[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: Dire Straits.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dire Straits.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
Holy shit
>>
>>73596291

are you just discovering the magic that is Mark knopfler?
>>
>>73596331
Yes. He is the GOAT
>>
>>73596291
Dire Straits is the wonderbread of rock music
>>
>>73596828
I love wonderbread
>>
>Sultans of Swing and the other 8 okay songs
>>
very underrated record. absolutely great.

>>73596908
stfu
>>
>>73596908
The whole album is great you moron
>>
>>73596786

Check out the soundtrack to the Princess Bride (and watch the movie if you haven't already), when you get a chance. Absolutely beautiful recording done by him
>>
>>73596908
In The Gallery and Down to the Waterline are great too

>>73596994
Sailing to Philadelphia is his best solo album
>>
Anyone else think Brothers in Arms was a curious album to sell 30 million? I wasn't around back then so I can't gauge the mainstream music landscape very accurately, but it just seems strange to me. Some good singles and music videos is all it took?
>>
>>73597035
Maybe because it was one of the first albums to be sold in CD format? I honestly don't know, I'm probably being dumb right now
>>
>>73597035

It was a monster album - not only in the US, but internationally too. It got a ton of radio play and the videos were in heavy rotation on mtv.
>>
>>73597035
Money for Nothing and Walk of Life were massive hits that were played basically non-stop on TV and radio, not to mention the revolutionary music video

It's not even in my top 3 DS albums though.
>>
>>73597334
>It's not even in my top 3 DS albums though.
Same and that's why I thought it was curious it was singularly their massive hit, to the point of being one of the biggest rock records ever. It's not bad at all but it's not the album I generally go to for the Straits
>>
>>73597499
Agreed
Lover over Gold > s/t > Making Movies > Brothers in Arms > Communique > On Every Street

Also Alchemy Live album is fantastic
>>
File: tour-vs-album-revenue-by-decade.png (17KB, 700x471px) Image search: [Google]
tour-vs-album-revenue-by-decade.png
17KB, 700x471px
>>73597499

Huge mainstream appeal. My parents bought the cassette - and they didn't buy many albums. Bruce's "Born in the USA" was exactly the same way (my parents bought this one too).

Music was big in the 80's - much bigger than it is now. It's literally all we had. Album sales never really hit those levels again
>>
>>73597035
Brothers In Arms as a full album is surprisingly awful, but the thing is the good parts are REALLY good and the bad parts are REALLY bad
>>
>>73597590
Pretty much this
title track and Why Worry are beautiful, but songs like Walk of Life and Your Latest Trick are extremely corny
>>
>>73597567
Those figures are pretty interesting. I guess things were booming from when CDs came out until napster. That's why Adele is so incredible (even tho she's shit). Her last 2 albums have sold 50 million combined in just 6 years. I never thought those numbers were possible again in the internet age.

>>73597522
>Also Alchemy Live album is fantastic
I'm literally listening to it right now, hah. Agreed

Here's my rankings
1. s/t
2. Communique
3. Love Over Gold
4. Brothers in Arms
5. Making Movies
6. On Every Street
>>
>>73597622
dude it might be a little bit corny but it's a really good song
>>
>>73597622
Imo the best tracks are
Brothers in Arms
Walk Of Life
Money For Nothing
So Far Away
And to a lesser extent "Ride Across The River" and "Why Worry" are all great, the rest I dont like but it might grow on me over time
>>
>>73597640
>Her last 2 albums have sold 50 million combined in just 6 years
>thought those numbers were possible again in the internet age.

I wasn't aware of that and neither did I. Go figure that it takes a Dusty Springfield clone to reinvigorate some baby boomer nostalgia
>>
>>73597724
I've always wondered who's buying these fucking things because it's alright but it's not all-time good pop music, yet it's selling all-time numbers. 30 million for 1 album and 20 million for the other, in the 10s ???
>>
Making Movies GOAT for me
>Romeo And Juliet
>>
>>73596291
Sultans of Swing absolute god tier init
>>
>>73599429
When I got into dadrock years ago the Straits, and that song especially, were my shit. Nobody else quite sounds like them
>>
>>73599605

>dadrock

why is this a word? Is Buddy Holly grandpa rock?
>>
>>73599748
It's not used in a pejorative way most of the time. It basically means rock your dad showed you when your 13 that may or may not have induced wronggenerationism.
>>
>>73599770

Ah. I see it get thrown around a lot and assumed it was derogatory. I'm creeping up in years to where I'm almost getting to be 'dad' age. It's a little disconcerting
>>
>>73599846
Yeah it's just a meme, no harm meant by it. Now, something like "buttrock," that's pejorative.
>>
you guys are fags on every street is great
>>
>>73599881
who said it wasn't bitch
>>
File: ragpicker's dream.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ragpicker's dream.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
What do you guys think of Ragpicker's Dream? To me an overall very comfy album. I really like Privateering as well, though there's definitely some fat you could cut from it
>>
dire bump
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.