[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>master guitarist >writes his own music and writes with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

File: john.png (462KB, 1245x1304px) Image search: [Google]
john.png
462KB, 1245x1304px
>master guitarist
>writes his own music and writes with great musicians
>consistently has made some of the best pop for a decade or so now
>loved by musicians of the new and old generation
>is our eras equivalent of music icon
>discography is a gold mine
Whenever someone spews negative criticism of John Mayer on /mu/, it ALWAYS sounds like unintelligible dribble. These are the same idiota who unironically enjoy some of the most horrid pop stars today. If John were from an older era like the 70's or 60's or 80 's or whatever, you would all be fan boys and fan girls, bowing at his musical presence. But it's cool to hate on someone who makes look pathetic right? Kek. Sometimes /mu/ is the most ignorant Hotspot of music. Tremendously humiliating in my opinion. You are anonymous and you still can't give him props. Just because it's POP and mainstream and generally applicable, doesn't make it devoid of art you bored cynics. Get a life.
>>
0.5 has been deposited into your account!
>>
>>73591981
Your first point is true I suppose. Your second point may also be true but who cares, his lyrical content is trite garbage. The rest is just speculation and your own subjective opinion. People don't like John Mayer because he makes bland music. His songs sound like something you would hear in a Panera Bread. His music is perfect for basic white girls who live in flyover states and post inspirational quotes on their FB pages, but unappealing to me. I would not be "fan boy" if he were from any era.
>>
He impressed me when he wrote a song for Jennifer Love Hewitt and actually got with her.

In terms of his music I don't rly care about it. I respect the hell out of him, but you can't make me care that much, sorry anon
>>
>>73592102
>People don't like John Mayer because he makes bland music. His songs sound like something you would hear in a Panera Bread. His music is perfect for basic white girls who live in flyover states and post inspirational quotes on their FB pages

Pretty much
>>
>>73592102
>Panera Bread

Mark Kozelek is 10x more boring than John Mayer.
>>
>>73592102
I can tell you know nothing about music composition
>>
>>73592050
Is that a reddit joke?
>>73592102
So your argument for him not making good music is "this other demographic that I'm afraid of likes his music" kek. Kk cool man
>>73592115
He is the modern equivalent of the medieval troubadour, he writes, primarily and intentionally about romantic relationships and the struggles of it. He sometimes Ventures outside of that realm for more global issues ex: Belief, Waiting on the World etc. He specifically makes music palatable to the wider audience, yes, but it's always tastefully, masterfully and artfully done.
>>
>>73592176
He makes pretty safe sounding bluesy pop rock. He's got some above average guitar chops, but ends up being too confined in the blues/rock spectrum. There's nothing special about him.
>>
>>73592227
Name on person in Pop music that's like him.
>safe
Define that
>average
Nvm you're not a musician kek
>>
>>73592204
My argument is that his music (or at least the major singles I have heard, I'm not going to do a deep dive into an artist I don't care for) is bland. I don't find his thoughts or his sound to be interesting at all. To me, he is a boring human being. I'm sorry, but I think a lot people likely share my opinion here. You and the rest of his fans are welcome to continue enjoying his music though.
>>
>>73592102
That first album he made is the shit man, amazing songs
>>
>>73592302
If you don't vibe with his music, that's fine, but people saying he's a crap musician and makes crap music is not a legitimate criticism. They also forget the context of POP. Even though a lot of his songs would do an amazing circulation in the indie sector. The problem is, when it comes to gifted musicians and songwriters like John, there's no possible way they stay underground. There to much of a money maker. However he never sacrificed music for money, he may have sacrificed reputation though.
>>
When i was 16/17 i had a guitar instructor who was his roommate in college. Apparently Mayer flunked out of college cause he never left the dorm room. He just wrote didn't go to classes or anything. I think his music is ok, but its never really been my thing.
>>
>>73592176
You don't need to know anything about composition to decide you don't like something.
>>
>>73592534
He is an absolute champion of music, a mad obsession with melody just like any great.
>>
>>73592204
>He is the modern equivalent of the medieval troubadour

lmfao fuck off back to your PR firm, kiddo
>>
>>73593513
>"f*** off"
>verb
>article
>no noun.

Prove me wrong.
That's right you cant.
>>
he's just boring
>>
Continuum is the masterpiece. End of the story.
>>
>>73594422
You said it brother. It will be played for eons Andrew, eons.
>>
>>73592272
Sounds like a copy-pasted response from Grimes fans. Either way, music being safe and easy to consume and passively listen as pleasant background noise is implied if you're a pop musician. Record companies satisfied the listening needs of 14 year old girls back in the day and now the place of record companies has been taken by largely musicians themselves and the internet.
>>
>>73591981
>master guitarist
yet has only
>consistently made some of the best pop for a decade or so now

So why really give a shit
>>
>>73594765
What's a grimes? Sounds like a sub type of diarrhea.

Right so Pop means subjectively different sound you do not enjoy, good try mate. Pop stars of the last 20 years would like you to please leave your badge at the door and go home.
>>
>>73594874
>Right so Pop means subjectively different sound you do not enjoy, good try mate. Pop stars of the last 20 years would like you to please leave your badge at the door and go home.
Yeah, I don't like pop and over-romanticizing pop stars, how horrible of me. How dare I?
>>
>>73591981
awful easy listening for teenagers and people with certifiably bland taste
compared to people who make shitty indie hes good at guitar, compared to people who could be considered 'master guitarists' he is not
>>
>>73591981
>master guitarist
As technically proficient as he may be, he's just an unoriginal amalgam of indie acoustic douchebags and one trick pony blues lick regurgitators. A master can solo over big boy changes.
His own material is watered down mass appeal indie douche muzak that you hear and buy at Urban Outfitters.
>consistently has made some of the best pop for a decade or so now
See #2
Who, other than Clapton and Dead & Co.? (Clapton btw is also for the most part just a blues regurgitator, and later an acoustic douche bag, though I do enjoy his late 60's-early 70s projects. Bobby, Bill, and Mickey get a pass because the Dead is a national treasure. Also Trey was a way better replacement for Jerry.)
>is our eras equivalent of music icon
Nah, in rock music I'd say Radiohead. In general it's probably some faggot like Kanye or Beyonce.
>discography is a gold mine
See #2
>>
>>73591981
OP since you clearly love this man and know his music well, and I never really gave him a chance, give me a couple of your prime example of his original music so I can decide on my own.
>>
File: bill-kreut-artist-215-0-70128.jpg (72KB, 939x625px) Image search: [Google]
bill-kreut-artist-215-0-70128.jpg
72KB, 939x625px
>>73591981
>>
>>73591981
What, no one likes bland singer songwriters and this dude is the poster child for that.
You have to be mildly interesting as a person first.
>>
>>73595017
>Trey was a way better replacement for Jerry
you lost me there
>>
>>73594943
Your the same type of idiot who'd pan Michael Jackson back in the 70's. Get lost kid.
>>
File: billkreutzmann550987g5.jpg (30KB, 550x340px) Image search: [Google]
billkreutzmann550987g5.jpg
30KB, 550x340px
>>73595245
>he does have a nice ass
>>
>>73595017
BB and Herbie would like to have a word you bud. Impressive attempt though, we'll thought out kek.
>>73595274
You can't feed a closed mouth. (You)
>>
>>73595305
Great telepathic ability. Next you'll tell me where I live and what my name is. Get over yourself, not everyone likes safe, regurgitated poppy blues rock for 14 year old girls.
>>
>>73595375
wow
not even an attempt
>>
>>73591981
he hasn't made a good album since Continuum
>>
>>73595401
I can respect him for his singing abilities, as any other sensible person would, but I don't go out of my way to willingly listen to him. And how many genres of music would there be now if only pop existed in your utopian world?
>>
File: billyk_0.jpg (59KB, 610x686px) Image search: [Google]
billyk_0.jpg
59KB, 610x686px
>tfw John Mayer is better than Jerry
>>
The Micheal Buble of guitar.
>>
>>73592272
You don't have to be a musician to determine skill.
>>
>>73595175
This is him at his Live in LA concert. Watch this in a dark environment. Tell me it's not fantastic. I dare you.
>>
>>73595547
https://youtu.be/32GZ3suxRn4 forgot the link kek
>>
>>73591981
Yeah I enjoy his music. Damn good guitar player. Continuum is a classic, so is his record with the Trio. Only record of his I don't really like is Battle Studies, was kinda ehh for me.

Paradise Valley and The Search For Everything I really like, Born and Raised and his first two lps were good.
>>
>>73595514
Your an idiot
>>73595401
>>73595274
>>73595017
He's influenced by older generations of music heavily, he aims for simplicity in lyrics but they're still astute yet poetic. What does bland mean? Name another musicians that's like him, he's unique and versatile beyond any other Pop musician.
>>
>>73595601
full show link?
>>
>>73595607
Battle Studies is comfy anon, re listen.

https://youtu.be/5GTbM5-ku-M
>>
>>73595774
You like it eh?? KEK
>>
>>73595731
cant you just go be delusional somewhere else? no matter what you say hes still bland as shit
>>
>>73595375
Every time I see a video of BB I keep coming to the conclusion that he wasn't that great, he just bended notes and used vibrato like they were going out of style, and made faces like he was taking a shit. Can't touch Herbie though, he is a god. But I guess I could understand his lapse in judgement, he's far behind his artistic peak in the 60s and 70s.
>>
>>73595297
Are you kidding. It's not even a competition. Trey is a way better fit with the Dead, and he's a far better guitarist. He can play and compose circles around that teenybopper fuckboy.
>>
>>73595731
>astute yet poetic
SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAAAAYY
>>
>>73595490
God I hate Michael Buble
>>
>>73595305
Not that anon, but I would have panned Michael Jackson in the 70's because his music is kidz bop shit.
>>
>>73595993
No rebuttal, your a joke bud. Take a hike magoo.
>>
>>73596021
Lmao you think you know more than music itself eh cuck? Badge please.
>>
>>73596080
>say what you need to say
That's literally being astute and in advice and emotionally expressive through music. Get the hell out of here wanna be Shakesqueer. Muuhhh poetryy >reads Dr seuss

It doesn't have to all abstract lingo to be a beautifully concise and melodic tune you ghost brain
>>
>>73595601
Generic chord progression and lackluster melody.

Lyrics are alright, better than other songs of his that I've heard. In fact probably better than a lot of shit that passes for songwriting, but definitely not outstanding.

Again, I'll give some respect to him as a guitar player. But despite his tight control and articulate phrasing, he never transcends merely playing tastefully, it's very safe.

Pretty good voice.

But all in all the simple, plain harmony is my main complaint, which I'm coming to realize could be applied to all of his work for me. His songs leave little to no room for truly interesting guitar work, or adventurous music in general. This was better than anything I remember hearing from him, but if this is his best then I can say I don't regret avoiding him.
>>
>>73595774
If you go on YouTube they have some of set list in separate videos, but it's better to buy the DVD or Blu Ray, real mind soothing lulling comfy sonics
>>
>>73596272
>cuck
>>>/b/
>>
>>73596463
And upbeat bluesy jazz grooves too
>>
>>73596329
It's a shit song dude, just go back to pegging yourself on top of his cardboard cutout you basic bitch.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170623-130309.png (490KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170623-130309.png
490KB, 1440x2560px
>>73596484
I'm sure Happy Birthday is too simplistic for you too eh. Grow up u Web rat.
>>
File: 1405138896839.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1405138896839.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>73596255
theres nothing in your posts worth responding to
>guys i love john mayer so much woowwww hes the best artist of all time
>>
>>73596484
https://youtu.be/9BMsX4w5Mmw
>s*** song
>beat Paul McCartney and James Taylor
for a Grammy

He wrote the song for the movie bucket list, prolly in 10 mins, have fun diddly squat
>>
>>73597178
Does Mom have your computer? Why are you censoring swears?
>>
>>73597178
I don't want to reveal YOUR contents kek. It's undignified language, and I'm quoting a ferret of an anon.
>>
>>73597374
I don't think 4chan is the place for you.
>>
>>73597419
There's a gentleman for every pig. Don't ever forget.
>>
>>73597178
>beat Paul McCartney and James Taylor
Yeah when they were both well beyond their prime. Plus the industry only acknowledges a small handful of artists

>for a Grammy
If you're impressed by Grammy awards you're way too much of a pleb for /mu/, but it does explain why you're ITT
>>
>>73597178
>wrote the song for the movie bucket list
Makes sense, forgettable song by a forgettable artist for a forgettable movie. Recipe for success right there. Not kidding, I bet they all made a nice chunk of change. And I hope he didn't spend more than 10 minutes on it, given the product it would be sad if he did.
>>
>>73597856
>prime
This isn't sports you moron, musical knowledge and ability doesn't decay, in fact it gets better, fake music lover you are
>grammy
I don't care about the Grammy, he just said it's trash, it cant be trash if it won a Grammy, doesn't mean it's the best though
>>
>>73598392
is this bait? the number of artists who have decreased in quality over time is fucking staggering, doesn't take a fake music lover to point that out
>>
>>73597989
>*starts weeping in his parents basement*
Good try cuck, it's a radio hit, objective complete! Just cause you have a low EQ doesn't mean u can hate!
>>
>>73598423
Were not talking about one hit wonders, many have gotten better over time, and it doesn't even matter theres no such thing as a prime time in music
>>
>>73596465
This is /B/ by extension
>>
>>73597242
Mom?
>>
>>73600662
Dad?
>>
is john mayer a meme now?
>>
File: 1401x788-140650247.jpg (142KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-140650247.jpg
142KB, 1401x788px
>>73601894
Artist first. Meme second.
>>
>>73596431
I don't understand your critique is though, are you saying that's it innovative enough for you?
>>
>>73596329
>That's literally being astute and in advice and emotionally expressive through music. Get the hell out of here wanna be Shakesqueer. Muuhhh poetryy >reads Dr seuss
What is wrong with you? Should Bob Dylan never would've bothered just to not confuse people like you with his big words?
>>
>>73603604
I said it doesn't have to all be abstract lingo. John Mayer is an extremely gifted and articulate person, easily able to convey his ideas, even when they are dense. He intentionally writes the way he writes because he sees fit to write that way for that specific tune. The guy didn't even post a full set of lyrics. He pulls one line out of context like the Lazer bird he is.
>>
>>73603345
>In fact probably better than a lot of shit that passes for songwriting, but definitely not outstanding.
>But despite his tight control and articulate phrasing, he never transcends merely playing tastefully, it's very safe.
And this is why you along with other casual music listeners and 14 year old girls are target audiences for these kind of musicians. That's also why jazz devolved to smooth jazz and pleasant background noise to talk over to Starbucks jazz.
>>
>>73603634
>I said it doesn't have to all be abstract lingo
Great, you've already said that. Big words confuse you and no one should ever dare to write and think above 8th grader's level of understanding.
>John Mayer is an extremely gifted and articulate person, easily able to convey his ideas, even when they are dense
And that's the problem for most people. Sorry, but his ideas are not dense. Steely Dan's ideas are dense and they're extremely talented individuals who are the definition of wasted talent. They could've done so much more, but opted in for safe and profitable pop rock and jazz pop. I think you finally understand now.
>>
>>73603645
Wtf are you on about? Stop pontificating bullshit. I really hope your not throwing John in the jazz conjuring you just boiled.
>>
>>73603675
>big words
Yes I'm frightened by a extensive vocabulary. Your insults are as limp as your genitalia anon

Why is Steely Dan intelligent student of music but not John Mayer cuckold, explain.
>>
>>73603863
>>73603882
Nothing is getting through to you. I'm done. Thanks for playing. Have a sage.
>Your insults are as limp as your genitalia anon
>Why is Steely Dan intelligent student of music but not John Mayer cuckold
Good job at making anyone take you seriously at this point.
>>
>>73603933
>>73597050
/thread
>>
>>73603933
You projected that I wasn't intelligent enough for poetry because I supported John's use of concise language. He still creates proper sentiment and imagery without getting to heavy on the wording. You have no argument that's why you're backing away. You bluffed and blew it.
>>
>>73603953
Do you have anything legitimate to add to the discussion or are you just goin to reverberate chimp noises
>>
I like Bigger Than My Body. That was my mainstream radio/MTV jam back in 2005.
>>
>>73603981
wtf dude, the thread is over, stop posting
>>
Also, as far as white-bread top 40 guitar dudes go, this guy is INFINITELY better than Jason Mraz and Ed Sheeran. (Jack Johnson is tighter competition though)
>>
>>73604008
MA NIGGA
>>73604021
Leave your badge.
>>73604028
>Jack Johnson
What happened to that dude. John Mayer does not get enough credit for still staying relevant for so long and never seem like he's stretching his stay in mainstream music. He's just too good of a songwriter and musician.
>>
K I'm going to bed /mu/ Bros. Keep this thread alive for like 8 more hours, I wanna talk more with the haters. Don't be asses people. Chip in. If you don't, we can never meet. You decide player.
>>
File: Toby-Keith-793x526.jpg (45KB, 793x526px) Image search: [Google]
Toby-Keith-793x526.jpg
45KB, 793x526px
is this the logical conclusion of music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kGEhX_s2_g
>>
>>73595017
>As technically proficient as he may be, he's just an unoriginal amalgam of indie acoustic douchebags and one trick pony blues lick regurgitators. A master can solo over big boy changes.
Speaking as a guitarist, this simply isn't true. I'm not a big fan of Mayer, not a fan of his voice or a lot of his lyrics but he's a fantastic guitarist. He has a lot of jazz training and it shows in his chord progressions.
>>
oh god, this guy annoyed the fuck out of me when in high school. too sappy for me. after all I had tons of cd and ipod rips
>>
I like his Kid A cover
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.