this 2003?
>>
>>73840829
You think that makes you sound well traveled but you're clearly a summerfag if you don't understand the context of a statement like that and would rather say things everyone else knows.
>>
Didn't Cobain try to cover up the fact that the first rock concert he ever went to was Van Halen or something?
>>
>>73840909
Wow, you're amazingly, hilariously asspained. You don't know what well-traveled means. The amount I've traveled is irrelevant to this topic (though I have traveled a bit). My point is just that your statement about post-grunge being the "last nail in the coffin" is an idiotic idea that's been repeated way too much. Post-grunge was awful, but rock was still a dominant genre well into the 00s, especially with mainstream genres like the garage rock revival (The White Stripes, etc.)
The whole idea of summerfags is retarded, but I've been here since '09. If you get this upset about a minor disagreement then life is gonna be tough, so I recommend suicide. Just end it now, little buddy.
>>
>>73839605
It was, but even if you look at Motley Crue, Poison, etc by 1989-90 they were dressing in more subtle clothing and playing more blues rock kinds of songs.
>>
>>73840969
t. summerfag
>>
glam is superior in every single way
>>
>>73840667
Fuck that noise, the guys in soundgarden were great musicians. Especially that drummer.
>>
>>73841032
It wasn't in 1990. There was a recession going on, nobody wanted to see some asshole in a wig brag about how rich he was on MTV.
>>
>>73840990
Here Bud, since you're so interested in international travel, I made a map of places I've been ;)
>>
>>73841093
So why did they want that during the 2008 recession?
>>
>>73841032
Why's the least attractive one so often the most naked?
>>
File: vixen6.jpg (51KB, 337x439px) Image search: [Google]
vixen6.jpg
51KB, 337x439px
>>73841093
>brag how rich he was
name one song where this happens
>>
>>73841142
Compensating for losing attention to the more attractive ones.
>>
>>73841032
>tfw those women are old and ugly now
>>
>>73841146

are they worth checking out ?
>>
>>73841205
No.
>>
File: 5863156_orig.jpg (35KB, 445x299px) Image search: [Google]
5863156_orig.jpg
35KB, 445x299px
>>73841205
yea why not, they have cathy songs. Musically they are not the best, still enjoyable
>>73841199
atleast 1 must have aged well. The floof is eternal
>>
>>73839237
fake
>>
File: tearsforfears_1_1472054379.jpg (36KB, 673x348px) Image search: [Google]
tearsforfears_1_1472054379.jpg
36KB, 673x348px
>>73840763
>Joy Division struggled against depression rather than flaunting it

By his own reasoning, then he should respect Tears for Fears more.
Tears for Fears, especially in their earliest albums, were all about facing, understanding pain and processing it, they weren't a celebration of pain and depression, at all.
>>
>>73839237
I don't like too many hair guys but they were better than grunge imo
>>
>>73839028
influential, but for no good musical reason, IMO.
all rock music made after James Brown and funk music generally that didn't make use of these rhythmic innovations strayed too far from the exciting dance music rock always had been, and cost it in the long run. I still think that's why hip hop is more popular today: at least it has a groove you can move too, which is in some sense baked into the genre, due to its lineage stemming from rapping over disco beats and sampling funkbeats. (Run DMC's "King of Rock" move and "Walk This Way" with Aerosmith singer on it was calculated, and never represented a serious challenge to rap's disco/funk-backbone)
I think the late-Sixties heyday of rock music was a distraction from what ultimately proved to be a more significant musical innovation: funk, which revolutionized dance music and is the great-grandfather of basically all the major dance music styles I see today. I think grunge was in some sense no different - rap was vital in the 90s, but the profusion of rock during that time gave me an "out" for not having to hear it at all ever. I still don't regret missing that rap craze - I love the same funk and soul records those rappers and their parents heard, so it's all good.
>>
>>73841479
He didn't like TFF because they were prog rock.
>>
>>73840418
Yes. An important consequence of grunge was that record labels and radio stations gave the boot to everyone who predated the 80s with the exception of Aerosmith and 1-2 others. Dadrock bands couldn't get on MTV and they couldn't get on the radio anymore.
>>
>>73841516
So you don't like rock music that doesn't approach being popular and dance-like, in the lieu of disco and hip hop?

What do you think of the more post-punk and industrial bands like Big Black and Gang of Four that approach a sound closer to "dance music" (usually fast, further away from headbanging dirge of heavy rock). Does it have enough of a funk influence for you, or does it need to be slower or more syncopated to satisfy that?
>>
dumb fad. it was just rocks last dying grasp for relevance.
>>
>>73841874
>So you don't like rock music that doesn't approach being popular and dance-like, in the lieu of disco and hip hop?

His post sounds like something Christgau would write.
>>
Grunge music has not aged well at all.
>>
>>73839028
it was a revitalization of a dying rock genre. it was surely influential to later stuff but I think it was also a fad but then so was hair metal, glam, etc.
>>
>>73840037
been doing this thing since I was a child, it was this revolutionary thing my parents put me on back in then 90s. It's this whole concept of just, y'know, being a good person.

PC culture is retarded. Culture breathes through humour and being able to laugh at itself.

But people like you are even worse. What do you even have to rebel against bro? Go fucking hang out with some ugly brown dude who mildly creeps you out. Ask him light up the hookah, play some hindi songs. These are good people you racist fucking asshole. People that love to laugh and play music and party.

I don't know what desolate state you in live in there in 'murica, but wherever it is, get the fuck out. Go travel. See some shit. Please.
>>
>>73842020
>racist asshole
>'merica
please leave with him
>>
>>73841916
Nevermind and Ten already sounded dated by 1995.
>>
>>73841874
I've listened to enough popular music to know I prefer dance in it - that goes for rock as much as anything. Cuban music became a big part of my musical world as a consequence. rock doesn't have to be danceable for me to like it, but it really helps its case.
I think the post-punk style was a great example of mostly British groups discovering en masse how underutilized the bass guitar had been.: "maybe we'd better utilize it to produce a rhythm people will want to dance to instead of just reinforcing the underlying 4/4 rhythm."
so I'm not lying when I say that the entire tide of post-punk bands constitutes the most musically interesting wave of rock music since the gates opened in the '50s. for me, I'd rank Minutemen with James Brown as among the greatest groups ever - in terms of the rhythmic interest they generated, as well as the sheer intensity they brought to the music.
Gang of Four definitely bring enough to their music for me to find it interesting, though I consider the worldview contained in their lyrics so darkly pessimistic that I don't listen to them as often as their achievement deserves.
Songs About Fucking is another record I've liked. Albini even recorded a version of "The Big Payback" with Big Black - showing the dividends that pay when you you're unafraid take your influences from the most vital sources.
>>73841887
I take that as a compliment - his reviews influenced my in a lot of ways
>>
>>73839028
Fad. Grunge is almost as bad as post-grunge.
>>
>>73841522
>Tears for Fears
>Prog rock
What am I even reading?
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.