[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frank Zappa ripped off Eric Dolphy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: img 2.jpg (6KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
img 2.jpg
6KB, 184x274px
"Oh what a quirky melody!"
>literaly a cut of an Eric Dolphy solo
Ignoring this, Frank Zappa is great, and an original. Some of you gloids have never ripped anyone off. Next time you send me your "soundcloud" make sure you rip someone good off, at least I will know you are not a loser.
>>
What even is this post?
Is it bait?
Is it to be taken literally?
If it is bait, what sort of response is he expecting?
I'm listening to Eric Dolphy right now, and I think you are some sort of cosmic fuckerdoodle.
>>
>>73600996
You are surely out to lunch, my friend. If you were listening to Dolphy you would not be here. I bet you skip through the tracks he plays flute.
>>
>>73601137
this is my first time listening to dolphy desu, that's why i assumed him to be a cosmic fuckerdoodle
sorry for confusion
any good dolphy besides out to lunch btw?
i'm looking to get into him
>>
Pure Kino
>>
>>73601182
i don't know a bunch of Dolphy but his playing on Andrew Hill's Point of Departure is amazing.
>>
>>73601276
thanks i'll check it out
>>
>>73600937
he also ripped off plenty of modernist/post-modernist composers as well as 50s pop (which was meant to be satirical, but nevertheless). as long as you give credit where it's due this shouldn't really matter
>>
Dolphy's major key improvisations are so very much a preponderance relying on the quality of itself. Not a bad thing. I enjoy Thelonios monk at The Five Spot after a night of work, though.
>>
Eric Dolphy fucking sucks anyway. How about trying to play the right notes too sometimes?
>>
>>73601378
as well as 50s pop (which was meant to be satirical, but nevertheless)
More like a labor of love. I bet you think Captain Beefheart hated the blues.
>>
>>73601864
he used it as an avenue for his satire is what i am getting at. i never said he hated 50s pop
>>
>>73602196
Fair enough. But he loved root beer stand music. Jimi Hendrix did too. Wind Cries Mary advanced this into Machine Gun. It is not satire just because the words are funny.
>>
>>73602293
>It is not satire just because the words are funny
i also never said this. do you honestly think the mothers' early stuff wasn't satire? WOIIFTM and freak out both revolve around lambasting a certain culture or subculture in america while using 50s pop-inspired instrumentation, and there's plenty of separate songs or sections on their other albums that do the same thing
>>
>>73601864
I think it's actually completely different. It's so obvious from the tone of the early Mothers albums that Zappa absolutely fucking despised the tropes he so cleverly used to create his pastiche
>>
>>73602740
Much like Watermellons in Easter Hay lambasted a guitar solo over a progression with a sub norm time signature. Don Sugarcane Harris played a mean violin too, but satire is not the main point.
>>
>>73602885
i'm inclined to disagree and say it's a major focal point for both the albums i mentioned, but it's up to how you see it

>>73602809
>Zappa absolutely fucking despised the tropes
at the very least he felt fond of the music (see cruising with ruben and the jets) AFAIK, tropes or not
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.