[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

[Serious] What were Kurt's talents?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

Musically, what made him stand out. Why is he considered great by other artist? Was he a "genius" at something?
>>
>>73665637
>Was he a "genius" at something?

Marrying his own murderer and having a kid with her
>>
>>73665637
great voice
wrote pretty great "rebel" pop lyrics that sat well with his audience.
>>
>>73665637
I know he killed and the stunted growth of a whole genre of music.
>>
>>73665671
this
>>
'Come As You Are' is a masterful song. Probably their best.
He just had a good ear for music...

Underrated Nirvana songs:
Blew
Lounge Act
Serve The Servants
Very Ape
>>
>>73665637
embodied the world historical zeitgeist

>What Cobain's weighed down by above all is the dead heaviness of the past, the overwhelming sense that everything has already been done. When Kurt Cobain first heard the punk records that would excite and inspire him, they were already old news, the fading afterglow of long-extinct stars. He lived, he always knew, in the arid cultural interregnum that Jameson, referring to an ostensibly very different cultural sphere, called "a world in which stylistic innovation is no longer possible, [where] all that is left is to imitate dead styles, to speak through the masks and with the voices of the styles in the imaginary museum. But this means that contemporary or postmodernist art is going to be about art itself in a new kind of way; even more, it means that one of its essential messages will involve the necessary failure of art and the aesthetic, the failure of the new, the imprisonment in the past." (PCS 18)

>NO FUTURE had a gleeful edge when Rotten sang it, a sense, not only of being relieved of an obligation to the future , but of being freed from a responsibility to the past . But from where slacker was, Rotten's sneer, even Mclaren's demystifying Svengali strategies, looked as nostalgic as the Silver Jubilee they supposedly opposed. Where the xerox revolution of punk emerged in the wreckage of disciplinary societies , as an escape from the dreary treadmill of school and dead end jobs, Slacker was in a control(led) loop from the start. Its every move anticipated, tracked, bought and sold before it had even happened. Cobain knows that he's just another piece of spectacle, that nothing runs better on MTV than a protest against MTV. Knows that his every move is a cliche, scripted in advance. Knows that even realising it is a cliche.

http://www.ccru.net/swarm1/1_pomo.htm
>>
>>73665829
This
>>
he's overrated but he's really not as bad as contrarians will tell you.

i used to wonder the same thing until i heard bleach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkID1_eosJo
>>
sensibility.

nobody actually liked that he was a heroin-using white trash pseudo-liberal or his diary-entry lyricism. He just knew his way around arranging a song on guitar. He was masterful at it, honestly. His voice was his gift, and it was able to sit in the pocket with his guitar work so effortlessly that even though he was making 'outsider pop', even normies could understand it immediately.
>>
>>73665637
He took the few things he knew about writing music and experimented with them making noises that sounded different and interested others
>>
>>73665829
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODn21NOi-dQ

Song hit me in the feels.
>>
>>73665883
This epistemological spiral may seem like a runaway ride but at escape velocity it simply goes into a cold orbit, processing everything through the automonitor.The result is a dreadful physical paralysis. "Words take a long time to emerge from this gravity, from Cobain's hoarse, seemingly shredded throat. It might be months on the radio or MTV before you begin to catch what's being said in Nirvana songs - 'sell the kids for food', 'I don't mind if I don't have a mind', 'I feel stupid and contagious', 'I'm neutered and spayed', 'at the end of the rainbow and your rope', 'I don't care if it's old' - but the feeling of humiliation, disintegration, of defeat by some distant malevolence, is what the music says by itself." (ALD 29)

It's Baudrillard who is the consummate philosopher of Slacker and its correlative physical state, the lethargic couch-potato impotence, the affectless, doped tension-free of the terminally defeated. "One day the image of a person watching a television screen voided by a technicians' strike will be seen as the the perfect epitome of the anthropological reality of the twentieth century." (TE 13)

Metaphoresensic analysis screens events before they happen. They arrive prepackaged and prefiled as niche commodities: tragedy, massacre, political condemnation, all-party talks mediamatically pattern recognised, the extirpation of contingency going hand in hand with the proliferation of categories, vocabulary. The significatory categories have to be established before anything is allowed to "happen".
>>
>>73665637
He had a really good ear for pop melodies. Also his abstract lyrics always kept people guessing.
>>
>>73665726
>implying 80's hair and glam metal didn't do this already

All he did was have the natural reaction to the worst music that the genre had to offer
>>
>>73665932
>mfw kurt was the brian wilson of music
>>
it really is incredible what a tragic death can do for your public image
anyone who ever listened to a single interview with kurt cobain could realize that the guy was a complete and utter dumbfuck, mentally on the level of a (not particularly intelligent or mature or eloquent) late teenager
that anyone ever managed to convince themselves that the guy had anything of worth to say about anything says more about how braindead the average gen X-er was than it does about cobain as an artist/generation spokesperson

it's also really fucking hard to take pretty much all of his collegiate(though cobain was too much of a dumbfuck to even manage to get into college) "leftist" posturing seriously considering that none of the things he said lined up with his actions.
he'd shit on the mainstream and praise indie rock values and then call up mtv executives and scream at them for not playing nirvana videos enough.
he'd shit on and refuse to tour with guns n roses due to them being "too macho" and then go on tour with the fucking red hot chili peppers.
he'd describe himself as a feminist and then write a song as hilariously boneheaded and tasteless as "rape me"(not to mention him openly admitting to trying to fuck a retarded girl).
this is a guy who appeared on the cover of rolling stone magazine while wearing a t-shirt that said "corporate magazines still suck". i think that just about summarizes what a braindead, posturing, utterly inauthentic clown of a person kurt cobain was.
i would have killed myself too if i was as much of a fraud as he was.

but hey, he blew his brains out and that means he was actually a tortured tragic genius too pure for this world all along.
>>
>>73665671
This is definitely it, Kurt's voice and style are by far my favorite of the major grunge bands.
>>
>>73665952
One of their best live performances ever. That solo is great. They looked good and sounded great here.
>>
>>73665954
>When Baudrillard says the Gulf war didn't happen, it's because, on the terminal beaches of PoMo, nothing happens any more. "Events" belong to the past; all that's left are commemorations, anniversaries, revivals, remakes, remodels. Events were precisely that which could have happened differently. The Gulf war, meanwhile, had the scripted inevitability of a TV programme - a carefully designed real-time apocalypse scenario that unfolded as it was broadcast, in an uninterrupted (and uninterruptable) telepresent simultaneity. Which is why the Gulf War played the same symbolic role for Slacker that Vietnam did for the sixties.

>Generation X was always out of time: arriving after the orgy, it found itself exiled from the progressivist aspirations of the sixties counterculture and thrown into the seamless temporality of MTV - a temporality Jameson, writing just as MTV was just beginning to broadcast, was already describing when he wrote of "the disappearance of a sense of history, the way in which our entire contemporary social system has little by little begun to lose its capacity to retain its own past, has begun to live in a perpetual present and in a perpetual change..." (PCS 28) But this simultaneous perpetual present is nothing but the endless reiteration of the past: the airless no-time of "the classic", a timeless eternality removed from history because bereft of any sense of contingency.
>>
>>73665972
>All he did was have the natural reaction to the worst music that the genre had to offer

the only difference between many of the hair metal bands that were tearing up the charts at the time and many of the hard rock bands that were littering the seattle underground at the time was that the seattle bands were too poor to afford spandex pants and high-quality cocaine
soundgarden, green river, mother love bone, tad, a large chunk of the sub pop 100/200 bands, these were fucking buttrock bands. they had a lot more in common with W.A.S.P. and motley crue than they did with big black or the pixies.
>>
>>73665975
He was actually smart. He said all this bullshit that made people love him while going behind their backs and doing the shit. Kurt knew that if he did the whole feminism thing women would be attracted to him. He knew if he said GnR was shit everyone would start to think that. Kurt knew what he was doing the whole time.
>>
>>73666058
This
>>
>>73666061

rofl sorry your hero was a phony
>>
>>73665650
lol

He was a fairly good songwriter, plus he was great at portraying his emotions. His music always felt real and raw.
>>
I dunno, he had a bit of edge

pearl jam and soundgarden sound like normies in comparison
>>
>>73665637
>Why is he considered great by other artist?
he made some pretty catchy melodies while also paying homage to his influences, nothing really remarkable.
NO, but pretty enjoyable artist

why do we have a minimum of 10 kurt/nirvana threads a week?
>>
>>73666102
>not knowing I was agreeing with you that he was a phoney
>>
>>73666163
This
>>
Literally every single rockstar in history doesn't really live up to the "hype" if you try to pick apart their life from a detached, rational perspective years after the fact. That being said, Kurt was a pretty and charismatic kid with a great voice who said things which made perfect sense to angsty teens in the 90s. Like all other rockstars, he just made perfect sense in his moment, which is what made him great. If you're asking why someone looking at his life from a cynical perspective in 2017 should think he's special, I don't really know what anyone can tell you.
>>
File: KurtCobainBarney.jpg (104KB, 471x723px) Image search: [Google]
KurtCobainBarney.jpg
104KB, 471x723px
I always wonder if he fully believed the 'It's better to burn out than fade away' thing. Did he know it would make him a legend that's still talked about and remembered fondly decades later? Greg Sage of Wipers seems to think so. Of course there is more to it than that, but that was on his mind when he shot himself.
>>
>>73666163
He had this devil-may-care attitude that was legitimately counter-cultural. Just look at the kind of shit he pulled on live TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0MzeMfcGxA
>>
>>73665975
Kurt Cobain was 'the voice of a generation' precisely because he embodied the angst and contradictions of late 20th century American society. David Foster Wallace and Sam Hyde are further developments of the same world historical archetype. This is why American civilisation is doomed
>>
>>73665975
rape me is an "anti rape song", and buzz said that retarded girl shit is unfounded. Since he lived in a small town itd be a miracle no one knew about this
>>
>>73665637
He was so 90s, that's literally it. In any other decade he'd be considered a joke but Kurt was the literal embodiment of the 90s, especially 90s teenagers. Lazy, angsty, edgy, druggie, "corporatism is bad", "dressing like a bum is cool", "dude cigarettes man", "I'm so depressed", etc.

And I say this as someone who loved and misses the 90s.
>>
someone post the chris ott video
>>
He had the same set of skills that the Beatles had, which was primarily a knack for melody. Plus his voice was unique and expressive.
>>
>>73666259
>the one Nirvana concert not recorded is the one where Kurt wore the Barney costume
>>
>>73666312
Sure, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFPuS1o9d0

I watch all of those videos he did at least once a year. Some of the best pop music criticism/analysis of the Internet/post-Internet age.
I wish Ott could have kept himself in check enough to keep making them on a consistent basis instead of spazzing out and quitting the Internet.
>>
>>73666265
that is hilarious.
>>
>>73666324
this, but i also liked his lyrics, they were romantically grotesque in a jeff mangum kind of way but much more simplistic and according to him, meaningless
>>
>>73665637
Whiny bitch boy who had the world in his hand and hated every minute of it and did drugs instead of cherishing his life. No wonder Courtney blew his fuckin brains out she probably couldnt stand listening to his whiny mouth all day long and taking care of their child on her own. I don't blame her for ending that miserable wretches life. The world is better off though.
>>
>>73666329
Oh shit, for real? I've watched a few bootlegs but have never bothered to check to see if the Halloween one was taped. How'd they manage to not have it recorded?
>>
>>73666285
Come to think of it, Kurt was kinda the Sam Hyde of the 90s. He just used this kind of edgy, nihilistic, satirical style to constantly give middle fingers to mainstream culture.
>>
>>73666265
bands pulled this sort of shit on TOTP all the time lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PV4eiDi12w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqKoM3Gc4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03cPNBXtNdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUTL2jSRIgE
>>
>>73666405
I can't find it anywhere
>>
File: what question mark sam hyde.png (109KB, 299x256px) Image search: [Google]
what question mark sam hyde.png
109KB, 299x256px
>>73666414
Seriously?
>>
>>73666443
Not to mention that Kurt said he did it because he had seen Morrissey do it.
>>
>>73666414
no he wasn't and sam hyde's a comedian. None of that shit is real. Kurt clearly wanted to go mainstream with nevermind which is why its overproduced
>>
>>73666509
The label said that the album had promise for mainstream crossover, and even thought 'Come As You Are' could be a minor hit. Kurt went along with the Butch Vig production to give it the best chance for popularity, but even he could not have predicted it's success.
>>
>perfect voice for music
>good looking
>OK songwriter
>>
>>73666556
I heard an interview with Dave, he said they were touring overseas (before they got big, before the internet, youtube, spotify, etc) and were relatively unknown. While they were overseas he said the radio started playing 'Smells like Teen Spirit' and when they returned home their show in the States was sold out. He said the entire venue was full and couldn't contain everyone. He said that is the moment they knew they 'made it' and I think Dave went on to talk about how hard that was to do back then compared to now.
>>
>>73666655
this
>>
>>73666443
The Oasis one is fucking hilarious. Lmao
All of them are though
>>
>>73666717
When Oasis guy played at the Grande London thing no one knew who he was. I kek'd at that. Stupid generation Y/Z
>>
>>73666655
His songwriting comes first

If being good looking mattered I'd like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden more than I do.
>>
He was not talented at all
>>
>>73665637
He did some good catchy tunes. He is far from genius.
>>
>>73667307
You're a bit late to the bait party
>>
the foo fighters > check em
>>
>verse
>chorus
>verse
>chorus
>solo
>extended chorus

Every Nirvana song ever
>>
>>73665637
really good songwriter

hes still a thot piece of shit though because he defined teenage guitar music as stupid power chord entry level rebellious bullshit and now most guitar music made by young adults is shit
>>
>>73667438
Explain how this is a bad thing to do in pop music.
>>
>>73667438
>why does pop music have pop structure
>>
>>73665637
he wasn't afraid to sound like shit. and he did, until he got good
>>
>>73665637
Songwriting.
>>
>>73666058
Wtf is buttrock
>>
>>73665972
creating more bad music?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.