[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where exactly did Trout Mask Replica come from? Nearly every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: captainbeefheart.jpg (21KB, 288x300px) Image search: [Google]
captainbeefheart.jpg
21KB, 288x300px
Where exactly did Trout Mask Replica come from? Nearly every fresh sounding take on rock music can be traced to some sources that really make you say 'oh, THAT'S where it came from', but Trout Mask Replica doesn't really sound like anything before it to me. There's obviously some free jazz in there, some delta blues, and some psychedelic/weird rock (Zappa for example) in there, but there's a lot of bizarre shit that I can't find anywhere else.
>>
>>73713043
>but there's a lot of bizarre shit that I can't find anywhere else.
specifically? m
I would imagine the stuff that has no point of origin is just idiosyncratic to beefheart
>>
>>73713043
it definitely has some shoegaze elements in there as well
>>
It's just experimental howlin wolf
>>
Delta blues a la John Lee Hooker's electric style
Chicago Blues a la Howlin' Wolf
Avant classical (he references Steve Reich in Moonlight on Vermont)
Psych rock because it's the late 60s
Free jazz
Nature (Beefheart loved how birds sang and likely used them for ideas)
>>
OP have you ever listened to free jazz?
>>
its quirky blues rock
>>
>>>73713043
>"Where exactly did Trout Mask Replica come from"
>free jazz
>delta blues
>psychedelic rock

Sounds like you answered your own question there.
Throw some beat poetry, country, and garage rock in there and you have the answer.
I never quite got the hype around Beefheart. This album sounds very much of the time and scene it came from to me, really.
>>
>>73713270
>Veteran's Day Poppy
>When Big Joan Steps Out
>Frownland
>My Human Gets Me Blues
>Pena

You gotta admit that lots of this album makes sense, but doesn't. It's a little jarring to think someone amidst all these new sounds and ideas would just incorporate them ALL
>>
>>73713233
yes, and as I said there are some free jazz elements. however, if you listen to the album there's a lot of intricate and repeating patterns that the instruments play. many of the songs are obviously carefully composed and rehearsed, and I'm not sure if there are many examples of a rock band playing such carefully practiced yet atonal interlocking guitar parts like you see on many of the songs.

a lot of the songs have the spirit of free jazz and/or 'freak out' music, but couldn't be further from those two genres in their discipline and preparedness. the main thing that is unique to trout mask to me is how all of the sections that make up the songs- the instruments used being two guitars, both playing melodies most of the time, bass, and drums- are carefully composed, often musically unusual (time signature, atonal, rhythmically different, nearly independent of what the other instruments are playing, etc.), and shift rapidly. the structures are sometimes far from verse chorus type rock music of the time, and simply move from A to B to C to D to E to whatever comes next (Steal Softly for example).
>>
>>73713333
Did you know that Miles Davis was on the same bent around the time of TMR? Everyone thought his live performances were completely free jazz, but they were pretty detailed and exact on what most of the songs and jams were, only Miles would signal where to go using a musical signal riff or phrase. It's fascinating really
>>
>>73713162
fuck right off, hipster
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.