[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I read or watch to get a better understanding of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: chet-baker-vel-verrept.jpg (128KB, 673x900px) Image search: [Google]
chet-baker-vel-verrept.jpg
128KB, 673x900px
What should I read or watch to get a better understanding of jazz music?

I've been introducing myself to jazz over the past few months (beginning as an almost totally blank slate) and want to deepen my understanding and appreciation of what I'm hearing. This includes learning more about the philosophy of jazz, jazz's context in history or the lives of players. Gimme your thoughts.
>>
>>73590237
sorry, but jazz isn't children's music.
you might begin to understand it a bit more once you get older
>>
>>73590237
You need to read a lot more, Jazz has a wealth of literature to choose from. This could lead to more of an understanding of it's philosophies, but ultimately Jazz needs to be understood on a natural level, along with the theoretical & technically. Focus more on indivual instruments. People who go on about how the ear isn't important are fucking retarded. Your ear is your musical barometer and is largely (like 75%) of what makes you a good musician. A tip I'll gice you to start developing your ear is to notice that in music, sound doesn't stop, it's always continuous. Make your ears more attentive & the rest will follow. Also stop stealing hehe
>>
>>73590908
Any particular books from said wealth of literature you'd recommend?
>>
>>73590933
Start off by reading the biographies/autobiographies of the greats: Davis, Mingus, Hancock etc. Then go into theory/historical analysis books
>>
>>73590702
muh superiority complex
>>
>>73590237
I used to be in the same boat as you, you just gotta listen to tons of other music first, eventually your taste kind of get more experimental until jazz is the only option
>>
File: charlie parker.jpg (77KB, 948x1264px)
charlie parker.jpg
77KB, 948x1264px
Autobiography of Miles Davis
History of Jazz by Ted Gioa
But Beautiful by Geoff Dyer

But honestly you should just listen to lots of it, different periods, different genres, always try to find something new, Come to jazz threads too, usually they are pretty good, and you will learn something.
>>
File: IMG_9680.jpg (32KB, 400x400px)
IMG_9680.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>73590237
Idk about what to read and watch, but you could definitely listen to Jazz music in a chronological way. Like start with Louis until you like get his music and go from there. That way you'll be able to appreciate shit like Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme better
>>
Idk for me it was I played in my schools jazz bands from 7th grade to 12th grade. I didn't even like it that much at first, but I started getting more into it as I got into other genres as well and it grew on me more and more as I understood it. I think playing it and learning about it from other players is one of the best ways to gain an appreciation for it, but I don't know if that's an option you're considering
>>
>listening to an antiquated genre
>it isn't classical
>>
>>73593815
>listening to an antiquated genre
>it isn't jug band music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiZ4ePW9sgY
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.