[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I dont understand Dream Pop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: mak.png (1MB, 960x739px) Image search: [Google]
mak.png
1MB, 960x739px
If Dream Pop eschews everything that makes pop music pop music, why does it have 'Pop' in its name?
>>
>>73643271
because it doesnt eschew everything that makes pop music, pop music
>>
>>73643284
It definitely isn't accessible which I think is the most important aspect of pop music.
>>
>>73643383
Wrong
>>
>>73643383
that's incorrect
>>
>>73643383
look it's one thing to claim that shit like Radiohead isn't accessible despite its massive popularity, because it's true that their music is kind of awkward and weird.

But you have to be seriously retarded to claim that lullabies aren't accessible. Because that's what dream-pop is, essentially. A bunch of fucking lullabies. It doesn't get more accessible than songs even a toddler is supposed to connect with.
>>
>>73643389
Dream pop is like even less popular than classic rock. That is pretty fucking inaccessible for something that's supposed to be pop music.
>>
>>73643416
classic rock is massive you retard
>>
>>73643415
Dream pop is supposed to resemble lullabies?

Holy shit. I am awoken. I think I'm starting to understand.
>>
>>73643416
It's still really accessible tho
>>
>>73643422
Not where I live (Australia)
>>
>>73643416
Classic rock isn't inaccessible at all you fucking moron, it definitely doesn't cater to the same audience as dream pop, and dream pop aesthetics are huge in mainstream indie (reverb vocals, chill aesthetic with reverb).
>>
>>73643427
of course, why do you think it's called "dream" pop?
>>
>>73643416
accessibility isn't measured by popularity. popularity relates more to how well something is marketed and sold

dream pop is, literally, just pop with more of a focus on atmosphere
>>
>>73643416
popular =/= accessible.

The only reason dream pop isn't more popular is because it isn't advertised as much.

also
>even less popular than *massively popular genre*
>>
Dream pop consists of airy atmospheres, typical ABAB radio pop structures, and highly melodic/catchy melodies/harmonies. It's easy to digest thus accessible regardless of whether normies think the surface aesthetic of it is odd or not.
>>
>>73643551
normies think entirely in hazy surface notions on what the music they're listening to sounds like
>>
File: pu78sdvlnb6z.jpg (61KB, 728x728px) Image search: [Google]
pu78sdvlnb6z.jpg
61KB, 728x728px
>>73643271

Dream pop isn't exactly the most accurate label, don't read too much into it.
>>
>>73643271
Shoegaze and noise pop would be the terms you're looking for. It's pop, ABAB song structures at its core, but far from being chart topping material.
>>
>>73644728
Thanks, this is definitely the impression I got from a lot of it.
>>
>>73643271
its just a name, dont think about it too much
>>
The term pop has far more to do with song structure and reliance on melody than the genre itself being popular.
Dreampop is one of the few genres that hits the nail on the head with its name, they way the vocals are obfuscated and the particular progressions used are supposed to invoke a nostalgia for something you either haven't experienced or barely remember the experience, almost "dreamlike".
Shoegaze is a little different but similar, and they both have a lot of crossover.
>>
There's pop, and then there's pop.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.