[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You now remember post-punk/garage rock revival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: silent-alarm.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
silent-alarm.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
You now remember post-punk/garage rock revival
>>
please respond
>>
>>73578162
the only songs i remember from these guys are banquet and ratchet, both good songs tho
>>
>>73579158
great album top to bottom desu. sad they could never live up to it.
>>
There were a lot of great records out of that time, that one included.

Also Luno is probably the best one on it.
>>
>>73578162
brilliant record, other stuff not so much, love the song skeleton, not on this album tho
>>
>>73580772
What makes the album special to me is how brilliantly its recorded. The drums feel "punchier" on this record than any other I can remember hearing. I can listen a song off of it and only focus on the drums and its still a great experience
>>
>>73581696
matt tong is a beast, played a concert once with a collapsed lung, found out after it was from soccer kek
>>
>>73581696
Yeah iirc the producer deliberately placed a huge amount of emphasis on the drums and bass which is what sets it apart from their other albums. Fucking killer. I honestly listen to Silent Alarm more than I listen to Entertainment! or a lot of the similar post-punk records these guys bite from.

It reminds me a lot of Turn On The Bright Lights - it's really obvious what their influences/touchstones are but their songwriting is catchy enough that they pull it off. Shame their other albums aren't nearly as good.
>>
>>73578162
this is one of my few 10's it is what got me into searching for music.
I just love how many different styles come together on this album.
Russel's uses the guitar pretty experimentally with a lot of different pedal chains that hadn't been used in the way he did like on Like Eating Glass
Matt Tong is a beast on drums and hits those ghost note for days
Gordon knew exactly when to add bass into a song, and actually had some interesting rhythms like on She's Hearing Voices
Kele has vocals to carry this thing through chilling lows like in plans to energetic songs like Pioneers and he isn't too bad of a guitarist either
>>
You know I don't really dig this that much outside of a few songs (Banquet, Helicopter, Blue Light, This Modern Love) but I'll give it anothet spin soon, it's been a while and maybe I've warmed up to it.
>>
>>73582312
>the producer deliberately placed a huge amount of emphasis on the drums and bass
So it seems. excellent recording, one of the best if not the best I've ever heard (for my tastes).
>>73582313
Agree it's a very well written album. very different from a lot of the rock at the time. Bloc Party is special to me. I was a dadrock faggot at the time since I was 12 and thought no good rock music was from my era. I got into acts like Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, the Strokes and Interpol. the whole garage-rock revival really showed me the light about modern rock
>>
>>73582406
desu I'm the same way but the few songs that I love I REALLY fucking love. Price Of Gasoline in particular.

I also have barely even listened to Blue Light or So Here We Are even though everyone says those are two of the best so I guess I still have a lot to listen to on here
>>
How does nobody say anything about Like Eating Glass? Best song on the album imo
>>
>>73582586
It's very good. I probably like Positive Tention the best, it's an interesting composition
Luno is a fucking banger tho
>>
I prefer the 2010s post-punk "revival" with the likes of Merchandise, Iceage, Total Control, Women, VC/Preoccupations, etc. to that 2000s garbage excuse for post punk that was far more trendy alt rock than post-punk.
>>
>>73578162
>ethnically diverse group
>not a meme
>killer band
What do you guys order their albums best to worst?
>>
>>73583075
Silent Alarm>>>>>A Weekend in the City>>The Rest

Bloc Party began on a massive high but crashed hard creatively. Interpol almost suffered the same fate, but Antics is much better than Bloc Party's second album. Interpol probably have the better career, I don't even mind their newer albums.
>>
>>73579176
>>73580772
Weekend in the city is almost just as good.
>>
>>73583122
Do you think BP suffered making a sequel because of how good the first record was. Cause honestly Helicopter Banquets (those being there most mainstream) etc. are so undoubtedly Bloc Party songs. Like i can't picture any band coming up with stuff that sound like them. its a very impressive foray.

someone mentioned skeleton, what album is that from
>>
Reminds me of The Bravery.
Literally fell off the Earth after Sun & Moon.
>>
>>73583226
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Thoughts_(EP)
Its on an EP it seems. I've never heard it, listening now
But yeah Bloc Party was never going to live up to their first record. You have to think, every musician's first record is basically 'however long you've been alive'-in the making. Many acts improve later on like say the Beatles or Radiohead and those are the true greats but countless acts peak with album #1.
>>73583251
Also true. Lot of the bands from that scene peaked with their first album. Strokes did for sure
>>
File: izJhJkJ6.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
izJhJkJ6.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>drummer is asian
>>
>>73583289
Bloc Party also lost their original drummer/bassist and changed their sound a lot after their first album iirc
So not quite the same as Interpol who kept trying to make good stuff but just couldn't recapture it

>>73582819
2010's post-punk is probably a lot more original but I can't stand half those bands desu
Viet Cong bores me to tears, Iceage's first album is really good but their second is kinda overrated and I only really enjoy a few Women songs
I'll admit I need to listen to some of them a little more though
>>
>>73583251
are those the guys who wrote time wont let you go?
>>73583311
yea and? he's a monster on the percussion, you'd prolly get a concussion listening to him pepe
>>
>>73583338
did not know they lost members interesting...
>>73583289
you like skeleton? its great
>>
>>73583338
To be fair to Interpol, I think not enough people give Antics a fair listen. That thing is a 8.5 for me.
>>
>>73583391
Ya skeleton was great. Wish it was recorded better
>>
>>73583338
If you want some good 2010s post punk check out Total Control and Suuns they're both good bands
>>
>>73583438
pass
>>
>>73583417
same :(
>>
>>73583363
Oh yeah they wrote that song too.
I really liked their first album the best. Had some real standout tracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2LJu-0idzg&list=PLDF7F90739C9B5C13&index=1
>>
>>73583565
dope thanks
>>
GOOD FUCKING ALBUM

B SIDES FROM THE SECOND ALBUM ARE BETTER THAN THE ACTUAL ALBUM
>>
File: ff.png (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
11KB, 300x300px
>>73578162
this was good.
>>
>>73583865
So was this
>>
>>73583823
i didnt know there was a b side lol
>>
>>73584199
Another Night in the City
>>
Interpol is my favorite band and Antics is better than Turn On the Bright Lights, I don't give a fuck
>>
>>73583438
Tight, I'll look into them. Heard really good things about Suuns in particular.
>>
>>73583338
They changed their sound on Hymns, everything else before that is still really good, just not as good as Silent Alarm.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.