[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is Making Decent Music These Days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: lavos.gif (41KB, 795x415px) Image search: [Google]
lavos.gif
41KB, 795x415px
My argument: Only Vidya Games

>Most music these days is geared toward clubs
>Heavy beat that a person can dance to
>Meant to get ppl's blood flowing
>Jungle fever baby~~
>But what about something you can hum along to and chill?

yfw: most FF soundtracks BTFO of most contemporary music.
>I'm actually curious to hear some thoughts on this.
>>
>>73595904
>Jungle fever baby~~
cringe
>>
>>73595904
me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wf5e4kes0w&feature=youtu.be
>>
90% of video game music is repetitive and shallow, literally intended as background music. When it gets into high-energy weeb stuff it's even worse.
Even complex and well-composed stuff like the Dark Souls scores don't really hold up on their own, since they're written to accompany other sensory experiences.
>>
>>73595904
here's something good from this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfaW-yD7DoA
you're a complete pleb btw
>most FF soundtracks BTFO of most contemporary music.
It's like Bach tier symphonic wank but worse, because it's hundreds of years after the vogue of Baroque music
>>73595942
this too
>>
theres substance going around but a lot of artists are trying to compromise and abide to current trends and scenes in order to gain recognition. vidya music can be good but since its meant to compliment the game, it doesn't usually stand as well on it's own
>>
File: nofuchs.jpg (11KB, 293x301px) Image search: [Google]
nofuchs.jpg
11KB, 293x301px
>>73595921
Yeah, I cringe too when I have to listen to it.

>>73595942
True, they are usually fairly simple, but even good standalone rock like the Strokes tends to be like 2-3 mins long.

>>73595984
>It's like Bach tier symphonic wank but worse
But they'll take some of the songs and write symphonic versions. Not terrible.

>>73596027
>abide to current trends
Honestly, I think that current trends are shit-tier, but that's just me I guess.
>>
>>73596101
>But they'll take some of the songs and write symphonic versions. Not terrible.
Not terrible but some of the most bland music available.
You didn't say anything about "Ogre," so here's another good song from this year.
>>
>>73596203
shit forgot the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzUb0UMjrU
>>
>>73595935
Smoooooooooooooooooooooth.

>>73596238
This is pretty good.
I'm trying to like Ogre, but I've never heard anything like that before. Not bad tho, definitely not boring.
>>
File: b8 rick.jpg (11KB, 480x298px) Image search: [Google]
b8 rick.jpg
11KB, 480x298px
>>73595904
>>
>>73596101
yeah current trends manage to sterilize the actual song and make everything sound similar. thats just the atmosphere set up by the music industry at any point in time, its cancerous
>>
>>73595904
>My argument: Only Vidya Games
Retarded because even the most complex stuff is actually still very simple compared to the stuff they are inspired from. Like film music, it's the poppiest and most basic form of programmatic music (and that is if it's even programmatic music, not just more poppy stuff like idk Persona or some shit.)

>Most music these days is geared toward clubs
>what is the music flappers used to dance to in the 20s and 30s
>what is rock n roll
>what is hard rock and funk
>what is disco, synthpop, and most electronic forms of music
>what is more mainstream forms of hip hop
Visceral music has always been there and always been very popular.

>But what about something you can hum along to and chill?
If simple mainstream music isn't big beats, its literally this.

For these days, I think the decent music comes from where the most change and introduction to new ideas is happening. So hip hop and electronic music in general. Whether its the more vapid mainstream stuff or the highly experimental less mainstream stuff, this is where the most interesting ideas are happening. Hip hop has artists like Kendrick Lamar, Lil Ugly Mane, Death Grips, Run The Jewels, Danny Brown, Kanye West, Shabazz Palaces, etc. while electronic music covers an even wider variety with the likes of Oneohtrix Point Never, Autechre, Flying Lotus, Andy Stott, Actress, Arca, Blanck Mass, etc.

If you're gonna look at traditionally popular genres of music like rock, indie, metal, etc. you won't find much innovation there anymore. Also if you don't go past the radio you'll definitely not find much innovation. This is all without even talking about the innovations in classical/art music and jazz which are so far ahead of the curve that we are either seeing very obtuse takes on composition and how sounds interact/don't interact with each other (Henry Threadgill) or we are seeing a stepping stone to what may manifest into the largest game changer in composing (Emily Howell.)
>>
File: not falling for that one.png (2MB, 1409x859px) Image search: [Google]
not falling for that one.png
2MB, 1409x859px
>>73595904
Beautifully crafted, OP
>>
Come to the wonderful world of ambient music!
>>
File: wat.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>73596556
>If you're gonna look at traditionally popular genres of music like rock, indie, metal, etc. you won't find much innovation there anymore.
This is exactly my point. I guess what activates my almonds is that these "tradition" genres were always trying to be counter-cultural and were supposed to not give a fuck.
>mfw they literally stopped giving a fuck
>>
>>73596636

how can something that's "traditional" be counter-cultural? that's literally a contradiction.
>>
>>73595904
Grimes is better than all that stuff put together.
>>
>>73596636
Most of those lost their counter-cultural flair a long time ago. Punk still maintains it, but the last big explosion of innovation in that realm of music was in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.