[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this album become overrated because of the meme exposure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 2

File: unknow-pleasures.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
unknow-pleasures.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
Did this album become overrated because of the meme exposure of the cover art?

or is it actually good?
>>
perhaps you should listen to it and think for yourself!!!
>>
i like it, but is just the sex pistols album of the post-punk, i mean post-punk have better bands
>>
It's great but closer is better
>>
File: 1447863015709.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1447863015709.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>73808914
that album invented modern rock music.

>he thinks it's a meme
>>
>>73808950
can we stop calling post-punk post-punk?
its just a darker, more melodic punk tbqh
>>
wot is this album LOOOL haha i wo she t shirt but haven listen

it a real album then? what name if you let me inquire a proposal to you heart me goodn album i hopes
>>
Cover art, Their two songs that aren't on their albums are the only great thing they ever did. I actually like warsaw and new order more than joy division.
>>
>>73808914
If you haven't even listened to this, why are you here and why do you care? You're obviously too cool for joy division, that's far too "exposed." I recommend going to >>>/rym/ to fulfill your need for REAL UNEXPOSED music
>>
>>73808969
yeah lets just stop using a well established genre name thats been around for decades because anon doesn't like it
>>
>>73808980
yeah
>>
>>73808980
electronic is a well established genre name as well and it doesnt mean shit
>>
Meme exposure due to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPIvoJkmGs
>>
it's good, but not the best post-punk album ever made

but the way it sort of hints at industrial music is nice
>>
>>73808914
Both
>>
>>73808914
it's a great album with a legacy of almost 40 years. the t shirt thing is a relatively recent phenomenon

even if you do think the album is overrated (I've yet to see such an opinion articulated without buzzwords), it has nothing to do with the fucking shirts
>>
>>73808969
Exactly. It's the point in time where punk rock learned how to play instruments properly and how to write lyrics
>>
>>73808980
It was never a popular term and is still relatively new, tbph. Few bands would actually refer to themselves as post-punk.
>>
>>73808914
It's honestly a masterpiece
>>
>>73808969
>>73809383
>more melodic
>learned how to play instruments properly
literally the antithesis of post-punk
>>
>>73809510
This is untrue
>>
its literally the pop version of throbbing gristle but with terrible musicians. the only redeeming thing is Martin Hannett carrying this album with his odd production techniques.
trash
>>
>>73809553
post-punk was en extension of punk. it was meant to be more ambitious musically than punk, taking a wider range of influences, but still the general idea was "taking music away from musicians," which was why the music was a lot more dissonant than, say, progressive rock. punk itself was simple, catchy and anthemic in contrast
>>
Joy Division is the most boring post-punk bands and quite possibly the most overrated band of all time.
>>
>>73809565
oh contrare anon
>>
>>73809686
you can't explain why in any detail though, so your opinion counts for nothing
>>
>>73809686
I don't see how anyone can say this when Radiohead and The Beetles exist
>>
>>73809700
>you can't explain why in any detail though,
you can't explain in detail why they are good.
>>
>>73809700
They make very sparse, unenergetic, and simplistic music with no depth that gets lauded as being far better than it is cuz muh atmosphere.
>>73809718
At least those guys try. JD is just lazy trash yet gets considered one of the GOATs.
>>
>>73809565
>terrible musicians
At least give Stephen Morris credit he deserves. He was by no means terrible musician.
>>
>>73808914

It's a really good album. Popularity and entry-levelness doesn't automatically make something less worthwhile.
>>
>>73809782
Thank you for proving my point

>>73809770
I have not shared my opinion on Joy Division
>>
>>73809845
>can't bring substantial counter argument
>thx for proving my point
Combined with your other response, anyone can see how hard you're trying to backpedal.
>>
>>73809845
>I have not shared my opinion on Joy Division

so you're trolling then. nice!
>>
>>73809869
>They make very sparse, laid back, and minimalistic music that is straight to the point with plenty of atmosphere.
This is why your argument isn't substantial in any way

>>73809883
Just trying to improve the board. If you have nothing insightful to say, don't post!
>>
>>73809904
>If you have nothing insightful to say, don't post!
clearly you are the king of that.
>>
>>73809904
You still haven't explained why it isn't substantial. Until you bring up actual points, you got nothing. So, until you got points...

>Joy Division fans btfo for listening to the most boring critically lauded band of all times!
>>
>>73809383
>Exactly. It's the point in time where punk rock learned how to play instruments properly and how to write lyrics
Please, every musician in Joy Division was an amateur at best, and that level of competence was absolutely normal in the scene.
Of course this does not matter (who cares about the counterpoint or delicate phrasing in Unkown Pleasures? If it's there I'll appreciate it, if it's not there I'll get over it, those sorts of sophistication were not the point of this music in the first place), but to say the opposite is still wrong.
>>
>>73809938
It isn't substantial, because you don't explain anything. You can list a bunch of adjectives alongside any piece of music, but if you can't actually explain how they relate, you aren't saying anything specific. The burden is on you to explain how the music is "unenergetic" or "boring" or why atmosphere is unimportnt, but you can't because you have the musical vocabulary of a small child and are quite happy to just shitpost unsubstantiated opinions and pat yourself on the back for it. Simplistic music with no depth? What do you even mean by that? What is depth in music, to you? What is a post-punk band you would consider complex, and why is this a virtue? And so on.
>>
>>73810021
>all this crap and can't even give a "opinion of joy division"
try to post informative content next time.
>>
not even going to dignify this with a (You)
>>
try to post actual good content for once okay bud?
>>
>>73810021
>JD fan pretending like he has never listened to JD to try to win an internet argument
Embarassing
>>
>>73808914
Not terrible at all but pretty damn overrated.
Every song sounds kinda the same too.
>>
>>73810151
>pretending like he has never listened to JD
What are you referring to?
>>
>>73810159
>JD fan pretending to act like things go over his head
These JD fans are just as predictably boring as their music. I bet he's gonna be like "explain what went over my head?" Or something in that vein.
>>
>>73810237
>arguing that people should not like music that does not appeal to you
>>
>>73810256
>too scared to admit you like trash
>>
>>73810237
Please keep going, you're very easy to goad and it's actually quite entertaining. You're like a retarded animal being poked in a zoo.
>>
>>73810266
>being so insecure that you have to find superiority in something as asinine as music taste
>>
>>73810298
>retarded animal
jfc shit taste in music and likes to abuse animals.
fuck off
>>
>>73810315
Again!
>>
>>73810304
>admits to not caring about music
why even come here at all then?
>>
>>73810330
wow this reading comprehension is quite sad.
where did you grow up so I can make a donation to your schools?
>>
>>73808914
It was a great album until Joy Division was on Thirteen Reasons Why
>>
>>73810348
you can donate money to me personally.
>>
>>73810298
>resorting to straight up shit talking the posters instead of backing up JD
Hahhahahahahahha imagine having such a terrible favorite band that you focus on the people that disagree instead of the band itself.
>>
>>73810361
Never seen it, kind of hard to take seriously any person who'd actually want to
>>
>>73810384
>kind of hard to take seriously any person who'd actually want to
you couldn't explain in detail why.
>>
>>73810380
Once more! I've made my case and you couldn't respond, now I just want to see you dance!
>>
>>73808969
thats literally what post-punk is lmao
>>
>>73810399
where's my paypal money?
>>
>>73809012
yeah but thats way more broad than post-punk
>>
>>73810431
You get nothing, you're free entertainment
>>
>>73810399
I literally did respond though. Note how my post has 73810298 that signifies the response to you. JD fans have left the realm of reality. Nor are they very interesting when it comes to shit talk either as they are repetitive just like JD. Yes, I too can post low effort garbage like you, but I don't want this thread to be as boring/straightforward as JD itself.
>>
>>73810508
More
>>
Where should I start with New Order?
>>
>>73810550
Blue Monday, then drop them. Only slightly better than JD, but not by much.
>>
>>73810550
Power, Corruption & Lies
Substance is their best though, IMO. Technically isn't a studio album
>>
>>73810440
t.poorfag
>>
>>73810584
Another (You), this is fun! I'm just being frugal
>>
>>73808914
lol everyone in this thread is a fag. And yeah it's a pretty good album but there's better post-punk albums out there.
>>
>>73810591
Not that guy but posting one good troll then having multiple responses to it would've been more effective than what you're doing with that guy.
>>
>>73810550
at the beginning, especially if you're coming from joy division
>>
>>73810573
>>73810576
>>73810647
Thank you! I'll just start from the beginning, I have got time.
>>
i like Joy Division
>>
>>73808914

It's fantastic. One of my favorites
>>
>>73810361
LWTUA was always way overrated anyway and its not even on this album
>>
>>73810845

I've never understood why that song gets so much praise. It's good, but definitely overrated. Is it popular because of Ian's death?
>>
>>73808965
>that album invented modern rock music

he didn't post Doolittle, anon
>>
>>73810897
Well, it is written on his grave.
>>
>>73810897
It's the poppiest song they made
>>
>>73808974
You do know that UP is in the top 20 of all time on RYM right?
>>
>>73811252

Must mean it's absolute shit
>>
>>73808914
I love the whole album but listen to New Dawn Fades really loud, or Disorder. That's what hooked me in.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.