[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Round 2: live reactions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

File: ITAOTS.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
ITAOTS.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
part 2 for live reactions of /mu/core i havent heard before from a /jazz/ tripfag. begining at 11 o clock eastern standard time, Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. honestly, i dont have high expactations for this but im hoping it proves me wrong and will be dropping the needle with as little bias as i can.
>>
Honestly, I kind of like this live reaction meme. This could end up being a comfy trend.
>>
>>73675916
and the best part is that it started in a thread that caused grimesfags to sperg out

>>73675887
I would change your name to "Mangum" to maintain the meme of the lead singer's name spelled wrong.
>>
>>73675941
isnt mangum the correct spelling? idk who this guy is, i was keeping with my Tom Yorke joke.
>>73675916
yeah i saw the grimes sperg thread and was like well, i have some /mu/core in my back catalog and 2 gallon jug of shitty Burgundy left over from a recepie i made last night so why not, looks comfy.
>>
>>73676013
holy shit, I'm stupid. nevermind
>>
>>73676076
keeek.

okay, starting very soon. went out for a cigarette. this is also my first time hearing
NMH in general.
>>
Let's get to it
>>
11:18 pm
You were the king of carrot flowers
>>
some pretty interesting harmonic motion on king of carrott flowers pt. 1, a few nice chord changes but really interesting harmonic rhythm for this type of music. on to pt. 2 and 3
>>
and the i love you jesus christ meme appears. i seen all the memes, its funny to hear them in context. so far i like this a lot more then i thought i would. but i dont love this fast section after the jesus christ shouting, nice guitar tones though.
>>
>>73676389
im following bud
>>
so, another update i guess. Mangum really has a fantastic knack for creating some really really beautiful melodys, the large interval leaps in the chorus's of two headed boy and in the aeroplane over the sea are chilling and the production is excellent as far as keeping it very stripped back. also got damnit i fucking looove acoustic indie pop with brass, it really really sits in the mix well and the slow melodic phrases with sustain work better then a guitar solo with the other timbres. main critique so far is that i think he couldve developed the ideas in these songs and added more to them, theyre too short! but maybe thats cause im a jazz guy. the harmony isnt necesarily ground breaking but the harmonic rhythm and phrasing is pretty interesting and unique. Mangum is definitely a top tier song writer, in the same league as many of the best in my opinion.
>>
semin stains the mountain tops? i know thats the meme but idk what else i could be hearing that as. also, the brass is starting to feel alittle over used. the combination of acoustic songs and then heavily distorted guitars is pretty fantastic. also, so far, two songs in compound meters. not really anything unheard of but i like the triplet feel and mangum sounds comfortable in it.
>>
smart to not cover the, at times, low production quality with reverb. nothing wrong with the vocal mic clipping sometimes.
>>
>>73676664
It's because that's what he's saying.
>>
>>73676720
holy fuckin shit hahha, i gotta read the lyrics on this damn thing. theres been some really beautiful poetic moments lyrically, some nice metaphors in Ghost so far, though im not a lyrical person a lot of the time. less of a smart or theoretical comment here but this seems like a fun fucking show to see live though i guess they dont tour or something? still really enjoying it a lot more then i expected to and the combination of timbres is still a highlight.
>>
>>73676776
Magnum is dedded
>>
last track now, phrases of 3 and 5 is really uncommon but he makes it sound natural.
>>
>>73676827
the fuck does dedded mean son?
>>
>>73676877
He kill meng
>>
>>73676912
...fuckin i still dont know what your on about friendo haha

Well, everyone the record is over. Really surprised me with this one /mu/ this was really a great record, probably the height of whatever genre you would put this in, indie pop/singer songwriter kind of thing. fucking blows the rest of that shit out of the water. the record has a really nice flow to it, seems to build in energy and instrumentation in general before settling back down with the last track. you know, this genre and style usually annoy the shit out of me because the only thing that changes from album to album is the lyrics of whatever mundane love song some good-looking indie chad is singing. this is really unique for the style, his melodys are really the strongest point i think, certainly catchy but with a healthy dose or originality and those large interval leaps into his upper register seem to be a bit of a trade mark cause it does happen a lot on this record. of course, the different instrumentation used from track to track and overall (acoustic guitar mixed with synths, brass, some sort of weird organ thing, accordian) really create some nice textures. again, the chords were surprising at times but nothing too surprising but the phrasing and spacing of the chords is really unique to his songwriting style. i went in to this thinking it would be some feelsy bullshit but was really surprised. if i had to put a number on it id say its maybe a 9 or 8.5 or so, though when i rank things i compare it to everything ive heard and theres not really anyone outside of coltrane that gets above a 9.3 for me.
>>
>>73677115
Glad to hear you liked it. I held off listening to this for awhile and didn't have any expectations going into it either. It has become one of my personal favorites over time though.
What are you listening to next, and when? Also I missed the first thread, what did you listen to and what were your thoughts?
>>
>>73677192
well, idk really, i hadnt thought to keep going but id be happy to i guess. the first one was OK Computer and i thought it was really really good of course, great energy on the first tracks though it maybe felt alittle front loaded as far as energy goes. lot of great tracks and the ballads at the end are all beautiful, sonically really nice as far as some of the synths go and i liked the drumming. i wrote a lot more but youll have to check the archive. id be down to do maybe one more of these tonight if anyone has any reccs for bona fide mu core, i havent heard most of it. gotta be a shorter record though, under an hour.
>>
>>73677279
How about The Money Store?
>>
>>73677192
i think i gave OKC about an 8 too tho its maybe alittle lower on the scale then this, maybe an 8.3 or so. though i dont like the numbers thing so much, i end up contradicting myself cause im not at all a critic or anything and havent done any writing beside academic papers about jazz.
>>
>>73677294
hahahha oh fuck, yeah i could definitely do that, ive only heard a little of exmilitary and thats it for the death gribs. though i know a few guys in the OKC thread liked the fact that i could pull some music theory related analysis out of it and i think id have to approach that as purely an artistic thing, which i usually prefer to do. so far the Money Store is in the running, ill start the next one at 12.45 EST so if anyone has any other /mu/core theyd like me to consider ill weigh my options. is TMS considered their absolute best record? i know its the mucoreiest.
>>
>>73677345
I guess? Some people argue that Niggas on the Moon is their best because it's the most experimental. TMS is their most accessible and catchy work.
>>
>>73677345
Their best is really up to your taste cause all of their albums are different. Mine is personall Niggas on the Moon, but if you're gonna do that one might as well do all of The Powers That Be
>>
>>73677345
Every DG album is pretty different. Most people would argue that TMS or TPTB is their best though. I wouldn't start with TPTB though, since it's a double album. Your analysis may also be fun with Trout Mask Replica, btw.
>>
>>73677345
you should definitely start with tms. personally i think ExM, NOTM, NLDW, and GP are all better after going through the discog like 10 times. Still the classic album that everyone should listen to.
>>
>>73677401
>might as well do all of The Powers That Be
I would say either start with Exmilitary and work your way up or start with TMS because it's /mu/core. All of their albums are fairly different from eachother with the exception of Bottomless Pit being sort of a mix of styles. For most people their music isn't really love on first listen, it took me a bit to get into it but once I did I started enjoying all of it.
>>
>>73677407
Trout Mask Replica could be really cool, I agree.
>>
>>73677345
Remain in Light, give it a listen
>>
>>73677429
Yeah your right. He asked for best, but it only became my favorite because I've heard their discography. Its introspective into MC Ride, one of the only times he's introspective at all. I started with ExMil and TMS to build up to that one, so yeah either one of those is a good start.
>>
>>73677401
>>73677429
>>73677432
cant do all of Powers that Be tonight cause i gotta go to bed at some point. Ive heard trout mask from front to bad once or twice and liked it (also too long for tonight) so cant do a first reaction kind of thing for it.
The Money Store is still the front runner, anyone else have something they think would be more interesting to read a slightly drunk, complete jazzfagsupremes first response to, im pretty much open to anything /mu/core.
>>
>>73677524
Have you listened to The Glow Pt 2? That's another I ended up loving unexpectedly
>>
>>73677492
heard it a million times, talking heads are one of my favorite non-jazz groups, sorry i should have mentioned that one as off limits i guess, havent really heard any of the other entry level /mu/core besides that, kid a, and now okc, and itaots
>>
>>73677524
do TMS right now boy
>>
>>73677546
Maybe give Merriweather Post Pavilion a go.
>>
>>73677500
TPTB is my favorite DG album as well. I feel like it's kind of unfair to say that though so if I had to rank one side over the other, I think I would say that I prefer Jenny Death.

>>73677546
>besides that, kid a, and now okc, and itaots
You should really listen to King Crimson sometime senpai. For now though I'm still voting for TMS.
>>
>>73677544
i havent heard that, ill put that in the running i guess. so far its between The Money Store and The Glow pt. 2. any other reccs and also which would everyone rather me do? quick, i gotta get this going soon, thanks!
>>
>>73677559
fuck this is also good
>>
>>73677564
I like NotM better. Has a more visceral yet emotional feel to it idk. I can feel some lines on it more
>>
>>73677570
fuck nvm, glow pt. 2 is too long. im open to doing in the court of the crimson king, i think id like that one a lot
>>73677559
yeah im open to doing that, ive never listened to anco but i dont think ill like it at all haha but of course, ill try to put aside my bias when it comes time to listen.
>>
>>73677612
The Money Store Is my vote if you can't do The Glow Pt 2
>>
>>73677612
ITCOTCK is probably right up your alley, so given that I'd rather see your reaction to The Money Store
>>
>>73677607
Yeah I know what you mean. I love the energy that JD has and how the album concludes. I still think both albums are fucking great
>>
>>73677612
One last question, how often are you gonna make these threads?
>>
>>73677640
+
>>
>>73677629
yeah maybe another time if i ever do this again haha, i got a lot of free time in the nights over the summer though so im not opposed.

Alright time for time for the very last call
>Death Grips- The Money Store
>King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
>ANCO- MPP

as far as what i think id like from most to least itd be KC, DG, ANCO. if that means anything to you.
>>
>>73677653
im literally just doing this tonight cause ive been drinking a little and live alone and have nothing to do and got the idea from the grimes thread. if you wanna try to reach me to ask me to do this another time id be open to it, just as for Nuff Nuff in the jazz general, but DO NOT FUCKING bother the jazz general outside of that, lurk and post about jazz, but dont fuck it up.
>>
>>73677642
Yeap, and idk the appeal I have for them either. At first it was just by chance I liked the beats, but after a while I started to actually like the songs. Got a lot of raw emotion in them i guess
>>
>>73677691
obviously dont go asking in the jazz general now cause im already doing this but i post in almost all of them is what i mean and id be free to do it most evenings on the east coast, except when i have a gig.
>>
>>73677671
I say TMS
>>
>>73677671
Gotta go with The Money Store. Seems like the biggest wild card.
>>
>>73677737
Well I will probably forget about this, I somewhat have a life. But this was an interesting thread, good idea.
>>
>>73677738
>>73677755
Word, the money store it is haha, this will be fucking interesting. ive only heard the first two songs on Exmili and i liked them so im kinda excited i guess. give me a few minutes to set up the thread and ill see you in there.
>>
>>73677768
yeah, i usually have way more of a life then this but im in this weird period for the next like ten days where im living alone and have more or less nothing to do besides practice all day, dont even have any gigs scheduled which is weird for me. i have a lesson with a bassist named william parker coming up and im working the door at a jazz club in a few nights but other then that im bored as fuck. im also a student.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.