[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0594.jpg (46KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0594.jpg
46KB, 480x360px
>>
>>73733564
They're both different. You can't really compare the two

Alice In Chains is a more metal based sound whereas Nirvana is a more punk based sound.
>>
HERE THEY COME TO SNUFF THE ROOSTER
>>
Dirt > Jar of Flies > In Utero > Nirvana Unplugged > Alice in Chains Unplugged > Nevermind > Bleach > Incesticide > Alice in Chains s/t > Facelift

All of them are good albums
>>
>>73733564
music is subjective
>>
>>73733724
*taste* in music is subjective
>>
>>73733564
Alice in Chains has more quality songs than nirvana.
>>
>>73733666
forgot nevermind
>>
I like AiC better, but Nirvana obviously had a bigger impact
>>
>>73733666
But AIC self titled is the best.
>>
>>73733612
And?
They're both rock bands, fucking compare their quality, pussy.
>>
>>73733612
>you can't compare different things

That's exactly what you can compare, retard
>>
>>73733754
no. music is objectively subjective. these two bands are exactly equal the same way that Grimes is equal to Mozart.
>>
File: IMG_0596.jpg (26KB, 343x377px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0596.jpg
26KB, 343x377px
>>73733666
>Nirvana Unugged > Alice In Chains Unplugged
>>
Nirvana for catchy rawness, AIC for great vocal harmonies and tighter harder rock songs
>>
>>73733926
desu it's so close I might as well just put them equal to eachother
>>
>>73733926
I tend to agree, even though I think Nirvana was the worst of the 4. One thing they got right that the others didn't was not playing their heavy songs at unplugged. Would? just does not work unplugged.
>>
>>73733666
>Dirt>Any nirvana album

Shig
>>
>>73733966
Nirvana is gay af lad
>>
>>73733564
Man i love Aic so much I'd definitely pick them over Nirvana. Layne Staley is one of my favourite all time singers. Nirvana are cool and all but Aic have a much more diverse disog and imo are better.
>>
Anyone who says Alice In Chains is either a metal fan first or just a contrarian

>That clearly hair metal influenced songwriting
>Bland hard rock blooz-isms
>Awful lyrics (at times)
>Not quite metal-metal

I will give Alice in Chains this. They reached greater heights than Nirvana musically on occasion, but if we're talking consistency then yeah, Nirvana easy.

Nirvana's b-sides were better than most bands entire discog. I prefer punk influence to metal as well. Cobain had better taste than any of the Alice in Chain's guys, which supplemented his songwriting.

The only reason I say AIC reached greater heights is because of Jar of Flies, which is rooted in traditional blues style songwriting, which I think lends itself to striking a sort of folksy resonance with me and I assume others as well. It's why some of those Zeppelin tracks are so good.

Cobain never went there, opting for the fresher indie/college rock and punk music as influences. The one time he did on unplugged, he did an incredible cover of Lead Belly, one that rivals a lot of the material on Jar of Flies.
>>
>>73733966
This is something I just cannot agree with familio
>>
Nirvana
>catchier songs
>edgier to teenage girls & HT shoppers

AIC
>better musicians
>more versatile
>Jerry Cantrell

pic one
>>
Anyone who says Nirvana is either a pop fan first or just a plebeian

>That clearly punk influenced songwriting
>Bland hard rock pop-isms
>Awful lyrics (at times)
>Not quite punk-punk

I will give Nirvana this. They reached greater heights than Alice in Chains musically on occasion, but if we're talking consistency then yeah, Alice in Chains easy.

Alice in Chains's b-sides were better than most bands entire discog. I prefer metal influence to punk as well. Cantrell had better taste than any of the Nirvana guys, which supplemented his songwriting.

The only reason I say Nirvana reached greater heights is because of Nevermind, which is rooted in traditional pop style songwriting, which I think lends itself to striking a sort of commercial resonance with me and I assume others as well. It's why some of those Monkees tracks are so good.

Cantrell never went there, opting for the fresher indie/college rock and metal music as influences. The one time he did on unplugged, he did an incredible cover of Hee Haw, one that rivals a lot of the material on Nevermind.
>>
>>73734111
Not an argument
>>
>>73734026
>>73734111
Woah,
>>
What about Alice in Wheels?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-APda2LT0
>>
>>73734098
As soon as you see
>edgier

Brought up as a negative you know you're not dealing with actual musical discussion, but rather a critique of fans. Which proves my point. You're just being contrarians because teen girls like Nirvana more than Alice in Chains.

I'm sure if Layne died in 94 and not Kurt and had this huge cult of personality around him, you'd all be saying Nirvana.
>>
>>73734147
>Cobain came out in a wheelchair
>he was just pretending XD
>Staley comes out in a wheelchair
>Because he literally has a broken foot

Cobain confirmed wheelchair poser.
>>
>>73734167
No I just like Dirt more
>>
>>73734167
>I'm sure if Layne died in 94 and not Kurt and had this huge cult of personality around him, you'd all be saying Nirvana.

Except Alice In Chains CONSISTENTLY made better music, Bleach & Incesticide only rival AIC s/t, nothing else.
>>
File: eddie_layne_chris.jpg (15KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
eddie_layne_chris.jpg
15KB, 500x315px
>>73734177
>"Thank God it ain't a broken dick!"
>>
Nirvana. Their songs are catchier and even Alice and Chains best work falls flat compared to Nirvana's best work. And Nirvana had things about their sound that no one else had- for one: Dave Grohl, for another Kurt's strange chords, the idea that a solo can just be a bunch of shitty notes played poorly- it's an artistic statement. And I even like their lyrics more. AIC was very dark all the time whereas Nirvana's were really like poetry
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>73734243
>Kurt's strange chords
holy shit you can't be this pleb, it's literally impossible.
>>
>>73734111
>>Not quite punk-punk
no shit they were emulating noise rock in their albums after bleach and in bleach they're were emulating melvins
>>
File: Jesuschristpose.jpg (367KB, 777x839px) Image search: [Google]
Jesuschristpose.jpg
367KB, 777x839px
I think we all know the real answer

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spj8f8wuiasn6so/Cornell%20Hoax%20Narrative.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>73733564

I used to love alice in chains but every time I hear them now they sound like shit. I can't unhear how bad their guitars sound, I don't know why every 90's grunge band had to have that same shitty gargly white noise amps but once I noticed it it hasn't been the same, just sounds like a guy growling over white noise.

Nirvana is kind of shit in that regard too, but over all they're still a little more tolerable.
>>
>>73734243
>Kurt's strange chords
name an example of this because i cant name one instance
>>
>>73734271
>Implying Lithium is a conventional chord progression
>>
>>73734289

Layne > Kurt = Chris
>>
File: tenor.gif (1010KB, 498x432px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
1010KB, 498x432px
>>73734285
>Nevermind
>In Utero
>noise rock
So not quite noise rock-noise rock?
>>
Nirvana discog. > all AiC
>>
>>73734302

All Apologies is in Dsus7 major flat B minor... a chord progression so complex he couldn't even use his hands to play it live.
>>
>>73734324
>>Nevermind
endless nameless, territorial pissings
>>In Utero
radio friendly unit shifter, milk it, tourettes, the fact the "albini" sound is everywhere on this album and was no doubt an influence.

Never said it wasn't watered down but its very clear they were attempting noise rock
>>
>>73734306
Chris > Layne > Eddie > Kurt
>>
>>73734304
It literally is, are you fucking mental?
It's just power chords like every Nirvana song.
E5 / G#5 / C#5 / A5 / C5 / D5 / B5 / D5
and the "I like It" part is just A5 / C5
There is literally nothing strange about it at all. It's literally babbys first rock song tier.
>>
>>73734339
ill be honest i never played guitar can someone tell me how difficult this is?
>>
>>73734358
Nothing noise rock about territorial pissings
Endless Nameless isn't even on most copies of the album
In Utero has a couple of noise things but it's hardly a focus enough to call it noise rock.
>>
>>73734376
If you are a weekend warrior who doesn't put in 3+ hours in a day, then yeah, this is difficult
>>
>>73734376
Not difficult at all.
Here's a fedora nerd playing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LEmEni0UFM
>>
>>73734372
>Literally nothing strange

He's not saying the chord shapes were strange, he's saying the progressions were, which they tended to be.

>It''s literally -lists off all the chords and pretends like he knows what he's talking about-

The fact that you put it in E, when it's in D, and put 5 when they aren't 5 chords tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>73734406
>the progressions were strange
which they weren't
the whole thing is tuned down a whole tone so it is in D, But the progression I wrote is correct and is how it's played on the guitar.
They are 5 chord shitlord, there is no 3rd note in any of them.
If you're literally impressed by a Nirvana song then it's (You) that has no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>73734486
So we were both wrong, you got the key wrong, I got a 5 mixed up with a 7.

Regardless, you for some reason think a song in d major with an accidental b which is out of key, and yes strange sounding, is somehow super conventional, even though it's rare for pop music.

I bet you'd say In Bloom's progression isn't strange either, even though it's has at least 2 off key chords. That isn't common in Nirvana's style of rock music, and it's why a lot of their copy cats never got their style right.

>literally
>literally
>literally

This doesn't make your point any stronger btw
>>
Alice in Chains is actually kind of a groove metal band, in the best way, so them.

Kurt could definitely write a catchy, Bealesesque melody, but if I want that I'll listen to the Beatles, and otherwise, would rather listen to good, churning metal riffage.
>>
>>73734521
> off key chords
Which is the most basic shit in rock music, particularly metal.
It's not strange at all.

>This doesn't make your point any stronger btw
It literally does
>>
>>73734243
>Kurt's strange chords
Oh yeah man those generic Punk Chords are so insane
>>
>>73734521
>you got the key wrong
Oh and I knew the key, but as a guitarist you write down standard tuning chords so as to not confuse the positioning.
And it's irrelevant to the discussion because changing the key down a whole tone doesn't make the progression any stranger
>>
>>73734557
>Which is the most basic shit

A D Major progression that sounds happy, then takes a quick turn on the A#, is not conventional.

Out of key shit in metal is common, but in a POP setting, which Nirvana was doing, it's weird.

>>73734563
>Implying In Bloom is generic

Name one progression like it
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.