[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /mu/ so obsessed with contemporary western commercial music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Vanderslice.jpg (23KB, 335x303px) Image search: [Google]
Vanderslice.jpg
23KB, 335x303px
Why is /mu/ so obsessed with contemporary western commercial music?
>>
Cost analysis
>>
because plebs
>>
>>73664008
can you sauce any other types of music or something? would love to explore desu
>>
>>73664561
Well, the closest thing to start with would be art music. You could try to hit up /classical/ for example, but I think it's better to read up on it first to understand the context and its place in history.

You could also go for contemporary art music, like field recordings. Chris Watson and Jana Winderen are both good entry points here.

There's also the route of listening to folk recordings or """"""""""""world music""""""""""""". Honestly it's hard to recommend a good starting point here as well, as my listening experiences with it are mostly just me deciding to listen to some folk on a whim. Indian and african folk music have been the most influential in the past century, so maybe there?

There's also the route of just listening to modern experimental music. Chris Cutler's Probes is an interesting podcast on the history and development of those fields.
>>
>>73664008
Because they live in the contemporary west, which is largely capitalist or mixed.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>73664740
I was told this board was patrish.
>>
hey it's John Vanderslice
huh

>>73664767
you were lied to
desu /mu is a good starter if you're just getting into music and want to get a general sampler of genre's or you wanna shit post memes

honestly there are much better niche genre facebook grps and subreddits where accountability leads to better discussion

just my 2 cents
>>
Cause music is too plentiful and life is too short for people to not listen to music for enjoyment.
>>
>>73664798
>desu /mu is a good starter if you're just getting into music

This, then after the first 3 months

>you wanna shit post memes
>>
>>73664811
>life is too short

Its the longest thing you'll ever do.
>>
>>73664811
>implying music isn't enjoyable outside of western contemporary,
>implying broadening your horizons isn't enjoyable
>implying enjoyment is a substitute for the deep appreciation you build for the artform.
>implying you can't enjoy and appreciate things at the same time
>implying that listening to the aforemantioned stuff makes you unable to listen to western contemporary.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.