[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where to start listening to this dude

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: zappa.jpg (514KB, 900x878px) Image search: [Google]
zappa.jpg
514KB, 900x878px
i just entered his spotify page and has like 300 albums
>>
start with hot rats it's one of his most accessible and one of his best too
>>
they're all shit. turn back now
>>
My uncle bought me Strictly Commercial before I even knew who Zappa was. It's a good place to start.

If you like free form music, start with Hot Rats.

Though if you like dad rock/psychedelic stuff, I'd recommend Apostrophe.

In terms of his most humorous music, Joe's Garage is his magnum opus.
>>
>>73735633
objectively wrong. Hot Rats is god tier instrumental wankery.

I'd recommend doing this (I've been listening to Zappa since 2 years old)
1. Sheik Yerbouti
2. Apostrophe
Want more of the same? Do Over-nite sensation
Want more instrumentals? Do Hot Rats
Want Trout Mask Replica? Do Freak Out

proceed to whatever you want, although I'd recommend you'd listen to The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life to round up the essential Zappa.
>>
He's a good songwriter and musician but I can not stand five seconds of his music
>>
>>73735678

All I can hear is fatigue in the tone of Sheik Yerbouti. I think Joe's Garage accomplished what he was aiming for in Shiek Yerbouti, but the album ended up becoming too forced and dry.
>>
>>73735690
>>73735662
Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before. Some people simply can't fathom the idea of music with a sense of humor and satire.
>>
hot rats, apostrophe, and over-nite sensation
>>
>>73735621
>>73735678
Don't skip Yellow Shark OP. If you want to hear Zappa's classical music the way he meant it to sound, definitely listen to Yellow Shark. One of the most successful classical and rock music combinations is achieved on Burnt Weeny Sandwich.
>>
>>73735731
Maybe we just don't like it...
>>
>>73735783
Great. It's not like that's an original opinion or that I implied otherwise.
>>
>>73735621
With his first album, like you would any other artist
>>
>>73735752
This is actually a good recommendation.
After that you should try Sheik Yerbuti and You Are What You Is, and maybe Broadway The Hard Way.

After you've soaked that in maybe you might be ready for The man From Utopia. If you like that, you might be ready for the more intermediate stuff. Frank Zappa could be straight ahead mesh, but he also had a bit of a weird side.

Does anybody have a chart for OP?

Either way start with Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe, and work your way p from there.

And if you haven't done so, watch the film Eat That Question.
>>
>>73735621
the only objectively right way
>chronologically
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.