[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Technical Guitar Albums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Buckethead.jpg (85KB, 630x839px) Image search: [Google]
Buckethead.jpg
85KB, 630x839px
I want to get back into more technical guitar playing, but what technical/shred guitar album is good to listen to for its musical merits, not just its guitar technique merits? I've listened to Paul Gilbert, Vai, Satch, MAB, etc. in the past, but I've kind of lost interest in that kind of album where they just keep shredding. It makes sense that those kinds of albums aren't popular on /mu/, either. But what's an album that's just genuinely good on its own merits that also happens to have great, technical guitar playing?
>>
File: 61DgNJybu+L.jpg (82KB, 500x500px)
61DgNJybu+L.jpg
82KB, 500x500px
Why?
>>
try animals as leaders
>>
rings of saturn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmu3zjmkJZ0
>>
>>73577051
God, so much of this video is cringe, I don't know where to begin.
>>
File: cover.jpg (146KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
146KB, 1024x1024px
>>73576880
>>
For pure shred, listen to some metal/thrash metal. Suicidal Tendancies(Album) has great thrash riffs and guitar shredding, but it's all in the background, you have to listen for it. Anything by Slayer is also good.

If you want something technically proficient but not really shred, there's tons of bands that do this too. I can't really give an example unless you're more specific.
>>
>>73577270
>I can't really give an example unless you're more specific.
I don't really care, anything works. Maybe not jazz fusion, though, I've heard enough of that.
>>
>>73577385
see, you should be listening to jazz fusion actually, lol. dig into john mclaughlin, with both miles d and mahavishnu orchestra, and for some pussy-ass yuppie shit that's really beautiful you should listen to Pat Metheny - bright size life and the first pat metheny group record.
>>
>>73576880
You listened to much Zappa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkl1avYXRM
>>
>>73577211
this
>>
>>73577620
Well, that kind of jazz fusion I'm down with. But I feel like there's a lot of shred rock guys who do jazz fusion, but it's really just jazzy shred rock. That stuff I'm not really down with.

Still, listening to Bitches Brew hasn't really done a lot for me, to be honest.
>>
>>73577680
That's Vai, isn't it?
>>
>>73579643
Vai plays some stuff. But live, Zappa always ripped awesome lengthy solos that weren't really on many studio albums.
>>73576880
You mind harsh vocals? There's a few good tech death metal bands. I mean, aside from solo shredding, they write some technical catchy riffs so it's not all "chug chug chugga chug" crap. Off the top of my head try archspire, psycroptic, or gorod.
>>
>>73577211
Eww. Hipster buttbabby crap
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.