[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

don't enjoy music as much as i used to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1497832917333.gif (51KB, 500x376px)
1497832917333.gif
51KB, 500x376px
anyone know the fix for this?

i mean, when i listen to music, it's good, I like it and all but it's about a 6/10 on how good it makes me feel (regardless of genre or quality of the music). this is weird to me because i see a lot of people say they reach like spiritual enlightenment or music "cures" their depression and it's their "drug" and shit, like they're receiving 10/10 enjoyment out of music on it's own

should i take a break from music or is my brain just permanently fucked up
>>
You should take a break and listen to your favourite albums from your favourite genre before you came to /mu/.
>>
>>73644724
Going against everything and giving you the benefit of the doubt and a sage too, which genres of music have you been listening to?
>>
get a bag of grass
>>
>>73644724
>reach like spiritual enlightenment
do drugs
>>
>>73644724
Maybe you're just overly nostalgic on how you used to listen to music for the "feels"
We all do don't worry, but even back then it was not as good as you think it was
Just don't focus too much on the past, it doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>73644724
listen to new music, try a genre you've never tried before
>>
You've probably been using music as a for if escapism for too long and need to socialize or some shit. Get out the house
>>
>>73644761
genre doesn't really matter. it's not like "oh well of course you'd get burnt out on x"

OP, I'm right there with you. take a break from music except from your favorites like the first anon said, and push yourself to read more, and exercise too if that's where your heads at.

it's not permanent, I promise. but keep in mind that this may also be you growing as a person, and unless you're a successful musician who is making money off of one style, that's nothing to be afraid of.
>>
Given that OP hasn't replied to anyone by now, it's clear that this is just another one of those threads. Just let it die, since we don't have mods.
>>
>>73644724
don't worry anon, I've been there. Just keep in mind: Nostalgia makes everything feel amazing again. Stop for a while, listen to that album that made you feel as if music was your thing.
Don't worry, just wait for a while, it always comes back, if it really worked for you at some point.
>>
>>73644830
oh yeah, and smoke some weed if you don't smoke on the reg

don't fuck w LSD or shrooms though unless you've got some good friends to be there with you. if you want to solve one particular problem, tripping is almost never the answer.
>>
>>73644920
nah i smoked weed everyday until like a few months ago. it's cool and all but i see sober people get more fulfillment out of music than me on drugs, part of the reason why i feel kind of shitty about it. i'd like to enjoy and create music sober

>>73644903
lol

>>73644830
i guess part of it is me basing a lot of my self esteem off being a musician, practicing and making shit all day, and then all of a sudden everything stops being enjoyable to me

>>73644808
yes
>>
>>73644724
Stop jerking off so much. Limit it to 3 times a week.
>>
>>73644724
The human brain is prone to getting used to things. When you get used to something, it's familiar, predictable, and loses its novelty/excitement. Chances are you've seen and heard everything you want to musically, so you are no longer excited by it.
>>
I was recently there though I just felt that way about my favorite genre (shoegaze). I found that listening to different stuff was a lot better. Not sure if this helps.
>>
>>73644962
yeah that's why i said "if you dont smoke," good on you for lightening up.

also, you being a musician makes things different. i can completely relate. this has actually been my entire year, basically, and a few of my friends are going through the same thing too. it's easy to get burnt out on something you do every day and put all your energy into, but at the same time you do need to keep practicing or you'll lose your edge. if you're like me, you get caught up in high concepts and then Brian Wilson your way into forgetting what you like about yourself and your music and your instrument, and then get struck by a terrifying and alien lack of confidence, which seems inescapable.

What I did is take a clean break from what i've spent all spring working on for something new, and while i'm still struggling sometimes, it's a step in the right direction for sure. i'm not pushing myself as hard and I'm letting things come naturally. I'm listening to podcasts like Song Exploder and looking up interviews on the craft so i don't go soft during the downtime. i'm gonna return to the big project when i'm ready.

i also got off that infinite news cycle, because shit's dark right now and even the hardiest of individuals will eventually get worn down by 100% exposure.

i'm reading more like i said and trying to meditate more.

i finally bought the new Zelda and I'm watching twin peaks and game of thrones because getting absorbed in a world is one of the most reassuring feelings there is, at least for me.

Lastly, I'm taking active interest in the balance of alone time and time with friends.

here's the most important thing: the bigger the burnout, the longer you need to recover. the balance of little breaks during the day-to-day grind is what you and I both need to get better at, but for now, we both burnt ourselves bad on our chosen medium, so be patient and don't get discouraged.

as an aside, who are some of your favorite artists, and what kind of musician are you?
>>
>>73644724
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>73644724
OP I've been dealing with this too recently. I realized that this feeling (at least for me) comes from disillusionment. Services like Spotify, while great for access to music, make it really easy to view music as disposable and pointless.

I've realized that a lot of enjoying music for me hinges on whether it feels "important". And so I've also realized that enjoyment isn't simply how the music sounds, but understanding it in a broader context and giving it some meaning. And so recently I've tried to listen and care more about the context and significance of the music and I've found it actually helps a lot. Maybe it won't be the same for you but just thought I'd throw it out there.
>>
Go see a live show. You will literally feel the music and be unable to zone out.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.