[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I learn drums or guitar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 12110052_f496.jpg (18KB, 496x397px) Image search: [Google]
12110052_f496.jpg
18KB, 496x397px
Should I learn drums or guitar?
>>
Drums and then jam with me
>>
as a drummer you will always have work, but you will play in 4-5 bands all at once and no one will remember your name.

as a guitarist you will be lucky if you can find 3-4 guys that want you as a front guy for their band and will probably never play a gig in your life.

also
>starting playing at 18+
good fucking luck.
>>
>>73569128
How about a musical instrument?
>>
>>73569158
Quit smoking whatever you're smoking.
>>
>>73569155
What's so bad about starting to learn after 18? I'm 23 and have some free time now, is it too late?
>>
>>73569179
It's much harder to learn because both time and brain plasticity are a factor.
>>
>>73569179
>23
you'll be 30 by the time you're any good and you will most likely never be great.

If it's just mindless passtime then knock yourself out and have fun, but if you're thinking of making a career out of it you're a bit late.
>>
Guitar. It'll make song writing easier. Rhythm is more intuitive than melody.
>>
>>73569179
no, you need to know 4 chords to play in a band
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>73569158
Is mayonnaise an instrument?
>>
>>73569155
>>73569179
Wes Montgomery didn't start until he was 19

But if you want to do songwriting OP, you don't need to become an extremely technical player. You can probably get good if you practice 2-3 hours a day fairly quickly. There's constantly people who want a rhythm guitarist to at least jam with, or just find some friends. Worst case, learn the bass too and you'll find a lot more places to play
>>
>>73569204
>If it's just mindless passtime then knock yourself out and have fun, but if you're thinking of making a career out of it you're a bit late.
If it's a mindless pass time I wouldn't even suggest investing in an instrument. If it's a hobby, go for it at any age. I agree with the career part, it's not happening.
>>
>>73569332
Probably a stupid question, but how do you do songwriting on guitar? I've been "teaching" myself how to play for almost 1 year and I've tried hours and days to put something together using single picks and chord arrangements, but most of that stuff sounds bland and completely uninspiring. Will I get better at this when I get better at guitar? Or am I just unmusical and unimaginative?
>>
>>73569390
Not very well. At the very least you need to know how to build a chord, and unless you're reading sheet music and not TAB, that's not going to happen.
>>
>>73569390
It's mostly based around chords, but the better you get at guitar the easier it comes to you. What happened to me is I just started singing melodies over the chords progressions I was playing once I was more comfortable with guitar, but I definitely couldn't have done it when I had just started out
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.