[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hip-Hop Music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: LowEndTheory.jpg (160KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
LowEndTheory.jpg
160KB, 1500x1500px
Why is hip-hop such a polarizing genre? People either tend to like it or immediately reel in disgust when it's mentioned. Even on this board it seems like it can be difficult to discuss hip hop albums because somebody attempts to derail a thread by calling hip hop trash or immature.

This also applies to the population at large; you'll hear people say they "listen to everything but rap-" writing off dozens of artists they might enjoy simply because they're in the same genre as a few artists they dislike. You don't hear shit like this when people are discussing rock music.

Is it because hip hop is one of the newer genres to emerge into mainstream music? Is it because people can't relate to the lyrics? It is racism (I've heard people write it off because it's "nigger music")? I want to discuss this because I've gotten into hip hop in the past 6 months or so and I've seen a lot of this when I talk about it with my friends or coworkers.
>>
A. People are racist
B. Rappers are lowlife

If you think any different then you're dreaming
>>
>>73584486
Because it's the most relevant genre in the mainstream right now and there's a lot of trash that's kind of representing the genre
Plus a lot of people are just racist
>>
>>73584513
>Rappers are lowlife
Do I need to prove you wrong with my extensive knowledge of MF Doom?
>>
>>73584486

Don't compare today's rappers with ATCQ nigger.
>>
File: kylestare.gif (41KB, 192x224px) Image search: [Google]
kylestare.gif
41KB, 192x224px
>>73584513
>Rappers are lowlife

And this inherently means their art is less valuable?

Probably could just put "People are racist" since A and B are pretty much the same.
>>
>>73584486
>Is it because hip hop is one of the newer genres to emerge into mainstream music?
Yes.

>Is it because people can't relate to the lyrics?

Yes, and many conservatives have tried to write off hip hop as some thing that only exists to promote violence and degrade women, and that still sticks with many older Americans.

>It is racism (I've heard people write it off because it's "nigger music")?

Yup. Though, these days, even the "rap is crap" people I knew in hs all have their own favorite rappers now. It's starting to become much more accepted by younger people though.

Also, the fact that the worst rappers tend to be the most popular doesn't usually help.
>>
>>73584525
*DOOM
>>
>>73584569
>the fact that the worst rappers tend to be the most popular doesn't usually help.

This is a big factor, which is unfortunate. I'm sure almost anyone could find something they enjoy in some sub category of hip hop.
>>
>>73584565
How many rappers you been around? Where the fuck you from? I would guess you don't know shit about the the minds of people who describe themselves as rappers.

What is the same about statement A and B exactly?
>>
>>73584525
you can know whatever you want about him.
fucks so great about that guy anon?

>rappers are lowlife as fuck
>>
>>73584569
>Also, the fact that the worst rappers tend to be the most popular doesn't usually help.
yes. i think this is the reason why people look at the genre and constantly judge it out of no wherein threads where its the main focus, cause they are setting a bad example.
>>
File: depression.jpg (21KB, 376x302px) Image search: [Google]
depression.jpg
21KB, 376x302px
>>73584670
>What is the same about statement A and B exactly?

People thinking that somebody is a low life because of their skin color.

No, I live in a relatively rural area. It's a city- but not a big one. We don't get "rappers" here.
>>
>>73584670
>>73584685
Depends a lot on the rapper doesn't it? Are there rappers who are lowlifes? Yeah.
There are also a lot who are intelligent, socially conscious, normal men and women.
Which is why the statement is a broad prejudicial generalization.
>>
>>73584790
who said anything about skin color?
you seem white so let me say this then that white rappers are lowlifes too.
A and B are not equatable.
you made a jump there.
>>73584796
list them off then.
please school me.

WHERE THE FUCK YOU GUYS FROM?
>>
File: different.gif (215KB, 804x513px) Image search: [Google]
different.gif
215KB, 804x513px
>>73584832
>A and B are not equatable. you made a jump there.

Fair enough.

Even so, what makes music made by so called 'lowlifes' any less valuable than music made by somebody else? Does that fact that they're labeled as lowlifes prevent them from contributing anything of value?

I think that's a little unfair since many people don't choose to be a part of the shitty 'low end' of society.
>>
>>73584832
>>73584900
has there ever been a "lowlife" rapper who's art wasn't a reflection of their hardship being a lowlife
for example: eminem, kendrick lamar, n.w.a.
>>
>>73584900
they are lowlifes cuz they are rappers not because of where they are from. by 'low end' you mean 'black'. you have some internal dialogues to sort out. white middle class rappers are low life losers too.

there's great rap albums I'm not taking anything away from the art.

people are racist they don't like rap because they are afraid of black people.
>>
>>73584989
so are all musicians lowlifes to you because they didn't pursue a corporate job?
what is it specifically about rappers that makes them lowlifes to you?
>>
>>73585070
you obviously not a rapper
nor have ever been around rappers
it's a mentality
>>
>>73585090
What is it about rappers' mentalities that differs from artists of other genres?
>>
>>73585070
>thinks being a 'rapper' isn't a corporate job
>>
>>73585209
are musicians of other genres not signed to record labels?
but that's kind of besides the point
so I guess I would ask again why single out rappers?
>>
>>73585251
boring
why stop your line of questioning at artists why not just ask about the entirety of the structural world and the players involved on a daily basis?
existential 'are americans assholes?' aside go split hair somewhere else
>>
>>73584513
>Rappers are lowlife
There are plenty of normal, law abiding rappers. Lots of them black too.
>>
>>73585090
>It's a mentality
This. It's like a lifestyle and culture in itself. With all varying kinds of rappers.
>>
>>73584486
Consider the following:

Those hundreds and thousands of people who feel indifferent towards hip-hop just don't talk about it.
>>
>>73584569
its always fascinanting to me that conservatives complain about these things while almost everything applies for blues as well, which theyre usually fine with.
tell me if this sounds familiar: poor uneducated people out their troubles and tell about their sinful lifestyle through an unique new style birthed from a mix of their heritage and the society they live in.
some people like it, some complain, other artists take the formula and run with it, the genre evolves.
>>
Personally my tastes are pretty all-encompassing but I don't like hip-hop.
There are exceptions but in music I usually look for
>dynamics
>evolution, I like a song that has content of 3 songs
>personal honesty

I very much dislike repetitiveness, which rules out a lot of hip-hop because it tends to have a repetitive beat and its quality hinges on a hook.
Of course there are exceptions.
Hip-hop music doesn't seem very dynamic either. I actually enjoy some of Tribe Called Quest, MF Doom, and early disco-rap. Kanye is alright too (dislike his last couple albums).
The rap tracks on Avalanches new album were good too, they were dynamic and the song seemed to evolve well.

A big part for me, which this will seem very unguided, presumptuous, and scatterbrained since its hard for me to express, is honesty.
To use an example anyone on /mu/ would know is NMH, even though the lyrics are surrealistic you get the feeling Jeff cares greatly about the subject matter. It speaks of derealization and humanity.
I don't need great lyrics, I don't need lyrics at all, but I see most bravado as just insecure and the artist lying to themselves and the listener.
Same thing goes with dadrock, KISS didn't want to party all night, they were just greedy assholes that took advantage of people and I feel a lot of rappers (might be completely off base) just take advantage of youth culture now days.
This is nothing new as mainstream pop does this as well and rock, when it was in its "prime", exploited people as well.
It's hard for me to think an artist truly wants to express from their heart how much they like to get money and shit. I know there is far more to it with some artists, but unfortunately its harder to come by and the token "I love my mom so much song and I work so hard" song isn't going to make me feel these people are genuine.
>>
>>73586063
Rec me some albums/songs if you want, contrary to my last poorly written paragraph I'm open minded. I know you can't paint an entire genre with broad strokes like this but damn it's so hard to find hip-hop that's both expressive and genuine.
I know I'm predisposed to dislike it because I'm around a lot of people who emulate the lifestyle exploited by most rappers and it seems to be the new pseudo-macho attitude where you act manly and can't be judged because, in the famous words of anonymous, "I was just pretending to be retarded!".
>>
>>73586094
>expressive and genuine
it's all expressive but i understand what you mean by genuine, a lot of them do play characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYG0t2oIfC4&list=PLxjkwclpxxIzIS9J4PUkJte6nO2oYuwPP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28N2taistdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YokueB5Ce4
>>
>>73586318
>it's all expressive
Should have been more concise, of course all art expresses, it's just that spoken word and rap expresses less emotion than singing and while I enjoy a little of both it does make me feel for more as the backing track seems to serve the vocals.

Never liked Danny Brown's voice.
Backing track was pretty good, liked how it seemed to evolve but eventually it just repeated itself, still pretty decent. Reminded me of softer-prog for whatever reason.

Listening to Liquid Swords now, liked the beginning when they started rapping, and while I like their style this same beat has been repeating for a couple minutes now and it's honestly too much for me.
Music really needs some progression for me to enjoy and while I do enjoy the rapping style the backing track is essentially the same thing throughout.
Not criticizing as I know this is what people want and they intend for this, it's just that most hip-hop hardly has the qualities I look for in music.

About to listen to Freddie.
>>
>>73586318
>>73586400
Like the build up but unfortunately after the chorus it reverted with no real additions to the backing track.
Not to sound critical but the synth work is mediocre and am not a fan of drum tracks like this, digital drums have their place but its boring when they are used to just keep rhythm.

And I know there are plenty of rappers that are genuine people who want to express their feelings and views, it's more of a modern thing with mumble rap where true political/emotional views have seemed to died down (obviously my only experience with this is from radio, friends, and parties so I'm biased as I've probably only heard singles).

What qualities do YOU look for in music like this. Like the Freddie Gibbs song. When I hear synths in any song I listen to see how they produced the sound and casio-sounding sounds sound cheap.
When I hear any instrument I listen to see how they develop and play off the other instruments and in the case of the synth it just repeats itself.
Is it the vocals and overall "feel"?
I do enjoy vocals but it isn't enough for me to enjoy a song if the instruments are used as only a vehicle for the vocals.

Genuinely curious anon, I'm able to get into noise and any genre created by africans but I don't "get" hip-hop.
>>
A lot of melodies are straight up stolen aka "le sampled" while some kangz and drugz shit is spewed over it by literal criminals and rapists
>>
File: abohl.jpg (118KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
abohl.jpg
118KB, 700x700px
>>73586094
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVNp42l3Xo
>>
>>73586536
Why isn't this posted more here?
Guy who you responded to, digging this so far.
The backing is kind of minimalistic but it's nice.
It's not just repetitive, the beat remains throughout the song but they build on it and introduce different sounds.
Really chill anon, thanks.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.