[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone play guitar or does it take a certain skill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0031.jpg (141KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.jpg
141KB, 1300x866px
Can anyone play guitar or does it take a certain skill?
>>
you can play any instrument at a very basic skill level with no effort but getting good at it takes time
this applies to literally every instrument
just continue playing open chords on your first act acoustic guitar
>>
The only instrument that cannot be taught is vox.
>>
You have to be a douche
>>
Things you need to play guitar at a decent level besides practice:

-Long and thin fingers
-Great eye-hand coordination when reading & playing tablatures of pieces you're unfamiliar with
-A good ear that can quickly detect when you're playing out of tune/key/tempo
>>
I don't think anyone can be really good at it, but anyone can play basic shit. Most popular music should be playable by anyone with normal hands.
>>
Anyone can learn any instrument with devotion and practice. Guitar just happens to be one of the easier ones.
>>
Anyone can play guitar
>>
>>73568320
If guitar is one of the easier instruments to learn I am truly a talentless hack
>>
File: IMG_0032.jpg (14KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
14KB, 219x230px
>>73568343
>>
How can I learn guitar at home?
>>
>>73568361
lmao
>>
>>73568375
>buy guitar
>learn songs
>>
File: yorke-Radiohead-HMH.jpg.jpg (121KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
yorke-Radiohead-HMH.jpg.jpg
121KB, 1024x682px
>>73568333
>>
>>73568385
Thanks for the help faggot
>>
>>73568255
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2d7-rsdUI&ab_channel=Radiohead
>>
>>73568267
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>73568333
FAT. UGLY. DEAD.
>>
>>73568414
Do you think? There is a definite ceiling to what you're able to do with your vocal chords, and once you hit that ceiling there's not much more you can do.
>>
>>73568320
>Guitar just happens to be one of the easier ones.
What are you even talking about? Do you know how many genres of music can be played on a guitar? Virtually every known one. Not to mention various techniques, accessories and number of possible effects you could apply to your tone - guitar is impossible to master by a human being. Easy...
>>
>>73568422
It's a very different thing to say that there is a skill ceiling and to say that it's an instrument that cannot be taught. From my experience, the only people who say that singing can't be taught are people who can't sing, and gave up without proper training and effort.

>There is a definite ceiling to what you're able to do with your vocal chords, and once you hit that ceiling there's not much more you can do.
You could easily say that about any instrument. Speaking of the guitar, there's only so many things you can do with your fingers, but people have found ways to make so many different kinds of music with it, and they will continue to find new ways to play guitar. Same with singing. But also, in regards to practice, the best instrumentalists are always practicing. They keep on doing it—for guitars, or for vocals. You also got to keep in mind how the voice can change as you age, and you have to adapt to that as well. Singing is a complex process, which many different people have approached in many different ways; to simply sum it up with some arbitrary notion of a "skill ceiling" is to limit yourself. There is always more to learn, if you want to.
>>
Define "knowing how to play", if Jack White knows how to play then I'm pretty sure anyone can learn
>>
>>73568309
>Long and thin fingers
Bullshit, Django Reinhardt made do with two working fingers on his left hand
>>
>>73568447
I think the guitar is 'easy' in as far as you can get convincing sounds of it relatively quickly and easily and there are lots of crutches built in (e.g., moveable chord shapes, 'box' soloing, the mainstream repertoire barely ever getting as far as an inversion etc). You can play guitar without even remotely knowing any theory or even much abut the instrument, most guitarists are self taught after all.

Contrast that with the saxophone or the piano where you have to have developed some technique to do even basic exercises and you have to really know theory to do anything that sounds like anything recognisable.

Its true there aren't enough lifetimes to master the guitar and some genres would really find you out (jazz for example) but I think its fair to say its a relatively easy instrument to start out with.
>>
>>73568309
Those things can be achieved by practice except for the long fingers, and that's bullshit anyways.
>>
File: joepass.jpg (54KB, 800x789px) Image search: [Google]
joepass.jpg
54KB, 800x789px
>>73568309
>Long and thin fingers
Someone tell Joe to quit he doesn't have what it takes.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>73569116
On the other end of the spectrum, there's Allan Holdsworth whose songs are physically impossible for most people to play.
>>
>>73569144
Gotta love how one of the most mind boggling guitarists throughout history didn't even want to play the guitar, that if anything is an answer to OP's question
>>
>>73569785
His abilities went so far as to John McLaughlin and Frank Gambale of all guitar players claiming they couldn't understand what he was doing even inches away from him. John McLaughlin also went backstage at one of his concerts to tell him that he would copy it only he could understand what exactly to copy. A true innovator and a guitar genius.
>>
>>73568375
Buy a guitar, learn how to play 4 chords, done.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.