[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get a Bass VI?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 0305600500_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg (609KB, 2400x737px) Image search: [Google]
0305600500_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
609KB, 2400x737px
I'm a bass player and have only been a bass player who only knows TAB but I want to be a lead singer due to my lyrics, but I don't really wanna transition to guitar and I've heard playing a regular bass is hard while singing.

Any idea on what I should do? the type of music I wanna perform is Related Tags
indie, shoe-gaze and lo-fi kinda stuff with a bit of post-rock and folk influences?
>>
>>73561282
I've never played one so I couldn't tell you first hand how cofortable they are to play. I haven't heard great things about them tho.

I see them more as a gimmick for playing bassy surf-rock riffs.

You're probably better off transitioning to guitar (which shouldn't be too difficult if you know bass).

If you're looking for a lower sound you could always try different tunings or get a baritone.

also, why not sing and play bass at the same time? Many lead singers play bass.
>>
if you plan to have two guitarists in your band the bass vi is just going to be a waste. a 5 string with a low b string is cool if you really want more low end but I only see people using it in metal. if you want to play guitar then just play guitar, don't try to fight the role of your instrument as a bass player

if you're only going to have one guitarist in your band you can play like lou barlow and get away with it
>>
>>73561394
>73561487
>also, why not sing and play bass at the same time? Many lead singers play bass.
I've heard its very hard, those who do are very talented musicians, the type of music I get my influences from don't have lead/bass.

But I don't really know.
>>
>>73561487
How does Lou Barlow play bass?
>>
>>73561282
just to show you that it is possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhArYIDEQJM
(the bassist sings while playing on this)

and i sang a duet while playing bass for some talent show a couple months ago and it wasn't too bad. it was just getting the vocals and the bass down separate, then putting it together (i feel like taking it bit by bit works best).
>>
fellow bass player here, it's far better for you to

A learn to play bass and sing
B buy a guitar and learn to play it

also, you're not very clear to yourself
you want to be the lead singer, why would you need a bass VI anyway? it won't make singing and playing easier
>>
>>73561711
He plays thick (typically thrashing) chords which really only works with J. Mascis' playing style. Listen to Dinosaur Jr. to get the gist.
>>
>>73561282

Bass 6s are still hard to play while singing
>>
>>73561282

Bass 6s are better as a studio toy than live (although im sure some crazy fuckers make them work).

They dont really do basslines/grooves that well, but theyre killer for double tracking with single note guitar parts.
>>
hey i'm a musician and expert. if you literally want to copy New Order shit then you want a bass VI. otherwise just get a guitar that you like. there are great bass players who sing lead but it's difficult.
>>
>>73561282
If you have faith in yourself and can make playing one your own niche, go for it.
>>
>>73561282
I have a Bass VI and really like it, but I mostly use it for playing higher up on the neck like Robert Smith does on a lot of Cure songs (all the leads on Pictures of You are done on a Bass VI). Playing higher up on the upper two strings has a pretty neat tone to it.

If you do end up getting a Bass VI, I recommend getting a set up done on it, before having a set up done they tend to have tuning problems. I had a guitar tech do a set up on mine and now it stays in tune fine.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.