[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a band be both shit and great?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Ween.jpg (16KB, 281x211px) Image search: [Google]
Ween.jpg
16KB, 281x211px
How can a band be both shit and great?
>>
what's with all the ween threads lately? also frick off their great only
>>
The shit: GWS, The Pod, Pure Guava

The great: everything else
>>
>>73615743
*they're
>>
>>73615743
>lately
do you know where you are?
>>
>>73615619
Cause they're only good when they're being sincere.
>>
>>73615762
i've seen 5 in the past 20 hours, just saying
>>
>>73615619
My Both Shit and Great List:

Gong
They Might Be Giants
Beat Happening
The Bay City Rollers
Gravy Train
Die Antwoord
The KLF

There's so many.
>How?
By not taking themselves too seriously,mostly, or taking themselves so seriously that's it's funny and creates dramatic pretension that's just fun to watch or having great songwriters but being a shit act... There's more than one way to skin a shitfox.
>>
>>73615876
Lincoln and Flood-era They Might Be Giants are unironically fully great though.
>>
>>73615908
Agree. The first music video I ever saw was "Ana ng" on Nick Rocks back in the 80s. I've loved them ever since.

But take a song like "Birdhouse in your Soul" (great) and a song like "Particle Man" (ehhhh) and I think you'll see my point.
>>
>>73615789
pleb detected
>>
>>73615876
What's shit about Gong?
>>
>>73616132
People have given Daevid Allen a hard time for being too whimsical and unfocused, especially in the British press.

I take exception to it because I like that light-heartedness but the criticism is that he was basically too much a hippie to ever fully ground his musical genius, although that's a distinctly pop-centric attitude. When you abandon pop, the rules change... but then again Allen did always keep one foot in pop so maybe there's some truth to it. Maybe people dislike him because he didn't feel the need to pick a side.

I guess I can see the point when I listen to songs like "5 and 20 Schoolgirls," but to me the Gnome trilogy *is* genius so whatever, journos.
>>
>>73615752
>Not liking early Ween
Pleb
>>
>>73615876
I can only think about Weezer as an example of a both shit and great band
>>
>>73616735
I considered them but ultimately I think Weezer get a little more credit than shit status would dictate.

It's like, I remember seeing them and thinking, "Ohhh, great. As if grunge infecting the mainstream didn't create an enormous crowd of shitheads, now indie rock is getting co-opted and processed for mass consumption." I was a bit of a shit and a hipster back then but I think the point remains.

Most of it is very by-the-numbers but they did, for a while, manage to give us some solid singles and didn't do anything terribly cringey that would put them on the shit list for me.
>>
>>73615752
wew
>>
File: Screenshot_20170627-224044.png (107KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170627-224044.png
107KB, 720x1280px
Give me your best 10 minute playlist
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.