[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which one has influenced your taste more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 8

which one has influenced your taste more?
>>
cock
>>
nico nico nii
>>
ive only listened to darkside really. dont worry i can explain myself.
>>
>>73659153
DSOTM.
I don't think I'll ever hate that album.
>>
>>73659153
King Crimson
>>
OKC
>>
Dark Side of the Moon is generally the starting point -- it's how most find both OK Computer and In the Court of the Crimson King.

Personally, I would say Dark Side of the Moon is more of an influence.
>>
OKC, and honestly my favorite of them. But it and TVU are both 10/10's
>>
OK Computer because i was exposed to it since i was very young cuz my dad loved to play that shit
>>
Either Dark Side or Court of the Crimson King. I'll say Dark Side but it's really a vote for Wish You Were Here.
>>
my grandpa gave me ITCotCK when i was 11 so that one
>>
>>73659153
Probably TVU&N which is just a really great set of rock songs and that's something I can definitely appreciate, but ITCOTCK is just so much more interesting and bold to me, so I'd said that probably had more influence over me, in terms of music taste.
>>
>>73659153
I first heard DSOTM when I was ten years old and listened to it regularly for my entire adolescence. So probably DSOTM.
>>
TVU&N showed me the world of truly powerful experimental popular music

The rest of those albums are child's play in comparison
>>
>>73659366
That probably is a leftover from me having the first sentence be about KC.
>>
File: 1493542915712.png (321KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1493542915712.png
321KB, 431x450px
>>73659377
>ok computer
>child's play
>>
>>73659401
Completely. It's a pop album.
>>
>>73659153

I don't like any of those albums
>>
>>73659401
The very next album they did make it look like child's play too.
>>
>>73659153
Definitely Dark Side and VU, but that's only because I heard them so young. My Dad is a music nerd, so I heard both of those albums all throughout my childhood. He had some weird hangup about King Krimson (along with Led Zeppelin for whatever reason, even though he owns In the Court of the Crimson King).

My taste has always gravitated towards the strange, slow, and psychedelic simultaneously with the loud, angry, and twisted. Sort of like a combination of my Dad's music with my Moms influence of punk rock ala the Ramones, Clash, and Misfits. I have strange nerdy parents.
>>
OKC>Dark Side of the Moon>In the Court of the Crimson King>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Velvet Underground
>>
>>73659425
>Exit Music, Fitter Happier, and Climbing Up the Walls are pop songs
yeah, ok
>>
>>73659535
Art pop.
>>
>>73659548
its art rock
>>
>>73659153

Banano fo sho
>>
I don't like most of TVU&N but I love White Light/White Heat and a lot of bands they influenced.

ITCOTCK is my favorite of those, but I don't like most King Crimson albums or a lot of prog in general.
>>
>>73659535
He's not wrong. Most of the songs on OK Computer follow basic pop-rock song structure (with a little bit of variation sprinkled it).

The thing about Radiohead is that they are similar to the Beatles in that they blend pop music with avant garde. This doesn't mean they aren't one of the most important bands out there, but they aren't purely experimental.
>>
Damnit, this is difficult, these albums never really were impactful in defining my taste. I think it probably is Dark Side of the Moon as the entry gate to prog alongside Fragile, and I quite enjoy prog rock, but the albums which have influenced me are Revolver and Quadrophenia, at best some post-punk influence from my parents but they weren't nearly into music as I am, I don't think any of them has more than 10 albums saved somewhere. Dad had some Talking Heads and The Smiths, which is nice. Also New Order. Kinda ended up being funny in that I influenced them rather than the other way around, they got into The Beatles because of me.

I think I ended up on a weird situation where my own taste at its earliest stages, when I first started listening to music, was definitely influenced more by myself than my parents.
>>
OK Computer because I got to it first in middle school. Fitter Happier made me really creeped out and it coincided with a class where I read Brave New World so I got really freaked out by the idea of governments and authority and have probably never fully recovered.
>>
Probably something like:

ITCOTCK = OKC >> DSOTM >>>>>> VU&N

My favorite genre atm is art pop, but I love anything with wacky time signatures and complex structures too. VU&N never clicked with me. I dislike it and most music that sounds like it.
>>
>>73659776
ok, but its not pop. its art rock/alternative ROCK
>>
Velvet Underground and Nico or Dark Side of the Moon since Lou Reed was always a personal icon to me and Pink Floyd is the first band you hear about apart from the Betales.

Never really got into TVFace apart from Child B and some songs off Praises to the Robber and In Light Reflected off a Prism

also Egyptian Architecture Musical Piece
>>
OKC > Velvet Underground > ITCOTCK

All excellent albums. Never did listen to Dark Side, or any Floyd record for that matter.
>>
>>73660121
Listen to Wish You Were Here ASAP
>>
>>73659153
i didn't listen to any of these albums until i was already 8-9 years set into my general taste in music. my music taste came from and loosly revolves around the soundtracks to THPS4, underground, and guitar hero 3. all of which i play countless hours on
>>
>>73659957
rock is pop

everything except classical and traditional folk is pop
>>
>>73659153
None of them in the slightest.
>>
OKC = DSOTM > ITCOTCK > TVU
>>
okc was one of my starting points so this.
>>
King Crimson is one of my favourite bands to this day, so ItCotCK it is for me
>>
Easily King Crimson. Not particularly ItCotCK itself; although its own influence on prog rock as a whole is undeniable. Personally, ItCotCK is too prototypical to have influenced me to the degree that later KC albums have.
Throughout its numerous incarnations, this band has been able to incorporate several genres and styles of music and put it all into a highly sophisticated yet powerful package.
As a band, King Crimson is just so much more influential as the other three have not reinvented themselves to such an extent; if at all.
>>
OKC
>>
>>73659153
OK Computer probably the most, it was the first of those I listened to and helped me branch out of the mainstream music.

Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree got me into progressive rock which has been my favorite genre.

I haven't listened to the other 2 completely until a year ago.
>>
Probably TVU&N, since I lean towards the noisier side of music. Radiohead were the turning point in music for me though, listening to the radiohead best of in 2012 made me love music
>>
>>73661880
Pink Floyd is a great gateway to prog but if you get really deep into prog, you'll eventually realize that Pink Floyd is no where near as 'progressive' as many other prog bands.
>>
File: cover.jpg (45KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
45KB, 600x590px
this one
>>
>>73661928
I know, but they are still my favorite because of Gilmour and his guitar playing
>>
>>73662049
I can respect that
>>
>>73659273
I was like 13 when i discover Radiohead with The Bends (my dad had from it til In Raibows ripped in a DVD) and when i heard OkC it all changed, Climbing up the walls still gives me chills.
>>
I guess TVU&N. I got into all four of them around the same time.
>>
I guess The Velvet Underground & Nico, I've explored more of the late 60s/early 70s art rock/glam rock scene than I have the progressive side of the art rock scene of the same time and I've never really been into alt-rock.

Dylan's electric trilogy influenced my taste more than all three of them combined, though I like all of these albums.
>>
>>73659153
the banana

to this day I can't understand why Radiohead and especially OKPC are held to such high regards

DSotM and ItCotCK are cool but not really a big influence on my tastes.
>>
>>73663094
Well fuck its shitty opinions time.

-The banana is just like indie rock (which doesn't resonate with me at all), and the only interesting thing is that its made in the 60s.

-OKPC are interesting but not great by any means

-DSotM is objectively perfect as far as pop music is concerned. Its still pop music though

-and ItCotCK is music history in the making yet underwhelming compared to later KC albums
>>
King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Radiohead are straight overrated as fuck
>>
>>73659153
VU&N
>>
>>73663206
Yet TVU&N is the worst album there
>>
>>73663219
'no'
>>
>>73659153
None, but if I had to choose then TVU
>>
Ok Computer has influenced my taste more but DSOTM is my favorite album.
>>
>>73659548
art rock
>>
>>73659153
ITCOTCK
Prog was the gateway to expand my taste.
>>
>>73659153
OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon I have only listened to a handful of times, but they aren't the sorts of things I generally like, or will ever like.

The Velvet Underground are one of my top bands, but I'd say I prefer other releases over that one.

King Crimson I don't care for. Listened to it once. Probably should again really.
>>
>>73663206
King Crimson seems overrated at first but many haven't actually listened to their post Discipline albums or even Discipline itself. For that matter, many haven't listened to Lizard and Islands either
>>
>>73660721
but classic and folk were pop too
>>
Honestly I think I listened to them all so late in the game that none of them did.

If I had to pick one tho, I have to say either Court of TVU&N
>>
>>73662482
>Dylan's electric trilogy influenced my taste more than all three of them combined
Yeah me too.

Also if Pet Sounds was up here I'd pick that one.
>>
None of them. All 4 are for faggots. Shit taste anon.
>>
>IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
File: CastleFace28_medium.jpg (20KB, 214x240px) Image search: [Google]
CastleFace28_medium.jpg
20KB, 214x240px
>>73659153
King and floyd easily, almost only listen to alt/psych/prog rocks now
>>
>>73663482
epic bate
>>
>>73663714
>rock
>good
k y s
>>
>>73659191
why havent you heard the rest
>>
>>73663187
banana album isnt indie rock its lo fi proto punk
it invented the essence of indie rock but isn't at all like what indie rock became
>>
>>73663878
Its just fucking rock jfc

you lot are even worse than bleeptards, holy shit
>>
>>73663886
simplifying genres doesnt make you smart
banana album wrote the rule book for all rock proceeding it to follow it
other than indie rock it also set the foundation for punk, twee pop, experimental rock, noise rock e.t.c
>>
>>73663929
Its just fucking rock jfc

you lot are even worse than bleeptards, holy shit
>>
>>73659492
No its the complete opposite way around
>>
>>73659153
TVU, because it influenced the bands that most influenced me.
>>
>>73663934
>Its just fucking rock jfc
Not an argument dude
>>
>>73663929
Those genres all sorta suck.
Punk only got good after first wave.
>>
>>73663807
kys bleepfag
>>
probably ok computer just because as a highschooler it was my gateway into all of the other albums you posted.
>>
>>73659153
The real question is, what the fuck is Pseudo-intellectual Floyd doing with these bands?
>>
>>73664141
is dsotm pseudo-intellectual, the albums obvious inspiration is quite real
>>
>>73664141
Pink Floyd is about the same pseud level as Radiohead what the fuck are you smoking.
>>
>>73663929
Los Saicos set the foundation to punk though
>>
>>73664215
I mean, you are probably correct, but I have actually met people who are not complete dipshits and like them, unlike with Pink Floyd faggots, 90% of all Floyd fans I've met are leftist LGBT atheist redditors with a quote about being intelligent on their Facebook cover. I can't say the same about Radiohead fans, but you just may be right.
>>
>>73659153
king crimson probs, i prefered the wall, ok computer is just an album really and dandys im yet to listen to
>>
File: commit sudoku.jpg (8KB, 278x259px) Image search: [Google]
commit sudoku.jpg
8KB, 278x259px
>>73660721
>>
>>73664249
I can see your point, but I still think that in regards of artistic merit they're both at about the same level. They're clearly influential, fairly accessible and popular. I honestly don't interact with either of the fanbases, so I'll just have to take your word for it.
>>
Dark Side showed me that albums could be more than just a collection of standalone songs, it was and still is a great listening experience all the way through
>>
velvet underground and nico... i never got into the others
>>
>>73664249
>>73664299
QED, non-dipshit Floyd fan.
>>
>>73659153
Dark Side of these four, but it didnt influence my tastes heavily. I like all four of these though.
>>
>>73664249
And to add to the fire, reading this thread the Radiohead people are far, far more obnoxious and wrong than the Floydposters.
>>
>>73664299
why would pink floyd show you that, people have been writing concept works in music since it existed, besides, even then, rock operas and concept albums existed.
>>
>>73664334
because it's popular and super well known so he was probably exposed to it before other examples
>>
>>73664249
>90% of all Floyd fans I've met are leftist LGBT atheist redditors with a quote about being intelligent on their Facebook cover. I
cool? how does that relate to the music though? pf were sort of anti establishment but that only relates to 70s 80s britain
>>
>>73664249
that's because dark side of the moon has had 40 years to fester a massive normie following literally passed down generations. i promise you once ok computer turns 40 you'll see all sorts of shirts and tweens proclaiming its the greatest musical achievement ever conceived by mankind. i mean we're basically already there if you've ever read an opinion on ok computer lol.

dsotm is the epitome of an entry level album because first of all its a fantastic record, second of all it gives the every day man the complete album listening experience with memorable moments out the ass so its perfect for new music listeners who are just dipping their toes in the water so to speak. i mean the only pretension i see when it comes to DSOTM are the people who brush it off because their embarrassed some 13 year old heard it for the first time
>>
>>73664364
Good opinion. Take off that trip tho.
>>
>>73664364
I really really want to connect with that album, but whenever I talk to someone about it they tell me about how all rock and roll and punk is shit compared to Prog Floyd and that they are the only band that matters, I would put it in a top 40 greatest 60s/70s rock list, but I would think twice between putting Pink Floyd above Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Yes, Camel, Stooges, or whatever other band that was probably more important
>>
File: 1492204644772.png (93KB, 349x376px) Image search: [Google]
1492204644772.png
93KB, 349x376px
>>73664389
>giving a shit about the band's fanbase
>>
>>73664389
>>73664364
In all honesty he did correctly put Camel above Pink Floyd. Despite being heavily influenced by Pink Floyd during their classic era, Camel's music as a whole is better in every way.
>>
>>73664426
>>73664402
Meant to reply to this, my bad.
>>
>>73664402
It's not just about the fanbise, it's about the mentality by which people approach the album. Before anyone says that this is the best album ever, they AT LEAST need to consider what all the other bands were bringing into the scene at the time. Look at Black Sabbath for another example, if you are going to say what your favorite 70s rock album is, AT LEAST consider their contribution.
>>
>>73664452
I mean, I agree, it's not really worth discussing music with people who say that Floyd is some sort of GOAT act. On the other hand I'd say the same thing about Radiohead. All of this doesn't mean that the album should be discarded as trash. I think >>73664364 and >>73664299 summarize perectly why it's worth your time.
>>73664426
I'm not versed enough or interested in prog to refute this. I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't consider Yes or the Stooges better or more influential than Floyd though.
>>
>>73664511
I agree, I never meant to discard this album as a complete pile of shit, I actually like it.
>>
>>73664511
Oh no no, you're absolutely right as far as influence is concerned, even alternative bands want to be Pink Floyd (and of course, I mentioned that Camel did too while the two bands coexisted in their respective primes.

As for better, I'm not well versed enough in the Stooges but lets just say that Camel is a better prog band and Pink Floyd is a better pop/rock band while Yes is like one of the best rock bands in the history of mankind.
>>
>>73664375
desu i mostly post anonymously (i actually responded to the OP anonymously) because its just so much easier and the proper way to experience 4chan but i've reached a stage where i needed to experience the tripfag life. i've decided to only use it if i actually have something to say because im an attention whore, but not that big of a whore. im still kind of a massive pussy about it because /mu/ is by far the most welcoming of the namefags.

>>73664389
if /mu/ teaches you anything its that everyone has an opinion and more people actually hate your favorite records than enjoy it. once you realize and accept that you'll achieve true freedom down the path of true patricianship
>>
>>73664662
Honestly I'm in the same boat as you, but ettiquete demands that I tell you to kill yourself. Nothing personal.
>>
>>73664662
tripping aint a good road man
>>
>>73659153
ITCOTCK and dark side equally for me.
I had both of them on an MP3 player that my parents gave me when I was like 8 or 9
>>
>>73659153
dsotm, then itcotck, then radiohead....velvet underground didn't really make an impact on me
>>
>>73659153
OKC
>>
>>73659153
um. None. Tbqh i havent heard any of those more than a 1/8 way through
>>
>>73659153
ITCOTKC
I can't really get the appeal of the other three.
>>
>>73665373
>only gets the jojo album
hhh
>>
>>73659153
literally none of them. juvenile le rock and roll bullshit
>>
TVU
>>
I can safely say that OKC and DSOTM was the gateway to other great music for a lot of people coming from normie pop trash. At its time, DSOTM changed the landscape or rock, and in 97, OKC flipped mainstream rock on its head. You can still see countless bands trying to rip off their sound, and a lot of artists whose entire career is trying to recreate Let Down.
>>
>>73659153
itcock from pleb to patrician
>>
>>73659153
Pink Floyd was one of my first entry-level bands that really got me into music. All of those albums are great tho
>>
DSOTM
>>
>>73659153
Ok Computer
>>
I'll listen to VU&N once or twice a year. I can't remember the last time I cared enough to sit down and listen to any of the others.

That said, VU&N is at best an 8/10 for me, and I strongly prefer WL/WH and Marble Index/Desertshore.
>>
>>73663839
ok computer is on my list of stuff to listen to soon, i didnt get into radiohead at all until recently and then only thing ive listened to is kid a, i like it a lot. ive heard the banana album once or twice and just didnt find it that interesting, would rather listen to a good interstellar overdrive live bootleg or a grateful dead concert from that time period if im looking for psych. incotkc i listened to a few tracks when i was like 14 or 15 and loved it, then i saw king crimson live and was just not that impressed (tony levin on chapman stick wasnt fun). frankly i should probably revisit both VU and ITCOTCK but i dont think it would do anything for me cause my taste have changed so much, if i had like really really heard these when i was in like 8th grade then itd probably fuck my shit up but now i listen to enough avant garde and shit like that they would just sound kinda tame to me.
>>
>>73666835
TVU&N isn't psych, stop this meme
>>
>>73666835
> i didnt get into radiohead at all until recently
>would rather listen to a good interstellar overdrive live bootleg or a grateful dead concert from that time period if im looking for psych
>i listen to enough avant garde and shit like that they would just sound kinda tame to me.
You're some combination of a pleb and a faggot. I feel like this is a bait post but it's really convincing.
>>
probably OK Computer, or TVU&N.
I like Red way more than Court, and I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd (I like their early albums more)
>>
File: 054.png (17KB, 180x235px) Image search: [Google]
054.png
17KB, 180x235px
>>73666835
>>
>>73659153
ok computer definitely, they influence me on music I currently listen to and music i produce
>>
Probably OK Computer since it was the first one I really got into and perfectly fuses alt rock, prog rock, electronic, art music. DSotM just seems mediocre to me as do Pink Floyd is general. Other two are good but I didn't appreciate them until later.
>>
>>73659153
dark side of the moon
>>
>>73659153
The banana one was the first ever patrician tier album I listened too.
>>
File: hoooooooooo.jpg (24KB, 522x459px) Image search: [Google]
hoooooooooo.jpg
24KB, 522x459px
>>73667563
eh, not bait unfortunately. to give you some perspective though this is what ive been listening to a lot of these days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QiVRmvkwYM&list=PLLnttaLKz2EfPyC1TvXwwtQXPdm2wdPbh&index=3
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.