[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a great album great?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 13-wojak_00.w1200.h630.jpg (63KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
13-wojak_00.w1200.h630.jpg
63KB, 1200x630px
What makes a great album great?
>>
>>73655969
as with any art the lie of it all has to hold up
>>
>>73655986
What do you mean? What is the lie?
>>
>>73656017
art
>>
It has to be absent of corporate influence
>>
>>73655986
you can't lie and hold up the bible, as they say.
>>
when it bangs
>>
File: tumblr_mrjp55V7aC1rvn2ylo1_500.gif (999KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrjp55V7aC1rvn2ylo1_500.gif
999KB, 450x338px
>>73656044
yeah because the bible is the truth
>>
A good album is if the majority of the tracks are to the listeners tastes

And ideally, the ordering of the tracks should compliment each other and put them into the context of the album as a whole.

A great album is one that is all the above but has also managed to balance critical and commercial success with musical integrity.
>>
>>73656044
lol
>tfw i've punched people in their face without warning for telling jokes before
>>
personally, my favorite albums all are very good in the musically technically way, have a lot of aggression, or are experimenting with the music in some way, exception being Clutch
>>
>>73656121
Best answer so far.
>>
>>73656134
ok i take it back!
>>
In most cases (for me at least), it's not something where you can point to a few particular factors, and say that because those factors are good I think the album is good. For me personally, I see albums as one whole unit rather than a whole bunch of different aspects, and the main criteria I use really is just how much it resonates with me.
>>
>>73656109
your flagrant atheism has gotten the best of you, redditfag. the saying only pertains to a moral contradiction; facts and truth have nothing to do with it. and don't forget, lying ≠ the telling of falsehoods.
>>
>>73656594
In the same vein, I don't see albums as just an amalgamation of tracks, and I don't just set a hard limit of liking x/the total tracks or just liking the majority necessarily means I have to like an album. Although, if I do, that will more than likely be the case, anyway.
>>
>>73656624
english please you convoluted god idiot
>>
>>73656703
>flagrant
>falsehood?
how young are you?
>>
>>73656835
what a fuckin explanation that was
thanks for that clarity
well said

>dick
>>
-Consistently solid songwriting throughout the album.
-Diverse enough songs to keep someone interested, but consistent enough for the songs to be a "part" of the entire album.
-Innovative in some way (whether stylistically or the way it's marketed or something like that).
>>
>>73656835
Did you shit yourself or what?
>>
>>73656868
>your flagrant atheism has gotten the best of you, redditfag.
this is me taking note of your immediate jump to an anti-Christian response despite having no good reason for it, and subsequently assuming that you're a redditor.
>the saying only pertains to a moral contradiction
now i'm explaining why your post is flawed. someone who would "lie and hold up the bible", is, in other words, implying their adherence to a set of moral values (in holding up a bible) while also contradicting one of those values (in lying). you, however, seem to think that "truth" comes into play, that the bible is supposed to represent the truth, so one could not possibly lie while speaking of biblical scriptures. well, not only is this a misinterpretation, it is also fallacious in its reasoning, as my next sentence,
>and don't forget, lying ≠ the telling of falsehoods.
pretty clearly states, but i'll elaborate on it anyway, since you insisted. a lie is not synonymous with a falsehood, or something that is untrue. you might believe, for example, that Radiohead is the best band of all time, when it is actually the case that they are not. then, let's say someone asks you if Radiohead is the best band of all time, and you deny it, not wanting to be judged for thinking so. well, you have just told a lie (in misrepresenting your belief) while also stating a truth (that Radiohead is not the best band in the world).

are you happy now?
>>
Good melodies/hooks

Good sense of zeitgeist

The artist has an actual raison d'etre for making this music instead of just a paycheck/radio play (like he has some sociopolitical message or personal issues he's using his music to vent)
>>
>>73657115
i don't know what you mean by that
>>
>>73656891
>Innovative
When will this meme end?
>>
>>73657195
seriously?
and you think I'm the stupid one?
when's your philosophy paper due?

>ALSO FUCK JESUS HE NEVER EXISTED BUT I'M HAPPY HE'S DEAD ANYWAY
>>
>>73657261
you've got nothing, then. i'm sorry i wasted my time on you.
>>
>>73657294
you believe in fairy tales and tell me I have nothing. good luck with harry potter. your level of discussion is laughable.
>>
>>73657232
Well you are obviously a pussy so... I was just asking... But you're getting spanked monkey.
>>
>>73657197
Think Nirvana, Metallica, Eminem, etc. They managed all three of those qualities, which was how they became legends--they had hooks, they had zeitgeist, and they had personal demons they were using their music to express. An example of bad music would Audioslave since even though they had hooks and melodies, you knew it was really just a way to keep themselves occupied and make some extra money, and the music had no real point to it. Or Mariah Carey, she may as well be a wind up toy that sings when you pull on the string.
>>
Keep in mind that even the stupidest lyrics can become an anthem for an entire generation of people if they're catchy enough.
>>
>>73657471
I SAID MAYBE
>>
>>73657471
I WANT TO GET AWAY
I WANT TO FLY AWAY
YEAH YEAH
>>
>>73657471
THAT LITTLE BITCH GOT HER THROAT FUCKED
>>
File: Ma.jpg (6KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
Ma.jpg
6KB, 311x162px
>>73657471
YOU CALL HER STEPHANIE?
>I CALL HER HEFANIEEEE
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.