[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Odd Future the cringiest /mu/ fad of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: large.jpg (36KB, 500x613px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
36KB, 500x613px
Was Odd Future the cringiest /mu/ fad of all time?
>>
did /mu/ fall for that shit? [spoiler]i know i did[/spoiler]
>>
ofwgkta was the shit tho
>>
Yes. Their comedy shit was just a garbage black jackass. Earl and Frank were the only ones who put out even slightly decent music.
>>
>>73606407
what about tyler, he put out good music too
>>
>>73606423

She, IFHY and 48 are his only decent songs. Considering how many cringe tier "i'm so wild guys haha i don't drink but i love doing a ~~~cum" songs he has, it's not worth it.
>>
>>73606423
no
>>
>>73606423
bastard and wolf were good, goblin was bad and cherry bomb was inconsistent.
>>
>>73606338
>Le cringe XDDD

I'm sure your tastes are much more "refined" now.

Say what you will, but they were a moment in hip hop. As a kid who was a hip hop fan at the time, you didn't have much options. You either were into YMCMB stuff, industry rap, or 50 cent type clone dinosaurs, or Kanye and Cudi, or some combination of them. I'm speaking of just contemporary rap at the time, those rappers are who you checked for.

I was pretty deep into rap even at that time, I liked POS (who released an excellent album in 2008), I liked the Cool Kids, I liked Pac Div, but those two groups weren't making waves like that. I was desperately looking for some new shit, a new take on hip hop. I even got into King Chip for a minute there (Who was then Chip Tha Ripper, before Chance came and ASAP Rocky'd him).

You could like all the former rappers or Gucci, who I thought was just a retarded industry rapper at the time who made songs with Mariah Cary, being ignorant of his catalog.

These artists were all good in their own right, but OF, along with Lil B, ASAP Rocky, Waka Flocka, and Danny Brown, made their breakthroughs in that 2010-2011 era and opened the floodgates for all types of different acts we see today.

Odd Future, while being "edgy", were patently youthful. It was a cool thing to be into. Earl was an excellent rapper, technically, even then. Tyler was and still is an awesome producer, and I like most of his beats. The aesthetic he curated is honestly really cool. It only started failing around Goblin, and since then he's been waxing and waning.

Hodgy and Left Brain made to create some very forward thinking hip hop. Left Brain was doing trap type beats with a psychedelic twist back in 2010/2011. Hodgy is like the Ghostface of Odd Future with way worse lines. He actually comes with a good rap at least somewhat frequently though. Syd is obviously talented, never got into her shit. Frank is obviously talented.
>>
>>73606407
>Earl and Frank are the only ones who put out good music

I said it in the Cherry Bomb thread. People who say this were just bandwagonners. If you liked Tyler's production on the early stuff you would like Wolf's high budget version, and Cherry Bomb's return to roots.

Earl and Frank only get praised because
>Critics told you to like it

>>73606485
Anyways, continuing my thought. They were obviously highly influential to the underground, where people are basically now combining their aesthetic and lyrical themes with trap beats.

Mike G and Domo released some decent amateur underground rap, but they were never talented or dedicated enough to break through.
>>
>>73606485

>i was into some pretty deep rap
>defending edgy rap

how's being 14?
>>
>>73606507
>I don't know how to read

I said I was pretty deep into rap, learn the difference.
>>
>>73606500

You can't just say people who enjoy two musicians over another are bandwagoners. If a majority of people (critics included) think the music of two are better than the music of the one, the music of the two are probably just better.
>>
>>73606507
Also, notice the lowercase.

This anon is SO COOL he doesn't capitalize. How fucking cool is that? He just doesn't have a care in the world. He doesn't even respect grammar!
>>
File: 4JkEcnu.jpg (29KB, 552x820px) Image search: [Google]
4JkEcnu.jpg
29KB, 552x820px
>>73606552
>>
>>73606445
this. bastard is probably the best thing he ever made
>>
>>73606561
honestly i like wolf more, i think tyler just learned way more about music theory and chord progressions and just got good and making beats. i love bastard but you can tell he didn't really know much about "music" and theory and was just making cool sounding beats. i think the coolest thing is that you can really hear what he was aiming for on bastard by listening to wolf, like wolf is the album he really wanted to make back then but just didnt know enough about music
>>
>>73606534
>>73606534
>If a majority of people think x it's probably true

Right, word to Celine Dion going diamond. The people like it so it must be good, huh?

If you're not an AC/DC fan, it's why they are one of the highest selling groups of all time, right?
>>
>>73606552
Take a Xanax, kid.

>>73606559
hahaha
>>
>>73606627
t. Mac Demarco level chillian

>haha just chill bro XD

>>73606559
The funny thing is I wasn't correcting your grammar, I was just point your motivation behind it. You're just 2cool4school aren't you?
>>
>>73606663
The funny thing is idgaf. :^)
>>
>>73606670
Ladies and gentleman, this man doesn't give a f!!!
>>
>>73606663

Woah look at Mr. uses perfect grammar over here. Just want to show everyone how smart and professional you are huh?
>>
Kreayshawn and Grimes are worse
>>
>>73606369
I even bought a bunch of knee high socks from American Apparel and I was a lanky white guy
>>
>>73606701
Yes
>>
>>73606751
Leave Grimes alone
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.