[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ska

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Hello_rockview.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Hello_rockview.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
Why is ska so good?
Do you have any recommendations to something alike my taste?
pc is best album
>>
>ska
>good
>punk
>music
>>
>>73652921
Before people come in and call you a pleb, All My Best Friends Are Metalheads is a top nostalgia tune for me
>>
while I agree that ska is manly some punk with Trumpet sounds, I realy like the heavy guitar sounds and the groovy and playfull mood, also bands like Streetlight Manifesto are something diferent.
>>
>thinks ska only means third-wave ska
I would like the normies and redditors to leave.
>>
>>73652921
It's not OP, at all.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>73653026 see >>73653175
>>
>>73653175
kys, dude's being nice

also, is bob marley seen as ska? or regular reggae?
The only thing I know that is ska is aquabats witch is pretty shit
>>
>>73653539
> first wave ska
Toots and the Maytals

> second wave ska
The Specials

> third wave ska
Streetlight Manifesto

Bob Marley is mostly reggae. It's a shame ska has a reputation of being super high school music nowadays, in 70s England it was actually a relatively big political statement to be ska. Back then the whole two-tone, checkerboard fashion was a statement against segregation, now it's band kids in high school skanking in vans and fedoras.

But the actual origins of ska and Jamaican music are super deep and spread far into tons of different genres (reggae, dub, rocksteady, dancehall) and influenced so many others (dubstep, grime, downtempo, hip hop). But the whole genre has grown such a reputation that everytime someone hears a drop one it's DUDE WEED LMAO.
>>
File: R-3349754-1326865209.jpeg.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
R-3349754-1326865209.jpeg.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
you can start and end your search for good ska punk here

BTMI is great too but not really ska
>>
>>73653914
wow man that's really cool!
>But the actual origins of ska and Jamaican music are super deep and spread far into tons of different genres (reggae, dub, rocksteady, dancehall)

I thougt it was the other way aroud
>>
>>73654216
Yeah kinda. I'm not super up on the specifics of the genre's history, but basically within a 15 year period of when rock and doo wop entered Jamaica, a plethora of genres came out of the country, mixing western instruments and styles with the rhythm of traditional Jamaican folk/dance music.

>>73653997
This was the last ska punk album I got into, but desu I don't think it's a good starting point. The whole album is basically "I'm tired of making ska punk". I have heard it called ska emo or skamo before.

Also unless you like to steal 40s from your local liquor store and skate away back to your mom's house, avoid skacore bands like leftover crack.
>>
>>73654709
>>73653997
if I would introduce someone to ska is best to show them Third-wave and then the rest, it's much lighter.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.