[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we pleeeeaaaseeere get a Steely Dan thread going?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Aja_album_cover.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Aja_album_cover.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
Can we pleeeeaaaseeere get a Steely Dan thread going?
>>
>>73629343

IN THE CORNER
>>
Theyre one of my favorite white bands, I'm so glad my friend turned me onto them. That moment when I figured out they sampled Kanye was bliss.
What's your favorite album by them op?
>>
>>73629496

OF MY EYE
>>
>>73629343
>when I figured out they sampled Kanye

kys
>>
>>73629613
Are you saying you hate Kanye and dislike that anything of his was used in a Steely Dan song, or...?
>>
>>73629343
You guys should all check out Donald Fagen's solo albums

The Nightfly
Kamakiriad
>>
>>73629559
This is a strange and very specific type of trolling. It's like you're fishing for white resentment.
>>
where do i start w steely dan? theyre supposed to be like the ultimate hi fi band but ive just never listened to them
>>
>>73629580

I SAW YOU IN RUDY'S
>>
>>73629946
Can't Buy a Thrill then Aja. You'll probably have to listen to both albums a few times and maybe even watch a Steely Dan documentary/read their wikipedia page before it clicks.

When you feel like you get it, read "Attention Wes Anderson." If you get a kick out of that, you're ready to listen to the albums in chronological order.

Steely Dan is a mixture of facetious and serious that is hard to wrap your head around at first. It's kind of like how Norm Macdonald is really smart and well-read, but his stand-up routine is to act like he's a simpleton and tell what seem to be anti-jokes that are actually insightful and well-timed conventional standup material.
>>
>>73629964
YOU'RE MY KINDA GUY
>>
>>73629580
I SAW YOU IN HELL WID DOSE GAS DRAWWLS
>>
>>73629946
Just start at the beginning, all their albums are great and you can hear the progression they went through.
>>
>>73629343
Steely Dan fucking sucks
>>
>>73629985
>all this crap instead of just listening to their albums

Are you fucking autistic
>>
>come back home from 8 hour workshift
>home at last starts playing
>>
>>73629933
The Kanye thing was just a joke but I actually do like Steely Dan a lot and it was cool to hear the source of that one sample when listening to them for the first time
>>
>>73630031
What? You wanted me to write "just listen to their albums"? Really? That's helpful?

Here's the thing: there are so so so many people like
>>73630027
who just straight-up don't get Steely Dan. They take Steely Dan at face-value as cheesy yacht rock, which you should only do once you've gotten through at least the first two layers of irony. Sorry dude, there's layers of irony with Steely Dan. They pioneered that whole post-irony thing in music. It's tough to get cuz they hide it really well and play with your expectations. They're kinda' like Lou Reed that way. They do things intentionally to fuck with people.

And I'm not going to recommend that anyone dive into the discography head first until they at least get the gist of what's going on, lest they end up like this guy
>>73630027
thinking they're saying something about how slick, overproduced jazz pop is bad when they're really just showing:

1) their ass
2) that they don't know what's going on

It's a very real danger.
>>
>>73629559
My favorite album is a tossup between Katy Lied and Gaucho.
>>73629881
Ive listened to all of them. My favorite is probably Morph the Cat
>>
>>73629988
*you were very high
>>73630000
*I saw you in Rudy's, you were very high
>>
>>73629964

YOU WERE VERY HIGH
>>
IM NEVER GOING BACK TO MY OLD SCHOOL
>>
>>73630200
YOUUUUUU WERE HIGH
IT WAS A CRYIN' DISGRACE
>>
>>73630208
GUADALAJARA WONT DO
WELL I DID NOT THINK THE GIRL COULD BE SO CRUEL
AND IM NEVER GOIN' BACK TO MY OLD SCHOOL
>>
File: 1478224624632.jpg (114KB, 736x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1478224624632.jpg
114KB, 736x1175px
Something feels off when listening to earlier Steely Dan records (aka after Aja)
I think it's mostly due to the tracks length more than anything else
Like, the tracks have a really good time to progress when they last more than 6 minutes
A barrier at first but great touch after getting into it

Really cool shit
>>
>>73630321
Meant to say before Aja but wtvr
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.