[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one start producing music? Any tips, helpful books or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: fl.png (1MB, 1240x767px) Image search: [Google]
fl.png
1MB, 1240x767px
How does one start producing music? Any tips, helpful books or videos?
Do you use such software? What's your experience with it
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>73648976
find a production you like and try to reproduce
>>
>>73648976
I've been thinking a lot about making music, too anon, and I'm just so scared to start.
Also, I have a pretty great computer except the sound card isn't top tier. It was mainly built for gaming and I don't know if I should invest in a better sound card before I even start or if it'll get me by.
>>
ive been using fl studio for half a decade, i can teach you the basics via skype if you would like - its not too hard. learning hands on is much easier when producing

fair warning: you will be fucking terrible at first, i promise you. everyything you make will be horseshit for at LEAST six months, you have to be resilient
>>
>>73648976
just click on random buttons, make some shitty ridiculous track, listen to it ironically for 5 minutes while laughing, realize you're never going to make something good and then repeat after about 1 month
>>
>>73649429
You are very kind, but I'll stick to learning at my own pace right now, not sure if I'll stick with it.
I'm learning a lot each day, but it's still soooo complex.
What gave you the most trouble, or what helped you the most?
>>
>>73649466
what gave me the most trouble was simple stuff, making my mix sound good, finding half decent vsts, making my drums, learning to program drums that didnt sound corny, making good melodies, etc etc

im completley self taught, so i dont know what any good videos or manuals are, but i reccomend learning how to do basic mixes first, 99% of noobs dont learn and their songs sound like horseshit
>>
>>73649429
I've been using FL for a while successfully, even have a soundcloud for all the music I've made and everything but I kind of taught myself so I feel like I've learned many things wrong or not at all

is it worth it to try and start over or should I try and learn from what I already know?
>>
>>73649536
By mixing, you mean adjusting the volume of tracks and their EQs?
So like vocals have more midrange and stuff like that? I think that's quite hard to nail and even imagine what something should sound like, but I'll try
>>
Learning FL is the easiest shit.

Just experiment on your own, and see some video tutorials. It wont take you more than a day to learn the basics.
>>
>>73648976

>>73645818
>>73645818
>>73645818
>>
>>73650025
thanks, mane
>>
>>73649642
I think just keep learning. Maybe that would mean "starting over" and seeing if you can find new nooks and crannies.
>>
>>73649422
Don't buy a sound card.
I'm producing on a $300 laptop and it's fine for a beginner (which I'm not but can't afford anything else) or amateur.
The only downside is a bit ov very low white noise that's barely noticeable with earbuds.

Spend your money on good monitoring headphones, then if you get serious get an external USB interface like the Scarlett 2i2 to plug your headphones and monitors in.

Getting an internal sound card for music production (outside of rare high end products that you shouldn't waste money on at this stage) is a a waste because it's goung to be rendered useless by the interface you're gonna get anyway.

Also, never think "I'm just waiting for X before starting Y" because that mentality will always stall you and keep you from doing what you need to do.

I started producing on my father's work laptop when he didn't use it at night, and only had some cheap cellphone earbuds with one earbud cut off.
I couldn't hear my music properly so I focused on aspects that don't require it (such as music theory, arrangement, etc) but also did my best to improve on the other stuff with what I had.

Having good gear is good, but is not necessary.
Would you rather listen to a good song produced on shitty equipment or a shitty song produced on good equipment?
>>
>>73651356
>>Also, never think "I'm just waiting for X before starting Y" because that mentality will always stall you and keep you from doing what you need to do.
So much this, true in many aspects of life
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.