[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the difference between avant garde and experimental?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1488953063016.jpg (59KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1488953063016.jpg
59KB, 400x400px
whats the difference between avant garde and experimental?
>>
Avante-garde means that it is at the "forefront" thus there's an implication that this is the "right direction" for that style to be heading in and it is "the future" thus its meaning requires the context of the point of time in which it came out. "Experimental" music is doing odd new things in odd new ways but there's no sense that it is the "correct way" or anything
>>
>>73633876
I avant-garde a clue
>>
Avant-garde: Trying to extract what is going to be hip musically in the future instead of conforming to what is selling now. (ex: An artist before his time.)

Experimental: Dissecting musical trends and replacing it with new and exciting elements. This can go to a point where it is unrecognizable from any popular trend. (ex: Noise)

I have no fucking clue what I'm saying btw
>>
File: 1478756032718.gif (320KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1478756032718.gif
320KB, 300x169px
>>73633963
>>
>>73633977
wow
>>
>>73633876
Avant-garde isn't always experimental and experimental isn't always avant-garde.
>>
>>73634002
So does that mean Clouddead 2001 can be considered Avant-garde?
>>
>>73633977
what's the clue?
>>
Experimental: it's unconventional for it's field. For example, a pop artist does something most pop artists don't do. It's all based on context, too

Avant-garde: pushes the meaning of a new idea. Truly innovating and out of the norm. It's usually reject at first.
>>
>>73634027
I don't think their intent was to push a new genre forward. I see them as some kind of pioneers. If you want good examples of what I think is avant-garde I'd say David Bowie or Odd Future (not even baiting).
>>
>>73633963
going by this, how the fuck do you label something as avant-garde around the time of it's release? and also how would you know where a genre is heading in the first place?
>>
>>73633876
Experimental seems like a descriptor more focused in the origin of whatever genre of music is being played, while avant-garde describes something that purposefully subverts genre and convention altogether, or at the least more so than something that can be called "experimental"
I would call King Crimson experimental rock and Captain Beefheart avant-garde rock
>>73633977
t. George Harrison
>>
File: 1320195647930.jpg (2KB, 120x117px) Image search: [Google]
1320195647930.jpg
2KB, 120x117px
>>73633977
>>
So can something be one without being the other?
>>
>>73635489
because music reviewers are really far up their own ass.

They actually think they have any relevant influence over music.
>>
>>73633977
reddit tear pun post, but still really fucking clever
>>
>>73635728
Get off of 4chan me
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.